Dillon powder knobs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon powder knobs

BK63
01-15-2010, 11:40
Anybody have a source for those press on knobs that go over the powder measure bolt? I looked high and low in Home Depot but can't find them. Can't justify paying 5 bucks each plus shipping from ebay. I don't need them that bad, just a nice thing to have :supergrin:

Home Depot Model # 83918
Store SKU # 581113
Crown Bolt 5/16 In. Plastic Shaft Knob White Flowerette
$1.50/EA-Each

IndyGunFreak
01-15-2010, 13:26
Ebay... There's a seller who sells them there, I think 2 for $8 or something like that.... I've only saw them at Home Depot. Your HD should have them, have you(i know, it hurts) asked an employee for help?

Edit: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=dillon+powder+measure+knob&_sacat=See-All-Categories

IGF

BK63
01-15-2010, 14:02
I did ask for help and the employee went through all the bins like I did. I even found guys on other gun sites telling me exactly where they are at Home Depot. Not in the knob isle but in the isle with the stainless bolts and stuff in the bins.

shotgunred
01-15-2010, 14:03
try a real hardware store like ace.

IndyGunFreak
01-15-2010, 14:37
I did ask for help and the employee went through all the bins like I did. I even found guys on other gun sites telling me exactly where they are at Home Depot. Not in the knob isle but in the isle with the stainless bolts and stuff in the bins.

Well yeah, they're always in the hardware aisle, not the knob aisle. You may just be unlucky and your home depot doesn't carry them.

IGF

MakeMineA10mm
01-15-2010, 15:13
I tried Lowe's, Menards, and Home Depot, and HD is the only place that had them. Local, smaller hardware stores didn't have them either.

Colorado4Wheel
01-15-2010, 16:04
I have a bunch of them. Send me the return envelope with some cash for the thing and you can have some. How many do you need?

GioaJack
01-15-2010, 16:24
I have a bunch of them. Send me the return envelope with some cash for the thing and you can have some. How many do you need?

Send lots of cash... C4W really, really wants a 1050. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-15-2010, 16:31
LOL.

Just enough to cover the cost of the things.

I made this offer a while back and got really really busy at work. NOW, things are too slow, so I have time to stalk Gio on the net and even run to the mailbox to send out a Knob and hope there is a Blue Press inside.

unclebob
01-15-2010, 16:34

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
They are or should be in the small plastic bins above where they have the stainless bolts and nuts. Etc. Home Depot carries them Lowe’s does not.

njl
01-16-2010, 09:08
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
They are or should be in the small plastic bins above where they have the stainless bolts and nuts. Etc. Home Depot carries them Lowe’s does not.

Only some Home Depot's carry them. I think I checked 3 of them locally before finding them.

unclebob
01-16-2010, 09:43
I was going to say that but I hit the submit key too fast. But the biggest point that I was trying too make was that Home Depot is the only one's that carry them that I know of. Have not looked for them in ACE.

BK63
01-16-2010, 13:46
I had to go some place this morning and noticed another Home Depot, not the one I normally go to so I stopped in and they had a bunch of them. They were easy to find in this store. Funny how some stores are setup differently.

njl
01-16-2010, 16:10
I had to go some place this morning and noticed another Home Depot, not the one I normally go to so I stopped in and they had a bunch of them. They were easy to find in this store. Funny how some stores are setup differently.

I'm convinced that some of them simply don't stock the things.

shotgunred
01-16-2010, 17:28
Checked my local store. your numbers worked in their computer. they don't have any and wont even order some on request.
that's customer service for you.

D. Manley
01-16-2010, 19:01
I'm convinced that some of them simply don't stock the things.

Checked my local store. your numbers worked in their computer. they don't have any and wont even order some on request.
that's customer service for you.

Yep...that's the norm for Home Depot. I once checked for them here and the drawer locations are present with some of the other items but not those. One clerk checked the numbers I had and could find no record and a different time, another said they showed up but they didn't stock them. I went with a couple of the, "Mr. Dials" and later, to the Uniquetek Micrometer powder bar...best money I've put into a Dillon machine.

shotgunred
01-16-2010, 19:58
I followed my own advice and went into two different Ace stores today. Only one salesman even had a clue what I was talking about. But both stores had them. The bin they are in is labeled Flowerette. Just have someone show you ware the knobs are and they will be in that general area. Its above the bolts at ace. $1.50 each. You choice of red, blue, green and black.

I just brought one of by powder measures with me and sized them right in the store.

PoiDog
01-17-2010, 17:03
If the knob thing doesn't work out, try one of these:

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

I have no relationship with them, but I want to buy one of these. They look great.

