Cartridge Case Gauge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Case Gauge

robin303
01-14-2010, 17:49
Do I need one. :dunno:

n2extrm
01-14-2010, 17:58
It is a good investment. What are you loading for? I would say 100% for rifle, pistol is a good idea too. I use them for everything I load. Usualy cheap enough.

G36_Me
01-14-2010, 18:01
yes; buy one when you have to buy something and cannot afford anything. They are cheap and worthwhile.

GioaJack
01-14-2010, 18:09
I'm bored and in a bad mood so I might as well have everyone on here yelling at me... especially C4W.

I certainly understand the use and purpose of a case gauge but I simply don't see what it can do any better than a barrel(s).

Over that last forty something years I've owned easily over 200 different guns and with the exception of rim fires I've loaded for each and every one of them... and I've never owned a case gauge... for rifle or pistol.

I can smell C4W's keyboard burning.

Now, am I saying that my method is the correct way to do it... no. Nothing I do is the correct way. I've I ever had any type of major problems by not having a case gauge(s). No... not in the least.

Chalk it up to ignorance, or the way I learned or the simple fact that a lot of things that are available today weren't available in the '60's so we just figured out ways to do things differently. Maybe not the right way but we still made it work.

Your question was. 'do I NEED a case gauge?' I would say no, you don't NEED one. Should you have one, I'd venture to say the majority of folks on here would say yes.

If I were you I'd take their advise... I'm pretty much dumber than a box of hammers.

Okay, I feel better now. You're on C4W... be nice to me. :supergrin:

Jack

HAMMERHEAD
01-14-2010, 18:15
I like them for auto pistol rounds for a couple of reasons, they're tighter than a pistol chamber, so if the rounds fit the gauge, they will fit in your pistol, or any other pistol. Also if thing are starting to go bad in your reloading process, a gauge will detect the problem sooner than a barrel's chamber.

They're also very convenient at the reloading bench, you can gauge the finished case with one hand as it's coming off the press while the other hand is busy getting the next one ready.

Also it's a pain to field strip and clean your barrel every time you want to reload.

Make sure you get a max cartridge gauge, not just a case gauge.

robin303
01-14-2010, 18:19
It is a good investment. What are you loading for? I would say 100% for rifle, pistol is a good idea too. I use them for everything I load. Usualy cheap enough.

9mm for my G19. They go in the barrel fine when tested. $18.00 wont break me.

Hi Jack. :wavey: I'll stick aroung for your ass chewing. :supergrin:

robin303
01-14-2010, 18:23
Make sure you get a max cartridge gauge, not just a case gauge.

I don't think I seen one of those yet.

HAMMERHEAD
01-14-2010, 18:53
9mm max cartridge gauge (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=888465)

Colorado4Wheel
01-14-2010, 18:58
I'm bored and in a bad mood so I might as well have everyone on here yelling at me... especially C4W.

I certainly understand the use and purpose of a case gauge but I simply don't see what it can do any better than a barrel(s).

Over that last forty something years I've owned easily over 200 different guns and with the exception of rim fires I've loaded for each and every one of them... and I've never owned a case gauge... for rifle or pistol.

Now, am I saying that my method is the correct way to do it... no. Nothing I do is the correct way. I've I ever had any type of major problems by not having a case gauge(s). No... not in the least.

Chalk it up to ignorance, or the way I learned or the simple fact that a lot of things that are available today weren't available in the '60's so we just figured out ways to do things differently. Maybe not the right way but we still made it work.

Your question was. 'do I NEED a case gauge?' I would say no, you don't NEED one. Should you have one, I'd venture to say the majority of folks on here would say yes.

If I were you I'd take their advise... I'm pretty much dumber than a box of hammers.

Jack

I was up surfing the net on my "Playstation 3" thinking "I'm so smart, I don't have to go downstairs to read "GlockTalk" tonight. Then I see this post. Oh, the horrors. :wow:

Anyway, Gio's right. You don't NEED a case gauge. But, if your problem solving a possible case sizing issue it sure is nice. Here are a couple things a case gauge can do (not to be confused with that silly cartridge length gauge thingy for rifle) that a barrel doesn't or doesn't do as well.

1) It will check your rounds to a much higher degree of tollerance then a typical autopistol barrel. It also does not have a ramp that might miss a section of the case.
2) It will check the rim of the case for burrs and other issues. Barrel does not go as far up the case and will never check the rim.
3) It will check the case for proper sizing EVEN IF the bullet is seated too long. So if it fits the casegauge but not your barrel then you know it's hitting the rifling. You can check this other ways buts this is the easy quick way to trouble shoot it if you already have it.
4) It check lenght of the case and bullet.

