Punch sizes. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Punch sizes.

NeverMore1701
01-14-2010, 21:17
I cut down the FSB so my rail would fit. It works fine, but Troy was kind enough to send me a free low profile GB, and I want to put it on. I have no punches, so I figure I should pick up a basic set. What are the most often used punch sizes when working on an AR platform?

steve1911
01-15-2010, 00:51
I use the Brownells, roll pin punches set, and Brownells roll pin holders starter/setter punches kit. you can get them single or in a kit.

1911club#410

Onmilo
01-15-2010, 07:40
Go to Brownells and order the taper pin starter punch, a 3/16" standard punch, and a front sight base fixture/.bench block if you are intending to remove your old taper pinned sight block.
These items make the whole process easy. hth

bdh_1
01-15-2010, 07:57
While the roll pin starter punches and roll pin punches are handy to have for building from a stripped lower, they are not the punches to use for the FSB. If you try to use them for that you'll have a lot of difficulties and tear up the punches, possibly damage the pins, and possibly damage the FSB. Roll pin punches are for roll pins, the ones which look like curled sheet metal, as they have a protrusion in the center to assist with keeping the center of the pin from being damaged. Cup tip punches are recessed in the center to be used for solid pins with slightly domed ends.

SLR15
01-15-2010, 22:29
I cut down the FSB so my rail would fit. It works fine, but Troy was kind enough to send me a free low profile GB, and I want to put it on. I have no punches, so I figure I should pick up a basic set. What are the most often used punch sizes when working on an AR platform?

Punch sizes that we use when teaching armorer courses are:

1/16 Pin Punch
5/64 Pin Punch
3/32 Pin Punch
1/8 Pin Punch

3/32 Roll Pin Punch
1/8 Roll Pin Punch
5/32 Roll Pin Punch

2/32 Nail Set
3/32 Nail Set

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles (http://www.slr15.com)
TheDefensiveEdge.com (http://www.thedefensiveedge.com)

Onmilo
01-15-2010, 23:54
I might be wrong here, but a 2/32" nail set is also known as a 1/16" nail set.
the nail set punches are used to remove the taper pins and the Brownells taper pin starter punches really are nothing more than longer than normal Nail set punches.