Brass Nazi
01-17-2010, 17:06
If the know thing doesn't work out, try one of these:

I have no relationship with them, but I want to buy one of these. They look great.

Those work as advertised. A must have IMO.

PoiDog
01-17-2010, 17:11
Those work as advertised. A must have IMO.

I'm going to buy one here pretty quick. I'm getting back into loading after a work induced hiatus.

ChaneyD
01-20-2010, 07:55
If the knob thing doesn't work out, try one of these:

I see them all the time on Ebay for $20.

PoiDog
01-20-2010, 18:57

I'll have to check that out, thanks.

Although, knowing Ebay, the shipping will probably be $29.95. LOL

unclebob
01-20-2010, 20:18

Those are not the same knobs as the Uniquetek.

D. Manley
01-20-2010, 21:14

No they're not, and the Uniquetek is a hell of a lot more than just a "powder knob". If you actually USE the accompanying spreadsheet template & instructions, you can literally dial in most any desired charge of any powder with amazing reliability and precision. My only regret is that I left one laying in a drawer unused for over a year before installing it.

ChaneyD
01-21-2010, 06:33

Well, never said they were the same. They do, however, DO the same thing. For $50 you get the knob AND a new powder bar which you don't need. With the one on Ebay you get just the micro knob which is all you need. Mine works great and the knob stays right where you dial it.

unclebob
01-21-2010, 07:30

Well you quoted this web site as being the same as being on Ebay.
At least that is what I interpreted in what you were trying to saying. All I was trying too do was sit the record straight in case someone else thought the same way
Personally I buy powder bars and set them up for what powder and charge that I use all the time. So when I want too load for that load I just change out the bars. I have one bar that I have the knob that I bought a Home Depot for if I want too play around with different charges. But then most of the time I just break out the RCBS Powdermaster. If I’m only doing a 10 or 20 rds then changing the charge.

ChaneyD
01-21-2010, 07:35
To clarify I didn't mean to infer that Ebay's were the same, just the same type, doing the same thing at a cheaper price. I use them because with my 550 the powder bar would change up or down from time to time and these knobs lock in place with a positive click.

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 07:58
To clarify I didn't mean to infer that Ebay's were the same, just the same type, doing the same thing at a cheaper price. I use them because with my 550 the powder bar would change up or down from time to time and these knobs lock in place with a positive click.

What does your knob look like? Is it the same as a $1.75 snap on knob like what Home Depot sells. Sure surely is not the same as the Uniquetek that has a very fine threaded screw and calibrated scale.

ChaneyD
01-21-2010, 08:07
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dillon-Powder-Measure-Adjusting-Bolt_W0QQitemZ140376235423QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20af135d9f

It is a micrometer type dial.

unclebob
01-21-2010, 08:08
What does your knob look like? Is it the same as a $1.75 snap on knob like what Home Depot sells. Sure surely is not the same as the Uniquetek that has a very fine threaded screw and calibrated scale.

I beleive these are the knobs he is talking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MRDial-ADJUSTMENT-DIAL-KNOB-DILLON-POWDER-MEASURE_W0QQitemZ330319867567QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce8992eaf

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 08:16
OK. Well, it's a step up from the $1.75 Home Depot Knob. It's got a scale on it as well. I mark my Home Depot knobs and use a "Its at 12:15" as a reference. Much nicer looking then cheap plastic.

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 08:18
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dillon-Powder-Measure-Adjusting-Bolt_W0QQitemZ140376235423QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20af135d9f

It is a micrometer type dial.

If you spin on complete turn does it show a new number? It looks like it just has a scale built into the knob. To be a micrometer it would need to show a different setting for every 360degree rotation. It's kinda hard to tell from the picture or description.

Edit: Mr Dial is cheaper and better then the one he posted a link to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dillon-Powder-Me...item20af135d9f

ChaneyD
01-21-2010, 08:19
A step up? There's no comparision to a plastic push on knob vs a micrometer.

:rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 08:26
Is it a micrometer? I don't think it is. I said it's a step up. That means BETTER. It's still just a dial. It's also $20-$22 bucks, which is about half the price of the Uniquetek. It does not come with the excell spreadsheet. I am pretty sure it's NOT a micrometer. The Stainless one you posted a link to is not able to be calibrated. Look at the description for the Uniquetek. If i am going to spend $25 I think I would just double it to get something that is a real micrometer with finer adjustments and a spreadsheet to help you set the measure to the exact amount of powder you want the first time.

unclebob
01-21-2010, 08:37
Is it a micrometer? I don't think it is. I said it's a step up. That means BETTER. It's still just a dial. It's also $20-$22 bucks, which is about half the price of the Uniquetek. It does not come with the excell spreadsheet. I am pretty sure it's NOT a micrometer. The Stainless one you posted a link to is not able to be calibrated. Look at the description for the Uniquetek. If i am going to spend $25 I think I would just double it to get something that is a real micrometer with finer adjustments and a spreadsheet to help you set the measure to the exact amount of powder you want the first time.

