which Ruger MKIII should I buy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : which Ruger MKIII should I buy?

nighthawk23
01-15-2010, 16:11
Howdy,
I am looking at buying a Ruger MKIII to plink around with and am not really sure which model to buy. I think I like the MkIII better than the 22/45, but have never even owned a .22 pistol. Price is not an option for this discussion...I am just looking for a gun that shoots cheap, is fun, will last, and is very accurate...Which one would ya'll recommend?

Thanks for the help!!!

deadite
01-15-2010, 16:24
If I was you, I'd shop around for a used Ruger Mark II. A steel one. Not a polymer framed 22/45. I like the target models with the adjustable sights.

Thank me later. :)

deadite

CnRnut
01-15-2010, 17:40
YUP, find a MK II. You can still find new ones if you look hard enough.

nighthawk23
01-15-2010, 18:35
Thanks, why the MKII and how would I find a new one?
Please keep the info rolling!!!!

wrenrj1
01-15-2010, 18:37
Have you looked at a Browing Buckmark?

spartan985
01-15-2010, 19:40
Well I have a mkIII 22/45 and it has been 100% reliable.

It's a 5.5" bull barrel with adjustable rear sights. And it's a tack driver.

deadite
01-15-2010, 20:12
Thanks, why the MKII and how would I find a new one?
Please keep the info rolling!!!!

There are a bunch of reports of Mark III's having troubles because of the safety additions like the loaded chamber indicator, the internal lock, the magazine safety that makes the gun inoperable when the mag is removed, etc. The Mark II is just as good as the Mark III, but it doesn't have all the extras that reportedly cause the problems.

As a matter of fact, if you go to the rimfire forums on the net, you'll quickly find that the majority of Mark III owners are modding their guns to be more like the Mark II. That's why I suggest you look for a Mark II.

If you're looking for a Mark II you can start here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=Ruger+Mark+II

Don't get me wrong. Personally, I've not had the problems reported with my Mark III, but I will say this. The disassembly is a heck of a lot harder than my Mark II because of the extra parts and overly tight tolerences.

Also, there is nothing technically wrong with the polymer frame of the 22/45. It's a preference thing and I'm the first to admit that I like wood and steel over plastic. There are tons of guys with the 22/45s and I'm sure that they are very reliable guns.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I dig rimfires. :)

deadite

nighthawk23
01-15-2010, 20:29
Deadite,
Thanks for the info! I am getting into casual shooting more and I am looking for a good plinking pistol that can build my confidence. I have generally been a rifle man, only really owning a couple of Glocks and other pistols for concealed carry. I have done research on other sites and I am hearing a lot of what you have said about the MKIII....and I am now just about sold on the MKII...but want to hear/find out a little more before I commit and try to get my hands on one!
Thanks again! This is such a great site with awesome members!

deadite
01-16-2010, 09:34
The Mark II or III are great plinkers. Especially, when you put a red-dot on them. It really improves your shooting skills. A real must is to at least have adjustable sights. I'd avoid fixed sights if you want to be really accurate.

Here's my current Mark II before I tricked it out with Volquartsen target trigger, sear and red-dot:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/deadite_photos/P8310014.jpg

Here's my old Mark III:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/deadite_photos/P7140006.jpg

They make for very accurate shooters:
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/deadite_photos/P7130023.jpg

deadite

deadite
01-16-2010, 09:38
Btw, there are plenty of great shooters. I also have a Browning Challenger:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/deadite_photos/P8120010.jpg

and a Smith and Wesson Model 41:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/deadite_photos/41.jpg

All are laserbeam accurate. :)

deadite

deadite
01-16-2010, 09:41
Btw, make sure to use quality ammo, like CCI Mini-Mags. The bulk stuff is fun to blast, but is lacking in accuracy.

deadite

nighthawk23
01-16-2010, 10:40
Thanks!! I will look into those other pistols as well. It is hard not to just walk into my gun shop and pick up a MKIII today since it seems that a MKII is harder to get a hold of...I have the gun bug... I am guessing a 5.5in bull barrel ( i am not real fond of the taper barrel) would be best..? and what do you think about the competition slab side and fluted hunter models? Thanks! I am getting very excited and this is great info!!

nighthawk23
01-16-2010, 10:46
Also: Have you heard anything about the Browning Buckmark URX?

deadite
01-16-2010, 10:55
Thanks!! I will look into those other pistols as well. It is hard not to just walk into my gun shop and pick up a MKIII today since it seems that a MKII is harder to get a hold of...I have the gun bug... I am guessing a 5.5in bull barrel ( i am not real fond of the taper barrel) would be best..? and what do you think about the competition slab side and fluted hunter models? Thanks! I am getting very excited and this is great info!!

