Opinions on the Springfield Professional. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Springfield Professional.

Blaster
01-15-2010, 08:02
I'm thinking about getting a Springfield Professional. I would like to hear any thought on this pistol.

GJ1981
01-15-2010, 08:18
Great 1911, I just received my second one recently.

The best thing you could do is look at a TRP to get a general feel. Some people hate the non highcut front strap and 20lpi checkering, the TRP would have both these features. The Pro will feel different in some areas but the TRP at least gives you an idea.

I'm not impressed with the wear resistance of the Black-T finish, but that's just me too. I don't baby my carry pistols, but I don't abuse them either.

They build them tight so some rounds downrange will be in order, but I would shoot any new pistol the same so to me it is a moot point.

Unless you're lucky and find one in stock, or are willing to pay more, expect a long wait. I waited close to 16 months for mine.

ETA - Here is a bland report I did on mine.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160243

Officer's Match
01-15-2010, 08:23
Tough to find a significantly better 1911.

MD357
01-15-2010, 10:18
Great platform from the best factory custom shop out there. At their given current price point and recent spec changes I'm not thinking they are a great deal to civilians but that's just me. However, I've been keeping my eye open for a deal on a used one for some time now. Especially a...... :close your eyes Bac:...... railed version.

RetailNinja
01-15-2010, 11:57
Not a fan of 20lpi or a non undercut trigger guard...IMO

For the money and the wait, I'd rather have a Baer SRP

PlasticGuy
01-15-2010, 12:20
Not a fan of 20lpi or a non undercut trigger guard...
I agree completely, and this alone is the reason I have passed up buying a Pro on two occasions. These are the only complaints I have though, and the Pro is a fantastic 1911 for a guy who has a taste for these features.

Mayhem like Me
01-15-2010, 12:24
I have shot them and love them but prefer different specs on my 1911's so it's not on my must have list..

If you like a non undercut trigger gaurd and very nice 20lpI checkering it may be for you Tip: they are a screaming deal used.....saw one locally for 1650.. owner was selling to by a NOVESKE ar during the Obama gun stimulus sales scare.

Blaster
01-15-2010, 14:10
OH well, there was a Pro on Guns America but it's gone now.

I just spent too much time thinking about it. Mostly because the specs were not quite what I was looking for.

I handled a TRP yesterday and it felt nice. However the 20 lpi checkering did feel a little aggressive I think if I had a choice I would pick 25 lpi. Trying some presentations from the ready position with the TRP revealed my experience with Glocks. The TRP with a flat mainspring consistently pointed low. I had to readjust my wrist to bring the front sight up and into the notch.

I do like the reputation of the Professional but in a perfect world I would outfit it with a arched main spring housing and a short trigger. Also ditch the Novak sites and go with Heinie ledge sites or the 10-8 site. I just do not like the Novak rear site. Then to top it off I would replace the Black-T with Ion Bond DLC.

MD357
01-15-2010, 14:25
OH well, there was a Pro on Guns America but it's gone now.

I just spent too much time thinking about it. Mostly because the specs were not quite what I was looking for.

I handled a TRP yesterday and it felt nice. However the 20 lpi checkering did feel a little aggressive I think if I had a choice I would pick 25 lpi. Trying some presentations from the ready position with the TRP revealed my experience with Glocks. The TRP with a flat mainspring consistently pointed low. I had to readjust my wrist to bring the front sight up and into the notch.

I do like the reputation of the Professional but in a perfect world I would outfit it with a arched main spring housing and a short trigger. Also ditch the Novak sites and go with Heinie ledge sites or the 10-8 site. I just do not like the Novak rear site. Then to top it off I would replace the Black-T with Ion Bond DLC.

FWIW, the Springfield custom shop does really nice work. Sounds like you just need to either order what you want built OR send them a base gun. You will almost certainly get back before you would if you ordered a Pro.

