Greetings from a GlockTalk newb! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a GlockTalk newb!

pmj
01-15-2010, 13:16
Greetings to all!

I'm a new member to the forum and making my first post. Wanted to thank each of you for the info and input on the .45 GAP pistol and caliber. I was able to shoot a .45 GAP several years ago and really liked it but decided to "wait and see." After reading the posts on the forum and a bit of study on its' ballistics I decided to jump in.

Over the years I've had numerous Glock pistols in everything except 10mm, 45 Gap and of course the 380. I'm getting back into shooting pistols again since retirement 3.5 years ago (retired LEO and firearms instructor and former jarhead too - Semper Fi) and working for a firearms manufacturer the last 3 years until the shop closed.

If it burns gunpowder I'm interested - long range precision rifle and defensive pistol are my preferred interests. I currently have a G36, just picked up a G31 and will get a G38 when my local dealer returns from the SHOT show. My trusty Les Baer 1911 TRS needs some friends and Glock fits the bill perfectly. Besides, firearms are like tools - gotta pick the right one for the job at hand! Can't have too many tools -

Anyway - my regards to all here at GlockTalk and best wishes for the new year!

Phil

DannyR
01-15-2010, 14:14
Phil,

I'm glad you found this forum. It's the friendly place to speak GAP.:cool:

pmj
01-17-2010, 10:28
Danny,

Thanks much for your advice and info during our off-line chats. I truly appreciate it. Now I have to get moving in double-time to get a G37 and a G38. OK - a G39 as well!

I'll work on getting up your way soon for some range time. For grins and giggles we can do some ballistic gel testing on GAP ammo if you're interested. If so, let me know and I'll start putting that together.

Best regards,
Phil

"Hits count - noise don't. Ya can't hurt 'em if ya don't hit 'em"

miatank
01-17-2010, 15:54
Phil -
After you get one GAP, any model, you will want all three!

dave - 38 & 39 - 37 is next

pmj
01-17-2010, 16:31
Dave,

You are correct Sir! I'm looking forward to it, especially after seeing some at the gunshow yesterday here in Raleigh.

I've always considered my guns as tools - and that I need lots of tools to do whatever job comes up!

See from your sig line that you're in Arizona. Man I love it out there. The wife and I will probably make the move that way as soon as she retires.

JTG30
01-17-2010, 16:33
I was able to shoot a .45 GAP several years ago and really liked it but decided to "wait and see." Phil

I'm glad you didn't "wait and see" too long. Didn't ya' hear from all the "experts" that the GAP is going by the wayside? Fear not, the GAP is hear to stay and your choice is a good one.

By the way, welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. :patriot:

DannyR
01-17-2010, 16:36
We spend a week in Sedona, AZ this past September. My, what a beautiful place. That Ballastic Gel sounds like a good idea. Phil, pictured below is my G38 in a Nano--on the left--and my G19 in a traditional Blade-Tech.

pmj
01-17-2010, 22:39
Shooting Alpha's:

Thank you for the welcome and your kind words ref my service. Glad to be able to be a part of this forum and that I didn't "wait too long" on the GAP. I'm anxious to get one and have 2 spotted. One of them should be in my possession by tomorrow afternoon!

Yes - the GAP is here to stay! Hopefully the ammo companies will step up to the plate and increase production. All of us, current and soon to be GAP owners, should start contacting them.

Danny:

I think you'll enjoy doing gel tests. They aren't the "end all to tell all" but they are very informative and can debunk some common myths about bullet performance and behavior. I'll start working on the logistics to get the materials this week as well.

Best to you both!

Thx-1138
01-18-2010, 10:09
The Raleigh Gun Show, eh?

If you're in the area, and want to get a pre-purchase test run on a G39, send me a PM. I'd be happy to meet you at PDHSC to give you a chance to try it out.

pmj
01-18-2010, 13:27
Thx-1138 - we'll certainly do that! Just sent a PM with contact info. Picked up a G37 and a few boxes of Gold Dot 185 grainers right before lunch. The 185's will do until I can get some 200's. Got some house chores to do to keep the boss lady happy.

If all works out maybe we can get some range time in tomorrow or early next week. Gotta work my part-time job Wed-Fri evening to support my gun habit!

We'll chat more over the next day or so.

Regards,
Phil

Scamp
01-19-2010, 18:01
Welcome to the Dawg House!
I love the GAP round, I have a 37 and a 39, and I just bought my wife a 19, and after shooting that mid sized 19 I am really wanting a G38 now!

pmj
01-19-2010, 22:08
Scamp:

Great minds think alike - my wife told me today that she wants a G17 or 19 so I'm gonna make sure her wish comes true! After shooting the G37 I guess I'm going to have to "force" myself to get the 38 and 39.

Life is tough sometimes but I think I was warned earlier that wanting all three GAP models would probably happen. Gentlemen - you were correct!

Regards,
Phil

rns-glock37
01-20-2010, 05:21
pmj welcome to the forum and glad to hear you've made the leap into the gap world. reading your post has made me take a long look at myself and wonder what's been taking me so long to get my next gap. i thought peer pressure was a thing of the past when i graduated high school 20 plus years ago. i guess i better start sweet talking the boss again. another family member named g38 is movin in.

Thx-1138
01-20-2010, 08:38
Scamp:

Great minds think alike - my wife told me today that she wants a G17 or 19 so I'm gonna make sure her wish comes true!

That's funny. My wife has forbidden me from selling my 1st-Gen G17, because she wants to use it for GSSF matches. It's grip it just a tad big for her, but she can shoot it better than my G39 or the G19 she tried out a while back.

I still want to sell it, but I'll have to replace it with a G17 Gen4. It'll be "her" gun from the start, and the smaller grip should make all the difference in the world for her.

pmj
01-20-2010, 11:21
rns-glock37:

I heard a saying several years ago - "once a man - twice a child." Now that I'm going through my second childhood at age 55, I realize that I wasted a lot of time and fun growing up! All the "toys for big boys" I didn't get either. Maybe there really IS a Santa Claus?

Hey - don't they always need a new pair of shoes, or belt, or some other accoutrement when they get a new addition to the wardrobe? AND - our "toys" don't go out of style so they're investments.

Bro - we didn't succumb to peer pressure - now we just have the wisdom of age to convince us to stop fighting the urges as much and keep a broader perspective. Well, it sounded good anyway.

Yup, I gotta get a 38 next, then a 39. But, probably should get the wifey her own Glock first. I might be dumb but I ain't plumb dumb!

Summerville - my wife has family in Aiken.

Thx-1138:

You Sir have a lady of good taste! It's great when they are involved and like to shoot. When mine wants a gun I do not hesitate to get her to the "toy" store. Range time sure beats the movies too.

The residence supervisor (wife) is a HR manager for a pharmaceutical company which can be a bit - well - touch-feely? She told me I should have seen the looks she got when she announced that she has her own Harley and CCW permit. Neither of us are "politically correct."

I'm anxious to see the Gen 4's myself and one of the reasons I wish I could have made it out to the SHOT show. I couldn't care less about Vegas. I just wanted to see old friends in the industry and the new stuff. I do intend to go to the NRA show this year since it's in Charlotte.

Gents - I just use the tool analogy, if I even tell her, when I want a new gun:

"Honey. Remember - there is no such thing as a universal screwdriver and no, one size does not fit all."

I have about a 50% success rate so far -

Regards,
Phil