Nay, you don't need one. Gio surely doesn't. But he's not the one posting "Why doesn't my round go into battery" either. Get a freaking case gauge. It's $12 and will perhaps help you more then you think.

By the way get the Dillon. Stainless Steel, good price. EGW also has a nice 6 hole unit.

dudel
01-14-2010, 19:00
Do I need one. :dunno:

Midway makes some good max guages. You can use the barrel; but you really don't know how it's cut compared to SAMMI specs. For instance, Glock chambers are fairly loose compared to Lone Wolf chambers. What fits in a Glock chamber may not fit in a Lone Wolf chamber. However, if it fits in the case guage, it will fit in both. If you only have a single gun in each caliber, then you could might get along just using the barrel (you may not be able to loan ammo to a buddy). If you have more than one gun with the same chamber, then a case guage is helpful.

I prefer the case guage because it's handier to keep the case guage at the bench, than to take the gun apart when I head to the bench. It's one of the least expensive parts you'll spring for. With proper care, they last forever. I keep mine lightly oiled with some Kroil.

Colorado4Wheel
01-14-2010, 19:01
9mm max cartridge gauge (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=888465)

Do you have that? Is it stainless or steel? If steel does it have a protective coating? I hate things that rust.

GioaJack
01-14-2010, 19:10
I was up surfing the net on my "Playstation 3" thinking "I'm so smart, I don't have to go downstairs to read "GlockTalk" tonight. Then I see this post. Oh, the horrors. :wow:

Anyway, Gio's right. You don't NEED a case gauge. But, if your problem solving a possible case sizing issue it sure is nice. Here are a couple things a case gauge can do (not to be confused with that silly cartridge length gauge thingy for rifle) that a barrel doesn't or doesn't do as well.

1) It will check your rounds to a much higher degree of tollerance then a typical autopistol barrel. It also does not have a ramp that might miss a section of the case.
2) It will check the rim of the case for burrs and other issues. Barrel does not go as far up the case and will never check the rim.
3) It will check the case for proper sizing EVEN IF the bullet is seated too long. So if it fits the casegauge but not your barrel then you know it's hitting the rifling. You can check this other ways buts this is the easy quick way to trouble shoot it if you already have it.
4) It check lenght of the case and bullet.

Nay, you don't need one. Gio surely doesn't. But he's not the one posting "Why doesn't my round go into battery" either. Get a freaking case gauge. It's $12 and will perhaps help you more then you think.

By the way get the Dillon. Stainless Steel, good price. EGW also has a nice 6 hole unit.

Hey, home come I've still got some of my ass left... I was expecting a much worse chewing!

Steve probably want to get back to World at War 2 on his PS3. :whistling:

Jack

robin303
01-14-2010, 20:05
Thanks guys.:thumbsup: I ordered one so I can have another toy to play with.

Well Jack maybe next time. :supergrin:

shotgunred
01-14-2010, 20:18
A case gauge is just a dumbed down version of calipers.
If you own a set of calipers you don't need one. they are easy and convenient though. Buying one for the first caliber you reload isn't a bad idea. After that they are kind of like steve's FCD.

RustyFN
01-14-2010, 20:21
I do the same as Jack. I have dropped some rounds in my Glock and they were fine but they wouldn't chamber in my CZ. CZ's are known for having short chambers. I had to seat the bullets deeper to get them to chamber in my CZ. I don't think a case gage would have caught that.

billy396
01-14-2010, 20:45

Jack

It's true that you can use a barrel for a case gauge, but it's much more cumbersome. I gauge every round that I load in a case gauge, that way I know they're all right, and it's very handy having that little gauge to drop the round into before dropping it into the hopper. If I had to use a barrel, it would certainly slow down my reloading. I'm using a Dillon 550, and I can get quite a few rounds out of 1 short evening. Do that every eve, or even every other evening, and you get into the thousands of rounds quickly.

WiskyT
01-14-2010, 20:54
I have enough crap. I don't care if it will fit in a case guage or not. Will it run in my gun? If yes, that's all I need to know. I don't tumble brass, mic loaded rounds, weigh charges, clean primer pockets, deburr burrs. I have "The Killer Elite" recorded and one of these days when I can get two hours of peace and ****ing quiet I'm going to spend my time watching that.

