.40 S&W Resizing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .40 S&W Resizing

dmdegood
01-16-2010, 07:11
There were no replies to a thread under Accessories, so I'll try here.
Does anyone know if a lone Wolf barrel will eliminate the case bulge
which is common with the Glock 22 stock barrel? I presently run all
spent brass through a Redding full case sizing die, and would like to
eliminate this step if possible.

PCJim
01-16-2010, 07:58
I can't provide any helpful information on LW barrels in 40S&W. I would think that they would be fully supported but I'm sure others will chime in.

Are you referring to the G-RX die?

Boxerglocker
01-16-2010, 08:47
which is common with the Glock 22 stock barrel? I presently run all
spent brass through a Redding full case sizing die, and would like to
eliminate this step if possible.

How old is the BBL that you are using? Are you sure you even need it?
I asked because the later Glock barrels do not have that issue as prevalent as the earlier. Glock has improved the BBL design over the years and added more support. They actually have just as much as any other manufacturer these days.

I routinely reload once and mulitple fired .40 brass fom my G23 and other Glocks from once fired and abandoned from my local inddor range.
I have yet to have a problem resizing a case with the standard dies in my Dillon SDB. In fact, just last night, I case gauged and checked OAL on 600 finished rounds that I loaded earlier in the day. Each and everyone passed through my Dillon case gauge.

Colorado4Wheel
01-16-2010, 08:48
Have you tried just running it normally? I know lots of people who shoot .40 and never use any special dies. I run 10mm and don't need anything special. I have sized and loaded plenty of .40 and they all pass my case gauge easily. I use a standard Lee sizing die.

fredj338
01-16-2010, 10:01
Have you tried just running it normally? I know lots of people who shoot .40 and never use any special dies. I run 10mm and don't need anything special. I have sized and loaded plenty of .40 and they all pass my case gauge easily. I use a standard Lee sizing die.

I agree, back of the nuclear loads & you should have no problem. Dare I ask, are you using TG as your powder of choice? Try a med. burner for lower pressures w/ higher vel.

cray2751
01-16-2010, 11:03
I have a LWD barrel in 9mm but I have one on backorder for my 40 so I cant speak on that. However, I will say this, I bought 1k nickle 40 cases for a hell of a deal. Almost all were shot through police glocks and all of them are in spec. I know because I have a Lyman case guage. I had to run each case through my resizing die twice and it was gtg.

aerod1
01-16-2010, 11:11
I agree, back of the nuclear loads & you should have no problem. Dare I ask, are you using TG as your powder of choice? Try a med. burner for lower pressures w/ higher vel.

A medium burner such as what? What is a good powder to use when loading mild loads for Glocks?

WiskyT
01-16-2010, 11:16
I'm just glad I started reloading 40SW before I got the internet.

shotgunred
01-16-2010, 12:01
I shoot 40 almost exclusively. I just use my dillion dies. Just make sure that you turn down the resizing die until it makes light contact with the shell plate.
One of my g23 is a pre-order before they were even available. So its as old as G23 get. I don't have any problem with its brass.

In the 40 cal LW barrels are 3 thousands of an inch tighter than my glock barrels. So its even more important with them than glock barrels that your ammo is at factory specs.

As fred says just don't make barn burrners and you are fine. Try some win 231 or wsf or pistol power.

cray2751
01-16-2010, 12:17
A medium burner such as what? What is a good powder to use when loading mild loads for Glocks?

I use Unique, Bullseye, and WSF right now. I do have some TightGroup but I am going to use it in some 124 gr fmg I have coming. I usually stick around start load. I have no use for max loads except in defensive loads.

atxbandit
01-16-2010, 14:44
I have a LW barrel for my 40 that I use for practice. The chamber is definitely tighter than the stock barrel. A case that was shot from the stock barrel will not go into the LW chamber. I figure I can get longer life for cases if they aren't being stretched out and resized as much. I did get some ftf jams with the LW but that was only with a couple of mags.

wiskeyVI
01-16-2010, 17:14
I recently went round and round trying to get my reloads to fit the LW 40 bbl.
It is/was much tighter than .003 of an inch over the G23 bbl.
The reloads would drop right into the Glock bbl, but the same rounds in the LW bbl would serriously jam the weapon.