I think it's a preference thing. All of those barrel variations are seemingly just as accurate as the next. I like all of them, but for some reason, I don't really like the looks of the slabsided competition model.

The Hunter model with the flutes are really cool looking, but I don't really like the fiber optic front sights and the "V" notch rear sights.

If you don't mind the useless additions, the Mark III is a good gun, too. Even the 22/45. They're pretty cheap and have potential to be very accurate guns with some upgrades.

Like I said, it's a preference thing. :)

deadite

deadite
01-16-2010, 10:56
How much cash are you looking to spend, total?

deadite

nighthawk23
01-16-2010, 11:52
If I could get this project done under $600 that would be good and under $500 would be fantastic! I am going to look for a MKII today while attempting to avoid my local shop and the purchase of a MKIII!

HAMMERHEAD
01-16-2010, 11:58
I like the tapered barrels myself, better looking and much better balance. One I didn't like was the Mk III Hunter with the 6-7/8" barrel. Way out of balance and heavier than it needed to be, even with the fluting.
Check out the Mark III forum at Rimfire Central. (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210)

mitchshrader
01-16-2010, 12:04
Get a stainless Mk III hunter, 7.5 inch fluted barrel(or is it 6 7/8? mmm) , with the stock adjustable fiber optic sights, buy half a dozen spare mags and several bricks of CCI mini mag solids, and tell all the luddites tyvm, go away. 'n I happen to think it's balanced Fine, cause it shoots fine..and fast..

Shoots like a laser beam, ain't jammed yet, makes me look like a natural shootist and I ain't.

Priceless. At 55 anything makes me look good is on a short list.. ;)

and I went and measured it, and you're right it's not seven and a half, it's 6 7/8.

I never could tell them two numbers apart.. ;)

deadite
01-16-2010, 12:39
If I could get this project done under $600 that would be good and under $500 would be fantastic! I am going to look for a MKII today while attempting to avoid my local shop and the purchase of a MKIII!

Used Mark II $300.00
Volquartsen trigger and sear(all you need) $80.00
drill and tap for rail + rail $80.00
2 extra mags (4 total) $40.00
cheap red-dot (Bushnell, etc.) $60.00
-------------------------------------
Minus ammo, you're out $560.00 total!

:)

deadite

1time
01-16-2010, 15:01
I like the MarkIII having the mag release where it should be. I bought it with all intentions of missing it with markII parts but after use it I don't even notice the difference. Between the standard mark and the 22/45 that depends on your preference. The standard is closer to the flock grip angle. The 22/45 is closer to the 1911 grip angle.

If I decide to upgrade the trigger I will probably go with the mark II parts but for now I don't see the need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nighthawk23
01-16-2010, 17:27
Ok, new queation...why should I not buy a MKIII? (what are the disadvantages of the new model?)...from people who own/have shot the MKIII
Thanks!!

deadite
01-16-2010, 18:18
Ok, new queation...why should I not buy a MKIII? (what are the disadvantages of the new model?)...from people who own/have shot the MKIII
Thanks!!

Harder to disassemble and reassemble.
Mags don't always drop free because of the mag safety.
Loaded chamber indicator causes some feeding/ extraction problems.
Personally, don't like integral locks on guns.
I don't like the new mag medallions. (petty, but true.):whistling:
The blued finish on my Mark III wasn't as good as my Mark II.
I don't like the magazine safety because I like to shoot sometimes without the mag.
They have different mags than the Mark II.

The only things I like better over the Mark II is the mag release placement and the top is already drilled and tapped and includes a rail.

Otherwise, it's the same gun. :)

deadite

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-16-2010, 23:01
My personal preference, having owned and shot quite a variety of combinations: Tapered barrel and fixed sights. Go figure.

deadite
01-17-2010, 11:47
My personal preference, having owned and shot quite a variety of combinations: Tapered barrel and fixed sights. Go figure.

I wouldn't mind having a Mark II Standard with the short, tapered barrel, and fixed sights if it was a dedicated red-dot gun. Like this one:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Gixerman1000/Handguns/RugerMkII.jpg

https://www.volquartsen.com/pictures/630x275/41-ultra-dot.jpg

Could be a very handy woods gun if it had one of the smaller 1" tubed Ultra-dots installed. :)

deadite

nighthawk23
01-18-2010, 18:21
Well...I have decided on the MKII!!!...Now I just have to find the right one!
Thanks for the help!
Nighthawk

Four Knives
01-19-2010, 01:57
Harder to disassemble and reassemble.
Mags don't always drop free because of the mag safety.
Loaded chamber indicator causes some feeding/ extraction problems.
Personally, don't like integral locks on guns.
I don't like the new mag medallions. (petty, but true.):whistling:
The blued finish on my Mark III wasn't as good as my Mark II.
I don't like the magazine safety because I like to shoot sometimes without the mag.
They have different mags than the Mark II.

