Tumbling Rounds... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling Rounds...

Scott in Houston
01-15-2010, 13:47
I went to the range and opened a new box of Remington (UMC) .40S&W to be fired from my G27.

I started with Federal .40, but only had 20 rounds of it. It went off great.
Then I shot this UMC stuff... the paper didn't have a nice little hole. It 'ripped' the paper and made like a 1/2" to 1" ripped hole.

The ammo was tumbling. I've never experienced this, but had heard about it.
The guy next to me was shooting a G23, and he shot a few of these rounds with the same result.

I paid $80 for this box!! I'm pissed.

Think it's worth calling Remington? Anyone else ever get this?
I shot about 30 rounds of it and have 220 left. Now I feel this ammo is virtually worthless. :crying:

Strangely though, the holes were 'accurate'. It flies straight for the 7 yards I was shooting, but i'm sure the accuracy decreases as distance gets greater with a tumbling bullet.

Thoughts?

MSgt Dotson
01-15-2010, 14:51
Depending on the profile of the bullet (gentle sloping FMJ flatpoint vs. sharp shouldered SWC or JHP), sometimes the paper is simply torn vice cleanly punched thru...

Apply some cardboard backing, and retest...

Scott in Houston
01-15-2010, 15:08
Good idea. I'll try that next time at the range.
I'll take a pic of the bullets. They're FMJ with nipples. lol

HAMMERHEAD
01-15-2010, 17:20
With a short, wide bullet like they use in .40s&w, tumbling is pretty unlikely.
The only factory round I've seen tumble was some Federal .38 spl 148 grain hollow base wadcutter fired in a slow twist barrel. At 25 yards they were perfectly straight, but at 50 yards all of them turned about 45 degrees, all of them in the same direction. Still quite accurate though.