Rinspeed
01-15-2010, 14:58
Last I knew the SA Custom Carry was around $1600-1700. It has the same build quality as the PRO with fewer features such as the Black T finish, ambi safety, mags and checkering. When I bought my Baer the Custom Carry was one of my other choices but I couldn't find one in stock. Very few 1911s share the same universal popularity/acceptance as the PRO. I always thought it was odd that some say the Baers are overly tight in one breath yet recommend the PRO in another. :dunno:

GJ1981
01-15-2010, 15:03
FWIW, the Springfield custom shop does really nice work. Sounds like you just need to either order what you want built OR send them a base gun.

:agree:

I am ironing out the final details for a build I'm going to have them do. They are very flexible on options, I'm using Ed Brown parts, C&S, Kart, etc with no trouble. I don't know if the other "custom" shops are that flexible.

The wait on the other hand might be close to the Pro's. I have a quote of 10-12 months for my build. Some dealers already have Pro's on order so you could get lucky and have a shorter wait.

bac1023
01-15-2010, 19:01
I love Springfield Custom. I don't own a Pro, but I do own a TGO1 and love it.

I feel its one of my very best 1911s. :)

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_1673.jpg

wrenrj1
01-15-2010, 19:06
This may not apply to this pistol, but doesn't it bother anyone that Springfield 1911's are stamped "Made in Brazil?" Also, weren't XD's initially made in Croatia?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

bac1023
01-15-2010, 19:57
This may not apply to this pistol, but doesn't it bother anyone that Springfield 1911's are stamped "Made in Brazil?" Also, weren't XD's initially made in Croatia?

I believe all of Springfield frames and slides are made in Brazil from IMBEL steel, which is very good quality. The lower end Springfield 1911s are built in Brazil.

The Pro certainly isn't.

It would bother me if a $2500 1911 was built in Brazil, but the models that are built in Brazil don't bother me in the least.

txgolfer45
01-15-2010, 20:23

Mine is stamped Geneseo, IL. Last I checked, that is in the USA!

bac1023
01-15-2010, 20:28

Its just the GI, MilSpec, and some Loaded models that are built in Brazil.

Rinspeed
01-16-2010, 13:16
Its just the GI, MilSpec, and some Loaded models that are built in Brazil.

A few of them are finished in the states and not stamped Made in Brazil.

wrenrj1
01-16-2010, 18:16

Here is what I was referring to regarding the XD's origions:

The HS2000 was adopted by the Croatian military and law enforcement as a standard issue sidearm and continues to fill that role today.[citation needed] The pistol was initially exported to the US market by Intrac and distributed by HSAmerica who sold the pistol in 9 mm as the HS2000.[4]

In 2002, Springfield Armory, Inc. negotiated licensing rights to the US market, and changed the name to the XD-9 (X-treme Duty 9x19mm).

-Source: Wikipedia

Officer's Match
01-16-2010, 19:23

NM prefix on serial number IIRC.

bac1023
01-16-2010, 19:41

Very true. :)

bac1023
01-16-2010, 20:30
Great platform from the best factory custom shop out there. At their given current price point and recent spec changes I'm not thinking they are a great deal to civilians but that's just me. However, I've been keeping my eye open for a deal on a used one for some time now. Especially a...... :close your eyes Bac:...... railed version.

Say it isn't so!

:rofl:

Black Cloud
01-17-2010, 00:14
I'm thinking about getting a Springfield Professional. I would like to hear any thought on this pistol.

It is a great pistol.
Honestly most people canít tell the difference from a custom 1911 and a RIA if they were blindfolded. :whistling: Unless you are like Bac and many other 1911 connoisseurs, Iíll go with the TRP, and put that extra money towards ammo, training, etc.

bac1023
01-17-2010, 06:51
It is a great pistol.
Honestly most people canít tell the difference from a custom 1911 and a RIA if they were blindfolded. :whistling: Unless you are like Bac and many other 1911 connoisseurs, Iíll go with the TRP, and put that extra money towards ammo, training, etc.

Well, they TRP is a good 1911 too, but is a production gun, of course.