Friendly Counterpoint:

Own both MK II Bull Barrel Target and MK III Hunter Stainless Fluted

- Disassembly/Reassembly is a btch regardless of what model - I find no difference in difficulty with MK III vs. MK II - MK III just needs the mag inserted for the trigger pull to line up the hammer strut.

- With a MK II how do you drop the mags free when you have that heel mag release? My mags drop free in the III, but I don't let them fall because they aren't cheapo Glock mags that can take a beating, they're metal framed mags that don't like to be dirty and definitely don't like their thin feedlips bent. :)

- Loaded chamber indicator (although I agree is stupid) is very easily modified by removing the tab. I personally have not had any eject/extraction problems with my MK III.

- I never shoot w/o my mag. It's a .22 plinker to me, and in no way will it ever be used to defend myself, although I'd prefer it not to be there, the mag safety is inconsequential on this firearm to me.

- As time moves on, damaged or worn out MK II mags will be rarer and hence more difficult and more expensive to replace.

- MK III is pre drilled/tapped and comes with an optics rail in the box...no trip to the gunsmith, no extra cost.

To me the HUGE benefits of a properly placed mag release and the pre-drilled/tapped receiver on the Target/Hunter models greatly outweigh the slight discomfort of a couple of extra needless safety features.

mb1129
01-19-2010, 07:31
Howdy,
I am looking at buying a Ruger MKIII to plink around with and am not really sure which model to buy. I think I like the MkIII better than the 22/45, but have never even owned a .22 pistol. Price is not an option for this discussion...I am just looking for a gun that shoots cheap, is fun, will last, and is very accurate...Which one would ya'll recommend?

Thanks for the help!!!

I have the MKIII Target. It is blued with a 5.5" bull barrel. I replaced the factory front sight with a Hi-Viz fiber optic and really like it. The gun is insanely accurate, and has functioned great with everything I have put through. Even runs the Walmart bulk-packs just fine. I have no complaints with the MKIII and would definitely recommend it. Hope this helps.

deadite
01-19-2010, 08:52
Friendly Counterpoint:

Own both MK II Bull Barrel Target and MK III Hunter Stainless Fluted

- Disassembly/Reassembly is a btch regardless of what model - I find no difference in difficulty with MK III vs. MK II - MK III just needs the mag inserted for the trigger pull to line up the hammer strut.

- With a MK II how do you drop the mags free when you have that heel mag release? My mags drop free in the III, but I don't let them fall because they aren't cheapo Glock mags that can take a beating, they're metal framed mags that don't like to be dirty and definitely don't like their thin feedlips bent. :)

- Loaded chamber indicator (although I agree is stupid) is very easily modified by removing the tab. I personally have not had any eject/extraction problems with my MK III.

- I never shoot w/o my mag. It's a .22 plinker to me, and in no way will it ever be used to defend myself, although I'd prefer it not to be there, the mag safety is inconsequential on this firearm to me.

- As time moves on, damaged or worn out MK II mags will be rarer and hence more difficult and more expensive to replace.

- MK III is pre drilled/tapped and comes with an optics rail in the box...no trip to the gunsmith, no extra cost.

To me the HUGE benefits of a properly placed mag release and the pre-drilled/tapped receiver on the Target/Hunter models greatly outweigh the slight discomfort of a couple of extra needless safety features.

Mega-friendly counter to your counterpoint. :)

I agree that the assemble is a Bi-otch on both, but I've noticed on the 4 or 5 that I've tried to disassemble that the Mark IIIs tolerences are tighter adn the holes don't line up well making the latch pin difficult to align.

Re: drop free mags. Mark II mags aren't supposed to drop free, hence the european style heel release. My point was that, if you're going to have a Browning style mag release, the mag should drop free and not get hung up on the mag safety.

Re: LCI. You shoudn't have to modify your factory gun to make it reliable. Like you, I haven't had that problem, but I've read of it happening to a lot of guys over on the rimfire forum.

Re: Mag safety. I like the option of shooting without the mag inserted. Call me crazy, but I like it. It's more like my Browning Challenger that way. :)

I agree that the pre-drilled Mark III and the rail is definitely a plus. I wish I didn't need to get my Mark II drilled. :)

deadite

Davegrave
01-19-2010, 08:56

I have the exact same gun and threw a $30 Walmart red dot on it. Man do I love this gun.

deadite
01-19-2010, 10:01
I have the exact same gun and threw a $30 Walmart red dot on it. Man do I love this gun.

That's a good combo. I love it when you get your rimfire dialed in. :)

deadite

nighthawk23
01-22-2010, 12:32
It really sounds like I just need to get both the MKII and MKIII.
Thanks for the input guys, I really enjoy the input!