I thought that was the one he was talking about.
I have no use for any of them in the way I load. I don’t change the bar enough that I would need a knob. When I do change I just use a nut driver.

BK63
01-21-2010, 11:31
A step up? There's no comparision to a plastic push on knob vs a micrometer. :rofl:

I would not trust my loads to markings on a dial. I check my charges with both the regular powder scale and a digital scale before I start loading anything. The knob was intended to make small adjustments quicker, and it in fact does that. I just would not trust setting powder by lines on a dial.

ChaneyD
01-21-2010, 12:28
I agree. Even with the micrometer I check every 50rnds or so. So far my Dillon is right on.

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 13:05
So, you never answered. Is it a actual micrometer or just a dial with some markings on it? Can you spin it three times and actually tell you spun it three times?

unclebob
01-21-2010, 13:10
By just looking at the pictures and the price. Other than the Uniquetek, I would say they are just knobs.

ChaneyD
01-21-2010, 15:51
So, you never answered. Is it a actual micrometer or just a dial with some markings on it? Can you spin it three times and actually tell you spun it three times?

The Mr Dial is what I have. This is their ad. I think it's a great item.

No Tools (Wrench) needed to adjust.
Numbered graduations to give you reference and let you know which way to turn to add more powder. The larger the number the larger the charge. Very important for making new loads or keeping track of current load.
Fine Adjustment: Every graduation will move the insert 1/1000 of an inch. This actually tells you how fine of an adjustment you have. (Average of 3 to 4 graduations per 1/10 of a grain adjustment).
New and Improved custom bolt
Life time Warranty
30 Day Satisfaction 100% Money back Guarantee
Made in the USA

dudel
01-21-2010, 17:05
I beleive these are the knobs he is talking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MRDial-ADJUSTMENT-DIAL-KNOB-DILLON-POWDER-MEASURE_W0QQitemZ330319867567QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce8992eaf

Don't see how that can be the same or even similar to the Uni* version. IIRC, the Uni* version has a fine thread along with the part that moves in the powder cavity (it would have to as the threads would be different).

The one you linked to "appears" to have a fine thread; but I didn't see a corresponding slide. The advantage to a fine thread is that you get 1) better granularity and 2) less lash/play in the mesh.

Unless there's a corresponding fine threaded slider; I don't see how it can dial in as accurately as the Uni* version.

Looks like a $19 version of C4W's $2 unit with more meaningless calibration marks.

dudel
01-21-2010, 17:07

Only if you count. Walk away and come back in a week, and you wouldn't know. Looks like a dial with markings. That's got some advantages over the Dillon bolt; but $20? Don't know, maybe.

dudel
01-21-2010, 17:13

it's a dial.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=KcwSAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

D. Manley
01-21-2010, 17:15
By just looking at the pictures and the price. Other than the Uniquetek, I would say they are just knobs.

They are just knobs and very similar to the Mr. Dials. C4W is right, they are nice and IMHO, an improvement over the OEM Dillon adjustment nut. I used a couple of Mr. Dials and was perfectly happy with them for a good while. That said, the Uniquetek powder bar stands alone and bears little resemblance. First of all, it's a true micrometer. Secondly, it has 40-TPI threads opposed to 12-TPI. Third, it comes with an Excel spreadsheet template for inputting powder specific data that once done, can predict the Mic setting with repeatable accuracy.

I think most people not familiar with the Uniquetek don't really understand what is is and is capable of. Even a lot of purchasers/users just use the micrometer feature to record a given powder setting and go with that. If however, you take the time on the front end to use the supplied spreadsheet template for all the powders you use then, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Say you want to try a new, never-before tried load of Power Pistol (or any other of your powders). Simply fill the hopper, input the new charge in your spreadsheet (or, follow the manual formula) and shazaam!, there's the Mic setting for your new load. I've found that if the original input data is good then the accuracy and consistency is amazing. Takes some time on the front end to set up the spreadsheets accurately but it's a one-time deal...from then on, you can dial in your measure for any load, using any powder in your stash, almost instantly.

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 17:29
I want one of those, a 1050, a 20#couple furnaces, and a bunch of other stuff. Thats sounds great to me.