HAMMERHEAD
01-14-2010, 21:24
Do you have that? Is it stainless or steel? If steel does it have a protective coating? I hate things that rust.
I have the .45acp and .38 Super, 9mm will be soon. They must be plain steel, because they come in a heavy grease.

WiskyT
01-14-2010, 21:27
Just a thought, one could check all his loaded rounds in a case guage right after he runs them through the Lee FCD

W4CNG
01-14-2010, 21:36
I have one for every Pistol cartridge I reload. If it does not fit, it goes into the trash barrel. You get a stuck cartridge you reloaded or bought into your gun you have a mess on your hands including how to get it out without a discharge. I have had 2 times with stuck rounds before getting a case guage for my guns. Yes they are a bit tighter than most barrels and most but not Glock barrels are good guages to check by. I used to have two bags for every reloaded bullet, Glock and Not Glock. I also have one of the new G-RX re-sizing dies for loading 40S&W. I also Chamber Check ALL Personal Protection and Factory Ammo I buy. You would not believe what you can find in a box of ammo off the Dealers shelf. The boxes of ammo have the letters CCQC in Magic Marker printed on them for Chamber Checked Quality Control. My ammo goes bang the first time and never an extraction problem for the last 15 years. Cheap investment for piece of mind.

ron59
01-15-2010, 05:38
You can use a barrel... but using a Glock barrel, it's MUCH tougher to eyeball if it seated all the way down, as something like 1/8" still sticks up out of there (with my 9mm G17).

With a case gauge (at least my 9mm)... it should drop in until the base of the brass is flush with (actually almost LOWER than flush with) the end of the gauge.

Nahhh... for the price, a gauge is WAY easier to use than a barrel ever will be.

As C4W said... the gauge will also catch rounds with burrs on the brass and other things. For less than $20, you can't beat it.

Colorado4Wheel
01-15-2010, 07:45
If you own a set of calipers you don't need one. they are easy and convenient though. Buying one for the first caliber you reload isn't a bad idea. After that they are kind of like steve's FCD.

Hardly, a dumbed down version. :rofl:

Try checking all your match ammo with calipers. 130rds a week about a minute per round. Even then you could miss something because your checking a cylinder with a one deminensional tool.

Colorado4Wheel
01-15-2010, 07:55
I do the same as Jack. I have dropped some rounds in my Glock and they were fine but they wouldn't chamber in my CZ. CZ's are known for having short chambers. I had to seat the bullets deeper to get them to chamber in my CZ. I don't think a case gage would have caught that.

Thats kinda the point. It will help you figure out exactly that type of thing. You no longer guess about the ammo being in spec. If it fits in the case gauge then it's in spec (not including the shape of the bullet which the case gauge does not check). If it fits in the case gauge but not your barrel then you know it's the bullet hitting something or the chamber to small. If sized brass fits in the case gauge and the barrel then you know it's not the brass. If sized brass fits in the case gauge but not the barrel you know it's the barrel. You can then get the barrel fixed or choose to load around the issue. You can do it with calipers if you like as well. But the case gauge is a lot quicker and better at catching some things.

GlockMonk
01-15-2010, 10:42
I use case gauge for evey round that I load. If it does not fit in the case gauge, I mark it at the bottom with a magic marker, then I set them aside. I would then check those in the chamber, and if they fit easily, I just shoot them.

But I do not reuse those particular brass, and just chuck them in the recycling bin.

GlockMonk

grenadier
01-15-2010, 11:11
I use cartridge gauges for all of my handloads.

I use the Dillon gauges, since they're stainless steel, brighter polished, and don't rust.

ron59
01-15-2010, 11:40
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by shotgunred http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14547269#post14547269)
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Hardly, a dumbed down version. :rofl:

Try checking all your match ammo with calipers. 130rds a week about a minute per round. Even then you could miss something because your checking a cylinder with a one deminensional tool.

Gotta say I MORE than agree with C4W on this. I also hand gauge EVERY round I assemble. Couldn't even imagine doing the job with a calipers... what a nightmare.

thorn137
01-15-2010, 11:44
I don't want to field strip a pistol every time I reload; a case gauge is a lot more convenient. Plus, I don't care if i drop the gauge on the floor. I do care about my barrel hitting the floor.

A gauge is fully "supported" all the way around the rim. Not all barrels are.' A caliper is a required tool when reloading, but it isn't the best tool for THIS job. Caliper 300 rounds on multiple angles? Yeah, right. ;)

I gauge every single 9mm I make. In the past few thousand rounds I've reloaded, I got 2 9x18 cases in the mix. They reloaded just fine; only the gauge caught them. Would they have caused damage if fired? I honestly don't know, but I do know that I'm glad I have a gauge to help find those errors.

thorn

PBKing
01-15-2010, 12:15
Super...You can load with or without. Life is good.
Aside from that, there just seems to be to many good things about having a Case Gage to not have one in your kit. At least you have a standard to work by. The cost is not much considering.