MD357
01-17-2010, 10:57
It is a great pistol.
Honestly most people can’t tell the difference from a custom 1911 and a RIA if they were blindfolded. :whistling: Unless you are like Bac and many other 1911 connoisseurs, I’ll go with the TRP, and put that extra money towards ammo, training, etc.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/malcolmjavarb/crack.jpg

To be honest the Professional doesn't have any cosmetic enhancements. I'm going to go ahead and say you've never handled one by your comments as anyone with even remdial 1911 experience could tell the difference when they racked the slide on a Pro vs TRP.

bac1023
01-17-2010, 11:15
To be honest the Professional doesn't have any cosmetic enhancements. I'm going to go ahead and say you've never handled one by your comments as anyone with even remdial 1911 experience could tell the difference when they racked the slide on a Pro vs TRP.

Very true.

Its easy to tell the different. Its significant.

Short Cut
01-17-2010, 11:21
The Springfield Professional is an exceptionally well made 1911. Yes it is pricey, but imo it is a good value in high end semi custom market. Springfield's custom shop guns are compare most closely to Baers for value and I believe are a better value than similiarly appointed Wilson and Nighthawks.

The Professional is only built to the exact specs of the FBI so if you want something done inherently different, like front strap checkering, you need to buy another model as the Pro is only built one way.

That being said I really like what the gun has to offer for a carry pistol. It's slide to frame fit couldn't be better and its lockup is the best I've felt. The 20 lpi checkering affords a great purchase of the gun and I added the medium grip Alumagrips to enhance that feeling. The only other change on mine is a single sided thumb safety, which I much prefer for carry.

I wouldn't mind having a higher cut front strap, but this is a pretty minor issue for me. I also like the nice touches like a well blended extended mag well, recessed slide stop on the right side of the gun and how smoothly blended the front sight is to the slide.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/JMB1911/ProfessionalSOG2.jpg

bac1023
01-17-2010, 11:22
I think I may have to eventually get a Pro. ;)

Blaster
01-17-2010, 15:29
The only other change on mine is a single sided thumb safety, which I much prefer for carry.

Very nice. I would do the same and ditch the ambi safety.

bac1023
01-17-2010, 15:35
I like the black Alumigrips, SC.

Short Cut
01-17-2010, 15:48
I like the black Alumigrips, SC.

Thanks, though the lighting makes them look dark they are actually OD. The black ones are really nice too though.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/JMB1911/UMCHCAlumagripsleftAE.jpg

bac1023
01-17-2010, 15:52
I always love that pic of your Ultimate Master. :thumbsup:

Drjones
01-17-2010, 16:16

I own two, so I have a little experience with them & know a thing or two about them.

They are, IMO, the best 1911 on the market. No other particular model has been as thoroughly wrung out as the Professional.

There are lots of other fine 1911s out there of course, but again, my opinion is that the Pro is the finest. You certainly can't argue that it hasn't proven itself.

It is the finest specimen from what is the finest pistol platform ever produced.

It is absolutely solid and the overall fit & finish are absolutely first-rate.

They are built for the FBI's HRT, and the ones that make it into civilian hands are overruns from a particular batch; the guys building them have no idea if a particular gun will end up in the hands of the HRT or a civilian, so they are all built to the same standards.

Only around 3,500 have been built currently, so they are a rather exclusive item.

Again, you can't find a better gun for the money, IMO.

bac1023
01-17-2010, 19:27
I own two, so I have a little experience with them & know a thing or two about them.

They are, IMO, the best 1911 on the market. No other particular model has been as thoroughly wrung out as the Professional.

There are lots of other fine 1911s out there of course, but again, my opinion is that the Pro is the finest. You certainly can't argue that it hasn't proven itself.

It is the finest specimen from what is the finest pistol platform ever produced.

It is absolutely solid and the overall fit & finish are absolutely first-rate.

They are built for the FBI's HRT, and the ones that make it into civilian hands are overruns from a particular batch; the guys building them have no idea if a particular gun will end up in the hands of the HRT or a civilian, so they are all built to the same standards.

Only around 3,500 have been built currently, so they are a rather exclusive item.

Again, you can't find a better gun for the money, IMO.

