Looking for an Automatic Knife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Automatic Knife

milglock707
01-16-2010, 10:04
Let's try this in the right forum now.

Does anyone have any experience with the automatic knives from Gerber? I was looking at these and was wondering if they held up as well as the spring-assisted ones do. Additionally, if these are not quite up to par do you have any suggestions for an automatic that are up to par. The main purpose for this knife would be a combat environment and used as a back up to my main combat knife.

Also another poster to stick with the Benchmade, Microtech, Protech, ero Tolerance, and Spyderco for autos. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Thanks! :wavey:

tripton
01-16-2010, 17:51
While at one point in time Gerber may have been a respected maker of quality cutlery, Fiskars have reduced them to little more than a joke in the knife community.

You would be better off trying one of the other brands you mentioned. Any of them would be wiser than a Gerber.

milglock707
01-16-2010, 19:08
So what I am getting is that the automatics are a pretty poor choice. Any of you have suggestions for a good knife with at least a 3.5 to 4 inch blade then?

sentinel208
01-16-2010, 19:47
PM sent.

syntaxerrorsix
01-17-2010, 11:33
Nothing at all wrong with automatics. Gerber Knives just aren't making very good ones.

tripton
01-17-2010, 21:42
Nothing at all wrong with automatics. Gerber Knives just aren't making very good ones.

Exactly.

tall terry
01-18-2010, 15:07
Get a good automatic, I carry a benchmade 9100 daily for the last 3 years, great knife. get a benchmade, microtech or protech, I have all 3 of these brands, top notch heavy duty knives, work everytime, don't know about the zero tolerance, or spidies, never owned them, I'm sure they're great also. TT

ncglock19
01-18-2010, 22:34
Where's the best place to locate the Microtechs? I'm interested in a Troodon, but all the websites I find list them as out of stock or restricted.

joe

Hawk45
01-19-2010, 18:54
Protech, Microtech, Benchmade, Robbie Dalton's.. all good knives. But they will cost you some coin.. the Protech TR3 is a great value in the auto knife world.

cliff_dx
01-19-2010, 19:04
i've been carrying a smith & wesson automatic SWAT knife daily for over 5 years and have had no problems with it

polizei1
01-21-2010, 13:14
i've been carrying a smith & wesson automatic SWAT knife daily for over 5 years and have had no problems with it

:agree: I carry the same, and haven't had any issues with it. I love having an auto. You do need to check your state laws though, as not everyone is permitted to carry autos. But you said for combat use, so I assume you're in the military, therefore, doesn't matter because you are allowed (at least in Ohio).

Although, some people do complain about the weak safety, and I would have to agree. I think my next purchase will either be a Benchmade or Kershaw.

-Cody

deadday
01-21-2010, 13:15
Let's try this in the right forum now.

Does anyone have any experience with the automatic knives from Gerber? I was looking at these and was wondering if they held up as well as the spring-assisted ones do. Additionally, if these are not quite up to par do you have any suggestions for an automatic that are up to par. The main purpose for this knife would be a combat environment and used as a back up to my main combat knife.

Also another poster to stick with the Benchmade, Microtech, Protech, ero Tolerance, and Spyderco for autos. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Thanks! :wavey:

You should've gotten a Gerber auto knife with one of the RFIs....Gerber is good stuff....I don't have any experience with the Spyderco autos though...