Remington Rand with Springfield emblem on the frame [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington Rand with Springfield emblem on the frame

Annoyedgrunt
01-15-2010, 19:40
I was at one of the gunshops in town, and asked to see a Remington Rand 1911A1 that looked to be in pretty decent shape. It had some holster wear, and it was a former MP sidearm, as it had a number kind of spray paint-stenciled on the right grip panel; like you see with MP weapons. Anywho, on the right side of the frame, just underneath and to the rear of the cocking serration, there was a distinct stamp that looked like the Springfield Armory logo- you know, the crossed cannons with a grenade in the middle. I asked the guy "Is this a Springfield frame?" He said no, that it was indeed a full Remington, and that the stamp was an armorer's stamp, and that Springfield actually stole this logo later on.

Is he pulling my leg, or is there some truth to this? The gun was $1200, if that helps.

Jim S.
01-15-2010, 19:59
Armorer's stamps are usually fairly small, where as the manufacturing stamps are fairly large. I haven't seen many manufacturer stamps on frames, usually on the slides.

Annoyedgrunt
01-15-2010, 20:12
Yeah, it was pretty small, maybe about a quarter of an inch.

faawrenchbndr
01-15-2010, 20:27
Sounds like a US Ordnance Inspector's stamp.
Is it about the diameter of a wooden pencil's eraser?

bac1023
01-15-2010, 21:12
Inspection stamp

Annoyedgrunt
01-15-2010, 21:53
Is it about the diameter of a wooden pencil's eraser?

Yep, sure was.

It did seem like a nice specimen. The only things it had going against it was I don't think it was all matching serial numbers, and just some light scratches and holster wear. No rust, pitting, corrosion, barrel looked clean, VERY good lockup... seriously, if I had $1200 burning a hole in my pocket I would probably buy it.

paul45
01-16-2010, 10:41
Yep, sure was.

It did seem like a nice specimen. The only things it had going against it was I don't think it was all matching serial numbers,

Being that the serial number is only on the right side of the frame, how do you make that assumption?

Annoyedgrunt
01-16-2010, 12:32
Maybe I was mistaken- there was a number on the slide, and one on the frame, and I just noticed that they didn't match. I didn't really look at them that long.

Jason D
01-16-2010, 17:56
The US Government was very fond of stamping numbers on everything.
I have a .45 that has part numbers on the barrel, slide, and barrel bushing.