The Pro is great, no doubt. However, saying its the finest 1911 is a tall order. :wow:

;)

drc767
01-17-2010, 19:34
The Pro is great, no doubt. However, saying its the finest 1911 is a tall order. :wow:

;)

I don't own one, but I gotta agree with Bac.......That is a pretty bold statement.

Officer's Match
01-17-2010, 19:51
Thanks, though the lighting makes them look dark they are actually OD. The black ones are really nice too though.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/JMB1911/UMCHCAlumagripsleftAE.jpg

I love the job both Baer and Wilson do with trigger guard undercutting. As Bac alluded, that is a fantastic pistol.

bac1023
01-17-2010, 20:10
I love the job both Baer and Wilson do with trigger guard undercutting. As Bac alluded, that is a fantastic pistol.

If I ever got another Baer, it would be an Ultimate Master.

MD357
01-17-2010, 23:01
I like SA but there's some serious koolaid drinkin goin on there. :rofl:

Drjones
01-18-2010, 10:10

;)

I don't own one, but I gotta agree with Bac.......That is a pretty bold statement.

That's why I said it's MY OPINION. ;)

I've seen & handled a lot of different 1911s - nowhere near as many as Bac, of course - and the Pro is the best of them, IMO.

I really don't see the big deal about Wilsons and Nighthawks - again, IMO they are overrated. Ed Brown makes a darned nice 1911, and I'd love to own one or two some day.

But the no-nonsense, all business look and build of the Pro really do it for me, and again, it has proven itself in some pretty rigorous tests. Needless to say, it has also functioned flawlessly for me personally for several thousand rounds too.

wrenrj1
01-18-2010, 18:43
The Professional is only built to the exact specs of the FBI so if you want something done inherently different, like front strap checkering, you need to buy another model as the Pro is only built one way.

Not to go off in another direction, but does the FBI now carry this weapon now that it's built to its specs? Also, do they get a good deal on the watch and knife as well?

Just curious...

Drjones
01-19-2010, 09:36
Not to go off in another direction, but does the FBI now carry this weapon now that it's built to its specs? Also, do they get a good deal on the watch and knife as well?

Just curious...

What?

The gun is built specifically for the FBI's HRT - they have a contract with Springfield. Of course the FBI carries it.

Am I missing something here?:dunno:

Rinspeed
01-19-2010, 10:04

Don't feel bad, I have do idea what he is trying to ask either.

Mayhem like Me
01-19-2010, 12:54
What?

The gun is built specifically for the FBI's HRT - they have a contract with Springfield. Of course the FBI carries it.

FBI regional SWAT teams also carry this weapon.

nastytrigger
01-19-2010, 15:31
I'm sure someones already asked, but the Professional originally came with Wilson 8rd mags, correct? Now they come with Metalform 7rd. Why the switch? I remember something about the 8rd springs... can't remember, too lazy to search...

wrenrj1
01-19-2010, 18:35
What?

I did have a brain fart about the HRT.

It was my lame attempt at a joke, meaning do they also wear the matching watch and knife. Guess the point of a joke is that it must be funny...I'll try harder next time.

Short Cut
01-19-2010, 19:19
Also, do they get a good deal on the watch and knife as well?

Just curious...

Yeah if you buy the Pro the watch and knife are free, which is a bargain for only $5,000.

Drjones
01-19-2010, 19:43
I'm sure someones already asked, but the Professional originally came with Wilson 8rd mags, correct? Now they come with Metalform 7rd. Why the switch? I remember something about the 8rd springs... can't remember, too lazy to search...

I don't think it has ever come with 8 rounders.

Drjones
01-19-2010, 19:43
I did have a brain fart about the HRT.

It was my lame attempt at a joke, meaning do they also wear the matching watch and knife. Guess the point of a joke is that it must be funny...I'll try harder next time.

Ah. Gotcha. ;)

bac1023
01-19-2010, 20:10
Yeah if you buy the Pro the watch and knife are free, which is a bargain for only $5,000.

Drjones
01-19-2010, 20:22
FBI regional SWAT teams also carry this weapon.

