7.62x54R Milsurp brass question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54R Milsurp brass question.

Eagl1
01-15-2010, 18:45
I have a few hundred of these all from the same box. I'm not even sure if they're reload-able. The primers seem to be crimped in. The box and the head stamp are dated 1971. I don't reload and have no use for them. Is there enough demand to make selling them worthwhile?

Hydraulicman
01-15-2010, 20:43
use a flashlight and look inside. If you see one hole it's reloadable. if you see two small holes it's berdain primed.

check out ammosmith.com

Eagl1
01-15-2010, 22:52
use a flashlight and look inside. If you see one hole it's reloadable. if you see two small holes it's berdain primed.

Thanks for the tip. They are Berdan primers, two holes inside. I guess that means they're going in the scrap bin.

dudel
01-16-2010, 03:17
Thanks for the tip. They are Berdan primers, two holes inside. I guess that means they're going in the scrap bin.

Berdan cases ARE reloadable. RCBS makes a Berdan decapper.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=245983

Main problem is that if you think Boxer primer are hard to find, Berdans are even harder. And no, you can't substitue SP with SPM in this case.

Unless it's a very scarce case, the trash bin is probably the best home for them. You might even close the case mouth with a visegrip to prevent someone from trying to bust a decapping rod. If your gun really, really needs those cases, then good luck finding Berdan primers.

cdemarse
01-16-2010, 15:56
For what I can buy the ammo for I personally dont bother with reloading it for my Mosins.