AA 22LR Conversion mags: higher capacity? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AA 22LR Conversion mags: higher capacity?

Gforty
01-14-2010, 22:10
I recall seeing threads here about increasing AA 22LR mag capacity by the use of shorter spring pads. I've looked, but those threads have disappeared, or at least, I can't find them.
Can anyone help?

FlyfishermanMike
01-14-2010, 23:13
I think this is the one you're looking for. Page 3

AA Converstion Stuff (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009833&highlight=Advantage+arms+conversion+problems)

I just read it today. I can't even figure out how to get my 29-30 mags apart! I think it may have something to do with the large mag base on the 29-30's.

http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Mag5.jpg
17-22 Above
Vs.
29-30 Below
http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Mag4.jpg

I still don't know why some other company, outside of California, hasn't made large capacity mags for these AA kits. They would sell like hot cakes! Let me know know if figure out anything usable.

^^ike

Gallium
01-14-2010, 23:19
Gonna be a ***** to get >10 rimfire rounds in a straight mag eh?

'drew

GarryK
01-15-2010, 01:43
Gonna be a ***** to get >10 rimfire rounds in a straight mag eh?

'drew

Seems like you could get close to 25-30 22lr rounds in a mag that big. I have ordered 3 more for my kit, but really, 10? I know its because AA is in CA, but still, what a pain.

TEX
01-15-2010, 07:05
Only works with the newer style AA magazines, which come apart like most mags: depress nipple on mag base button and slide mag base off. I have used an AA model 26 follower and mag base in a modle AA model 23 new style mag and get 12 rounds out of it. Has been reliable so far.

Gforty
01-15-2010, 19:28
I think this is the one you're looking for. Page 3

AA Converstion Stuff (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009833&highlight=Advantage+arms+conversion+problems)

I just read it today... ^^ike

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's it!
Thanks!:supergrin:

TEX
01-17-2010, 05:11
I have owned my AA kit a very long time. There are a couple of things I have discovered over the course of time. I probably have close to 10K rounds through mine and have only replaced the extractor spring and firing pin (striker spring) twice.

The kits seem to prefer Remington Golden Bullets. I have tried just about everything, but nothing has been as consistant as the Rem GB. It also seems to like Stingers, but I bought the kit to keep ammo cost down and Stingers are a bit pricey.

You cannot run the conversion kit as dirty as you can the Glock upper. You probably need to clead it up a bit after a couple of hundred rounds, especially the chamber, ramp and rear of the barrel where it matches up with the breech.

You need to lubricate it quite abit more than you do your Glock upper. Unlike a Glock upper it likes lighter weight oil just fine. Breakfree spray seems to work well.

As with most .22 rimfires, it does not like to be dry fired without something like old brass or a snap cap to keep the steel firing pin from smaking into the steel back of the breech. Usually damages the firing pin

Mine took a couple of hundred rounds to break in.

Contrary to convential wisdom, the vast majority of double feeds are caused by a failure to extract, not bad mgazines.

I have about a 5% malfunction rate with my kit, but I am happy with this as it allows me to practice my malfunction drills. Equally divided by about thirds, I get failures to fire, failures to fully chamber and failures to extract, which causes a double feed. The first two, I feel are actually ammo problems.

AA customer service has been great in my case, but it is my understanding that AA was bought out a while back and I have not had any dealings with the new company.

I do wish AA made a slightly stronger extractor spring. I think this would reduced the failure to extract malfunctions. I also wish they would make high capacity mags for out of state sales of move from California to a gun friendly state that allows hi-caps - or at least sell the Model 26 mag parts necessary to make my mags high capacity.