Sure, but my understanding is that the contract was originally for pistols for the HRT only.

hatidua
01-19-2010, 21:24
I like 'em. I foolishly sold one but still have a few:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/hatidua/3pros.jpg

bac1023
01-20-2010, 23:09
Very impressive collection of Pros. :cool:

hatidua
01-20-2010, 23:28
thanks, I think I'm only about 75-80 1911's shy of catching up with you ;)

bac1023
01-21-2010, 05:14
thanks, I think I'm only about 75-80 1911's shy of catching up with you ;)

Nah, I've got only 45, with 46 and 47 on the way soon. ;)

I don't have a Pro though. :crying:

Quack
01-22-2010, 18:57
i fondled a Pro today at a gun shop out here in Kalifornia. It's nice, pretty much fit like my TGO-1. i almost bought it, but stopped myself because i'm going to call the Custom Shop to have a gun built.

If someone is looking for one, it's at Fowler's in Orange, CA.

also got to finally fondle a Nighthawk. they had a GRP. nice gun, but could they make the GRP roll mark any larger? :rofl:

bac1023
01-22-2010, 19:33
i fondled a Pro today at a gun shop out here in Kalifornia. It's nice, pretty much fit like my TGO-1. i almost bought it, but stopped myself because i'm going to call the Custom Shop to have a gun built.

If someone is looking for one, it's at Fowler's in Orange, CA.

also got to finally fondle a Nighthawk. they had a GRP. nice gun, but could they make the GRP roll mark any larger? :rofl:

The GRP roll mark is ridiculous.

Quack
01-22-2010, 19:49
i think they could be a little larger.

drc767
01-22-2010, 21:15
The GRP roll mark is ridiculous.

That damn GRP roll mark would be big on a 9 inch slide.....It is horrendous on a 5" slide!! :)

Cochese
01-23-2010, 00:18
I like 'em. I foolishly sold one but still have a few:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/hatidua/3pros.jpg

We may have to put aside our differences on police so I can come over and fondle your Pros until mine arrives. :supergrin:

BOGE
01-23-2010, 08:48

Nah, I've got only 45, with 46 and 47 on the way soon. ;)..

Pray tell what you have on the back burner, Bac. Share, please. :dunno:

bubbaskyjacker
01-23-2010, 13:32
it seems people are talking about the trp as the Professional, NOT the same. the actual Professional is hard to get and expensive. it is the gun that is contracted to the fbi. the trp custom or pro is completely different.

there is one on calguns for 2800, trp are 1/2 as much

for that $$$ you can get a custom 1911 or , nighthawk (saw one with 50k rounds through it and it looked like new) ed brown, les baer, wilson combat, fusion, caspian, dw almost any one you wanted

Quack
01-23-2010, 18:43
it seems people are talking about the trp as the Professional, NOT the same. the actual Professional is hard to get and expensive. it is the gun that is contracted to the fbi. the trp custom or pro is completely different.

for that $$$ you can get a custom 1911 or , nighthawk (saw one with 50k rounds through it and it looked like new) ed brown, les baer, wilson combat, fusion, caspian, dw almost any one you wanted

uh, i think we're all talking about the Professional here.
the mention of the TRP was so the OP can get the feel of what the Pro will feel like.

Have you handled or shot a Custom Shop gun? they are every bit as good as a Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk and Baer in the same price range. I don't think you can put DW and Fusion in this category.

bac1023
01-23-2010, 20:16

We're all talking about the Pro and they're every bit as good as the others you mentioned.

bubbaskyjacker
01-23-2010, 20:18
Ive shot my uncles professional and it was sweet! it was the first 1911 i ever shot so was cursed from the begging, like getting a Ferrari when your 16.

there are alot of guys out there that say the DW valor is up there , just what i heard. i have a pm7 inbound.

bubbaskyjacker
01-23-2010, 20:20
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=258166&highlight=professional

Quack
01-23-2010, 20:48
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=258166&highlight=professional

there's a shop down the road (in Orange, CA) that has a NIB Pro too.