Everything is good till I crimp them (so very slightly) then it was a no go.
I'm currently using lead bullets, hence the LW bbl. With FMJ rounds in the Glock bbl, no prob at all. Even when I had the G22.

I have a 9mm conversion I plan on trying out tomorrow to see if I have the same issue.

Colorado4Wheel
01-16-2010, 18:43

No kidding.

Colorado4Wheel
01-16-2010, 18:46
I recently went round and round trying to get my reloads to fit the LW 40 bbl.
It is/was much tighter than .003 of an inch over the G23 bbl.
The reloads would drop right into the Glock bbl, but the same rounds in the LW bbl would serriously jam the weapon.

I'm currently using lead bullets, hence the LW bbl. With FMJ rounds in the Glock bbl, no prob at all. Even when I had the G22.

I have a 9mm conversion I plan on trying out tomorrow to see if I have the same issue.

They are typically way to tight. This one guy I know buys them all the time. Nearly every single one of them gets opened back up. I had a 9mm LW barrel. I never had a single issue with it as far as feeding is concerned. But the guy who bought it from me could not get it to run with out opening it up. I know my sizing die works very well. His must not be as good, or he is doing something else a little differernt. They are just real tight and everything has to be perfect for them to run right it seems.

Bob2223
01-16-2010, 19:57

No kidding.

Same here,

I did invest in two Storm lake barrels for our G23 and G22 just for shooting lead. But I've reloaded for 3 different 40 cal Glocks for the last 10 years with no problem.

Bob

dsmw5142
01-16-2010, 20:25
I reload a lot of lead for .40 S&W and purchased a LWD barrel about six months ago. It is definitely tighter than my Glock 22/35 chambers. Most of the time, with my lee dies, I never have a problem.

Every now and then I have a cartridge that won't chamber properly in that LWD barrel though. I usually case gauge all my finished rounds though, so it's not an issue most of the time. However, I just purchased an EGW 'U' die to try and remedy the problem. I will let you know how it works when I get a chance to try it.

wiskeyVI
01-17-2010, 06:41
Please do let us know haw that die works.
I was miking rounds right and left. All w/i spec at differant setting on the Dillon, but some I think some of it was the mix of differant manufactuers brass maybe.

It runs fine now.

shotgunred
01-17-2010, 07:30
Please do let us know haw that die works.
I was making rounds right and left. All w/i spec at different setting on the Dillon, but some I think some of it was the mix of different manufactures brass maybe.

It runs fine now.
All I shoot is mixed brass run through my dillon dies. no problems at all and I have went through 10k this year alone.

dmdegood
01-17-2010, 08:16
Thanks for all the help. My G22 is an early model. I normally reload with
W231 or WSF, but occassionally use Bullseye for a more aggressive load.
I hardly ever use range brass. My normal brass is Winchester. I do get
case bulge from the Glock. I haven't seen any bulge from a S&W model 410
which is fully supported. The tightness of the LW barrel is now scaring me.
A better solution may be to get a replacement Glock barrel. Thanks again.

WiskyT
01-17-2010, 09:23

You do realize cases get bigger when they are fired? That's what a resizing die is for. I never understood why people think their brass should come out of their gun already resized. The Glock bulge is a myth.

The only bulges I have seen in my life, and that includes firing or being amongst groups of people firing, hundreds of thousands of rounds, is when the load is too hot or once when my buddy was shooting his SW99 with Win USA. That SW99 bulged those factory rounds so that there was an obvious pregnant bulge. In my Glock I had some loads that I made with HS7 that bulged the cases the same way. The loads were below max and were too hot. Sucky powder now discontinued.

If your cases are bulging down into the feed ramp, your load is too hot, not your chamber too big. If the cases are just bigger after firing than before, that would be what we call "normal".

Colorado4Wheel
01-17-2010, 09:45

Bullseye is not the right powder to be pushing for a aggressive load. The exact oppisite of that actually.

No reason to be scared of the LW barrel either.

