Stripping cheap ceramic coating [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stripping cheap ceramic coating

FSU Bulldog
01-15-2010, 17:20
I recently acquired a weapon that someone finished in cheap ceramic? paint or some such. Anyway, I was wondering if there is any sort of thinner or product I can use to strip this off so I can re-blue the weapon?

Any help is greatly appreciated! THANKS!

faawrenchbndr
01-15-2010, 17:48
What brand weapon is it?
Chances are it will need to be bead blasted for removal.

FSU Bulldog
01-15-2010, 18:08
It's a browning hi-power 9mm

Old Guard Dog
01-16-2010, 05:26
If it is DuraCoat or GunCoat, it will need to be bead blasted.

.45Super-Man
01-16-2010, 05:33
Acetone or Methyl ketone.

boyscoutG36
01-16-2010, 12:23
If it's cured Cerakote or a similar product, you would need to abrasive blast it. Then you would have to spend quite a while sanding and re-polishing to bring it to a point where you could blue it. If you have the time, it could be a fun project.

grendelbane
01-16-2010, 12:59
I have seen Jaxco paint & epoxy remover recommended for removing Duracoat. Some times preceded by lacquer thinner or MEK. Usually followed by aluminum oxide blasting.

It may not be Duracoat, however. It might be a baked finish. In that case, blasting is the way to go.

You could blast the surface rough, and paint over it. That would be the easiest solution. Sounds like you don't like the idea of a painted finish, however. If that is the case, you have some work ahead of you. Good luck.

FSU Bulldog
01-17-2010, 10:25
I have seen Jaxco paint & epoxy remover recommended for removing Duracoat. Some times preceded by lacquer thinner or MEK. Usually followed by aluminum oxide blasting.

It may not be Duracoat, however. It might be a baked finish. In that case, blasting is the way to go.

You could blast the surface rough, and paint over it. That would be the easiest solution. Sounds like you don't like the idea of a painted finish, however. If that is the case, you have some work ahead of you. Good luck.

That did the trick! Thanks grendelbane! Finish is a bit rough underneath, but I'll fix that.

AWESOME! Thanks everyone!