Rinspeed
01-23-2010, 21:58

A lot of your confusion comes from the fact that for years SA marketed the Professional as the TRP Pro.

bac1023
01-23-2010, 22:16
A lot of your confusion comes from the fact that for years SA marketed the Professional as the TRP Pro.

Yeah, that is true.

GVFlyer
01-23-2010, 23:05
there's a shop down the road (in Orange, CA) that has a NIB Pro too.

It's been a long time since I've been to the Fowler Gun Room, is the original owner's son, Brad, running the store?

Quack
01-23-2010, 23:09
Have no idea, just stopped by yesterday.
I always try to check out gun shops when i'm on the road.

R0CKETMAN
01-24-2010, 06:35
I'm sure it's been covered, but could they not get an 8 rnd to function with HP's / Sabers?

My 8rnd powermags are getting a FTF on the last round using 200 gr DT HP bonded. Looking at the Powermag + now. I've yet to try one of the metalforms that came with it as I prefer an 8.

Very fine pistol BTW

bac1023
01-24-2010, 06:58
Pray tell what you have on the back burner, Bac. Share, please. :dunno:

BOGE, one is a full custom build from EGW, the second will be a surprise. :)

Quack
01-24-2010, 09:44
the second will be a surprise. :)

a Para double stack with rail? :rofl:

bac1023
01-24-2010, 09:49
a Para double stack with rail? :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quack
01-24-2010, 09:55
your 3 favorites right? :rofl:

bac1023
01-24-2010, 10:16
your 3 favorites right? :rofl:

I like Para a hell of a lot better then Taurus. ;)

Quack
01-24-2010, 10:33
I like Para a hell of a lot better then Taurus. ;)

wait a minute now, IIRC, you said somewhere that you liked the Taurus better than the Para's (with the exception of the GI Expert) :whistling:

bac1023
01-24-2010, 10:43
wait a minute now, IIRC, you said somewhere that you liked the Taurus better than the Para's (with the exception of the GI Expert) :whistling:

Noooo.

I don't ever recall saying that. If so, I miss worded it.

I like the fact that Taurus uses forged frames and slides, while Para's are both cast. However, Paras are a better built 1911, IMO.

MD357
01-24-2010, 17:19
Go easy on Bac..... Choosing Par or Taurus is like choosing between Feinstein or Hillary....

No matter what you're gonna hate yourself in the morning.

bac1023
01-24-2010, 18:59
Go easy on Bac..... Choosing Par or Taurus is like choosing between Feinstein or Hillary....

No matter what you're gonna hate yourself in the morning.

Yeah, very true.

At least I never had a Para fall apart on me. ;)

Drjones
01-25-2010, 08:34
I'm sure it's been covered, but could they not get an 8 rnd to function with HP's / Sabers?

My 8rnd powermags are getting a FTF on the last round using 200 gr DT HP bonded. Looking at the Powermag + now. I've yet to try one of the metalforms that came with it as I prefer an 8.

Very fine pistol BTW

You're shooting those 8 rounders through a Pro & getting failures?

Also, I'm confused; are you shooting Golden Sabers or DTs?

In any case, obviously try different mags. The ones that came with mine work perfectly, of course, and I once ran an 8 round Wilson through my Pro & it worked fine too.

This is exactly the reason lots of guys don't use or trust the 8 rounders; they don't always work. ;)

Short Cut
01-25-2010, 10:28
I have a number of 1911s and a bunch of different magazines from different makers. Some 1911s need experimenting to find mags and ammo that work best, however the Professional isn't one of them. My Professional just runs no matter what mags and/or ammo I feed it. I routinely shoot it with 10 round mags and they work great too. It is a very confidence inspiring pistol.

bac1023
01-25-2010, 18:27
I have a number of 1911s and a bunch of different magazines from different makers. Some 1911s need experimenting to find mags and ammo that work best, however the Professional isn't one of them. My Professional just runs no matter what mags and/or ammo I feed it. I routinely shoot it with 10 round mags and they work great too. It is a very confidence inspiring pistol.

Yeah, I guess I need to finally get a Pro. :cool: