Kahr P45 vs CW45 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kahr P45 vs CW45

BFN
01-15-2010, 10:16
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I have some specific questions.

Polygonal vs grooved rifling. I asked this question on the Glock forum, there was no conclusive data or answers regarding improved velocity or accuracy from polygonal barrels.

1. Is there any velocity comparisons with P45 and CW45?

2. Does the "match grade" polygonal barrel of P45 show better accuracy over CW45?

The slide is more blocky on the CW45, which I don't like as well, but the slightly added weight of the slide and barrel could be an advantage in performance of this small gun (recoil, reliable loading, ejecting etc). It seems there may be fewer complaints on the CW45 than P45, from comments I have read.

3. Is the CW45 more reliable than P45? (loading, ejecting, etc).

4. Is there any other non-cost advantages/disadvantages with one or the other?

Thanks

Catshooter
01-15-2010, 14:19
I can only answer some of your Q's.

1. Velocity varies from gun to gun as much or more than you will see between polygonal vs. cut rifling.

Cat

Cowart
01-15-2010, 21:07
Is there any other non-cost advantages/disadvantages with one or the other?Yes - the conventional rifling in the CW series allows the use of cheaper lead-bullet reloads for practice.

Catshooter
01-16-2010, 12:12
Yes - the conventional rifling in the CW series allows the use of cheaper lead-bullet reloads for practice.

Oh wait one on this. Cut rifling allows more casual, it'll work fine without checking use of lead bullets.

Polygonal rifling can work just fine with lead, you just have to be more aware of leading. For my PM45, I found a load that doesn't lead at all, thus worry free shooting with my home cast bullets.

Cat

BFN
01-16-2010, 20:38
Thanks so far. It sounds as though the polygonal barrel may not be worth the extra money for the P45. I do like the slide better on the P45, although I am also considering the TP45 with the 4" barrel.