You sound like you really are not sure of what your doing. There is no reason to not just use common sence reloading practices and use nice safe middle of the road reloading data for the .40. Also, if you want a full power load pick a much slower powder then Bullseye.

fredj338
01-17-2010, 09:53
For accurate midrange to full power loads, the med. burners are king. Unique, WSF have given me the best accuracy, then Universal, PP would alos work, just haen't tried it.
Sorry, but this is just totally bassackwards. BE is one of the fastest powders going. I would NOT be stuffing enough into a 40 to make "aggressive" loads. That is a KB waiting to happen. WSF is a much better choice. Save the BE for minor or mousefart loads. You GLock & fingers will appreciate it.

WiskyT
01-17-2010, 10:30
So I think I'm startung to understand this. Glock makes a perfectly good barrel and along comes someone on the internet who says it's too big inside. Everyone believes him and they buy barrels that are smaller on the inside. Now they can't get ammo to fit their small inside barrel so they buy various tools to squeeze normal ammo down so it will fit inside the too small barrel. Is that about it?

PCJim
01-17-2010, 11:06
The tightness of the LW barrel is now scaring me.

There's no need to be scared of a LW barrel. From what I understand, one of the reasons Glocks are so reliable is that their chambers are ever so slightly larger to provide that extra margin of reliability. This is not to say that they make crappy barrels. Their product lines are one of the most reliable weapons made.

People generally purchase a Lone Wolf or Storm Lake replacement barrel due to the concerns of shooting lead thru the factory barrels. Lead bullets are much less expensive than jacketed bullets, and those that shoot a LOT don't want to be worried about over pressure from lead buildup or having to clean the barrel every 100 or so rounds. Personally, I fall into this category but have no problem what-so-ever firing my own jacketed reloads thru the Glock barrel. I just use the LW barrel for the lead headed reloads.

PCJim
01-17-2010, 11:10
So I think I'm startung to understand this. Glock makes a perfectly good barrel and along comes someone on the internet who says it's too big inside. Everyone believes him and they buy barrels that are smaller on the inside. Now they can't get ammo to fit their small inside barrel so they buy various tools to squeeze normal ammo down so it will fit inside the too small barrel. Is that about it?

Isn't that capitalism at it's finest?

Actually, there is nothing wrong with either the Glock or aftermarket barrels. LW barrels are not undersized, or not that I am aware of. They may be a bit tighter than a Glock factory barrel, but I believe Glock makes their barrels a bit larger to make them more reliable.

Any reload that is within SAAMI specifications will (should) fit in either barrel unless there was the occasional manufacturing defect (which ANY manufacturer could encounter). It's not a case of squeezing normal ammo down below specifications.

Bret
01-17-2010, 11:12
If you find a case that has the smile on it or looks pregnant or whatever, that's a clue. Just get rid of it. Fortunately, my G23 doesn't do that to any cases.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're doing during the crimp step. If the cartridges will fall in the barrel prior to crimping, they should do the same after. The only thing that the taper crimp operation does is remove the bell that was necessary for the seating step. I actually think that the term "crimp" is wrong in the context of the operation that is actually performed. A better term would be "debelling". The use of the word crimp leads many people to believe that its purpose is to help hold the bullet which is incorrect.

W4CNG
01-18-2010, 14:00
The Lone Wolf and Storm Lake both have fully supported chambers in the barrel. The Glock is not and that is what causes the bulge. I have tons of Range Brass from working at a range 11 years ago and early last year bought the Redding G-RX which is a push thru full length sizer. Using my SL barrel, I only have to re-size them one time. Next time no bulge and easy resizing in my SDB press.

Faulkner
01-24-2010, 08:04
All I shoot is mixed brass run through my dillon dies. no problems at all and I have went through 10k this year alone.

Same here, and I use TiteGroup as well.

BuffaloBo
01-24-2010, 09:39
which is common with the Glock 22 stock barrel?

Usually, most aftermarket barrels provide more 6 o'clock case support than stock Glock. However, my approximately 3 year old G23 provides very good case support compared to my approximately 10 year old G20. I'm pretty sure Glock consciously and quietly beefed up the barrels for a while now.

I can and do sometimes load them on the hot side in my G23. No evident bulging seen.

dsmw5142
01-24-2010, 19:34
Well... I tried out he EGW 'U' die in .40 and it works great. It re-sizes better and a bit further down the case without a doubt.

I used to have some of my loaded cartridges that wouldn't drop completely in to a lyman cartridge gauge... not anymore. I think I'm going to order one in 9mm now too.

For anyone who is interested, here is a link...

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=40