Colorado4Wheel
01-15-2010, 16:28
I don't want to field strip a pistol every time I reload; a case gauge is a lot more convenient. Plus, I don't care if i drop the gauge on the floor. I do care about my barrel hitting the floor.

thorn

Thats actually how I ended up with one. For the longest time I thought I didn't "need" one. Well, I didn't need it, but it sure is nice. It's much better then my Glock barrel and even much better then the LW barrel. It just makes things so much easier. Fiddling around with a dirty barrle just got old. Yep, I don't clean my gun every time I use it. Sure don't like having it torn apart on my bench every time I want to check my ammo either. To me thats just silly when the thing cost $12. If you order one straight from Dillon you get a free Blue Press every month. NICE.

unclebob
01-15-2010, 16:49
The only ammo that I run threw the gauge is the ammo that I use for competition. If they donít pass the gauge they go into the practice bag. I have not had a round yet that did not pass the gauge that would not feed in any of my Glock even the ones with the KKM barrels.

RustyFN
01-15-2010, 18:36
Thats kinda the point. It will help you figure out exactly that type of thing. You no longer guess about the ammo being in spec.

Steve correct me if I'm wrong. I thought a case gage was made for max cartridge length. How does it check for a barrel that has a short chamber?

Great point Thorn. I only check a new load I'm working up in the barrel to make sure it will chamber. Once I know it's good and I find the load I want I don't check any more, I just go into mass production.

HAMMERHEAD
01-15-2010, 19:28
I thought a case gage was made for max cartridge length. How does it check for a barrel that has a short chamber?

Looking at my gauges again, they cannot check for a bullet seated out too far and interfering with the leade (throat). If your pistol has a short jump to the rifling (like CZ's?), a gauge won't catch that, it will only check OAL of the cartridge.
There is no throat section in the gauges.

Colorado4Wheel
01-15-2010, 20:28
Steve correct me if I'm wrong. I thought a case gage was made for max cartridge length. How does it check for a barrel that has a short chamber?

By eliminating everything else your only left with one option. Casegauge will help you eliminate other options as I described before. It's just a tool to help you trouble shoot. Thats what I was trying to tell Chris (VA guy). Eliminating issues shows the real problem. Then either work around it or fix the problem.

DEADLYACCURATE
01-15-2010, 20:37
I've never used one, and I'm still alive and loadin.

robin303
02-12-2010, 23:46
Outstanding feedback.:thumbsup:

fredj338
02-13-2010, 01:42
Like Jack, I've loaded w/o case gages for decades now. They are more convenient than pulling a barrel, but they also don't tell you if you have proper OAL for that barrel. Calipers are fine for OAL, but the case gage does catch the odd oversize round you probably won't measure w/ calipers. I finally bought some for my service calibers. It's good to check match ammo with, prevents the odd FT feed from an oversize round. You still need to use the bbls of your gun to set proper OAL, case gage doesn't help you there.

dudel
02-13-2010, 03:14
Need? No. You can always use the chamber of the gun you'll be using. Using your barrel will test the rounds to your specific needs. Your chamber might be tighter than spec.

The case guage is easier than having to take down the gun each time you want to test rounds. It will test to SAMI specs.

Colorado4Wheel
02-13-2010, 06:53
Like Jack, I've loaded w/o case gages for decades now. They are more convenient than pulling a barrel, but they also don't tell you if you have proper OAL for that barrel. Calipers are fine for OAL, but the case gage does catch the odd oversize round you probably won't measure w/ calipers. I finally bought some for my service calibers. It's good to check match ammo with, prevents the odd FT feed from an oversize round. You still need to use the bbls of your gun to set proper OAL, case gage doesn't help you there.

I always check OAL in the barrel. After that when I know what that barrel can handle I use the case gauge to check the batch I made. OAL is barrel specific. Case gauge does check lower on the case which is also nice.

HAMMERHEAD
02-13-2010, 07:59
I lived without them for years, but now that I have them, I like them, especially since I've started using plated bullets in my .45 acp. The plating can catch on the case mouth and 'skid' up the side of the bullet. Then they wont fully chamber. A calipers won't catch that, and I don't like taking my pistol down to barrel check every round.