Guys I need your opinion on a Nighthawk T3 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guys I need your opinion on a Nighthawk T3

Blaster
01-16-2010, 15:14
I have been looking for a 5" 1911 that suits me. Never owned a 1911 so this is all new to me. Today I fondled a Nighthawk T3, used in near mint condition. I was impressed. I had a hard time walking away with out buying it.

Darn, I am already thinking about whether or not I will still want a 5" after buying the T3. So what do you think about Nighthawks quality?

Anyone own a T3?

Hmm, now that I looked on Nighthawk's web site and see the list price ($2,699.00) perhaps $2359 is not such a great deal on a used gun. Then the guy said there is haggle room with cash.

Officer's Match
01-16-2010, 15:19
The T3 is the most appealing Nighthawk for me.

Jim Watson
01-16-2010, 15:24
If you want a 5" buy a 5", a cute little chop job will not do the same work.

As the wise man said, "A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist."

andy4731
01-16-2010, 16:01
The T3 is the most appealing Nighthawk for me.

+1, though I will say that I am do not find the rest of the collection all that appealing. I am sure there is nothing wrong with them, just a personal taste kind of thing.

Blaster
01-16-2010, 16:08
If you want a 5" buy a 5", a cute little chop job will not do the same work.

True, I agree. Yet that cute little chop job is not useless. Just thinking and typing at the same time. I am trying to decide if the T3 will fill the void for the time being and allow me to tolerate the 12 month wait for that "perfect" 5" that I will need to get built to fulfill my requirements.

In a 5" I would like:

Forged quality slide and frame.
Naked slide (no markings) & no front cocking serrations.
Lowered and flared ejection port,
Fit and stake bar-stock plunger tube .
Match grade Non-ramped barrel and solid bushing.
Single side safety.
Extended ejector
Heinie ledge or 10-8 rear site.
Tritium tube in Front sight only no white outline.
No external Mag well, just beveled frame mag well.
Ed Brown style beaver tail.
25 lpi High-cut front strap
Arched Main spring housing.
Short trigger, preferably solid with hidden or no adjustment screw.
Trigger job 4.5 lbs crisp
Obviously all nicely fitted and dehorned for carry.
Ionbond's DLC Finish. Also referred to as Diamond Black.
Same finish on Barrel bushing and trigger (stealth gun)

jdprew
01-16-2010, 16:13
I purchased a Talon II (Commander size) performance through 2,100 rounds has been flawless. Fit and finish is excellent I am very pleased and will buy another Nighthawk.

drc767
01-16-2010, 16:50
I purchased an new black T3 and had nothing but problems from the minute I brought it home. My first inclination that something was not right was when I went to chamber the first round and the slide stoped short of going into battery. The extractor was WAY too tight. I had to send it back to Nighthawk. There was NO WAY that this pistol was test fired from the factory with the extractor this tight even though there was a test target included.....If it was, it should have NEVER left the factory like this. When I got it back, it still had extractor issues, not to mention the ejected cases chipped the finish off the slide above and around the ejection port. Totally unacceptable for a pistol at this price point. The T3 is a very slick looking pistol and feels good in the hand, but mine was a total lemon. I have read about others with similar issues. Nighthawk took care of the extractor problems with two trips back to Arkansas, but the ejection damage to the finish continued. I ended up selling that POS, taking a huge loss and never looked at another Nighthawk again....In fact, I sold the other two that I had (that did not have any issues at all) because I was so pissed. Everybody has a problem child every now and again.....My T3 experience was way less than positive.

GVFlyer
01-16-2010, 19:34
I considered the Nighthawk Custom T3 when I was shopping for a non-bobtailed Commander-size 1911, but Crazy John had a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Commanche Special in hard chrome with three fired-in-the-gun magazines in stock at a much better price point. The Baer has been flawless.

Note Bene: Les Baer thinks he makes a better gun by not sizing the full size frame that he puts under the 4.25 inch slide on his Commanche to Colt Commander specifications, subsequently he will not cut them down. He further states that his guns are not designed to "slingshot". In practice, the slide travel on my Commanche Special aft of the slide stop measures exactly the same as on my full size Wilson Combat CQB - .125 inch. As a result, my Commanche Special slingshots like any other 1911.

bac1023
01-16-2010, 20:32
No doubt the T3 is a great 1911. I also love Nighthawks in general.

However, I only buy full framed 1911s, so the T3 is out for me.

Blaster
01-16-2010, 20:49
No doubt the T3 is a great 1911. I also love Nighthawks in general.

However, I only buy full framed 1911s, so the T3 is out for me.

My problem is that I hear and remember too much. Some tell me that the only reliable 1911 is the original 5" length. Others say no production 1911 runs reliably out of the box without a competent smith tuning it. Another told me Les Bear uses cheap steel because the guns are super tight new and loosen up quickly.

Me I am used to Glocks that just plain work every time. The lines of a 1911 appeal to me. I like the looks. Heck when you say 45 what does everyone think of, the 1911 of course.

Then there is the slimness of the design. A lot slimmer than a G30 or G21. I'm thinking easier inside the pants carry compared to Glock although there will be a weight difference.

Lastly it is darn near impossible to get a better trigger than in a quality 1911.

All that, I think about how many Glocks I could buy for the price and I really don't need any more Glocks.

bac1023
01-16-2010, 20:54
My problem is that I hear and remember too much. Some tell me that the only reliable 1911 is the original 5" length. Others say no production 1911 runs reliably out of the box without a competent smith tuning it. Another told me Les Bear uses cheap steel because the guns are super tight new and loosen up quickly.

Me I am used to Glocks that just plain work every time. The lines of a 1911 appeal to me. I like the looks. Heck when you say 45 what does everyone think of, the 1911 of course.

Then there is the slimness of the design. A lot slimmer than a G30 or G21. I'm thinking easier inside the pants carry compared to Glock although there will be a weight difference.

Lastly it is darn near impossible to get a better trigger than in a quality 1911.

All that, I think about how many Glocks I could buy for the price and I really don't need any more Glocks.

Get a nice 1911.

Buying five or six Glocks instead is just a pile of plastic at the end of the day.

Blaster
01-16-2010, 21:03
Get a nice 1911.

Buying five or six Glocks instead is just a pile of plastic at the end of the day.

Yup, I want to. I just am having a hard time figuring out what to get. That T3 really looked and felt sweet. I am hemming and hawing about going back there tomorrow and making my first 1911 a 4.25" T3.

bac1023
01-16-2010, 21:07
Yup, I want to. I just am having a hard time figuring out what to get. That T3 really looked and felt sweet. I am hemming and hawing about going back there tomorrow and making my first 1911 a 4.25" T3.

Have you looked at any other Nighthawks?

Blaster
01-16-2010, 21:18
Have you looked at any other Nighthawks?

Yes, and I called them and emailed them for a quote.

Gentlemen,

I am interested in purchasing one of your pistols. Yesterday I spoke on the phone with one of your staff. Most of the stuff below was discussed but we never talked about price. Can you provide me with a quote for a .45 ACP pistol equipped as follows:

Nighthawk GRP

Naked slide (no markings) with no front cocking serrations.

Heinie plain Ledge site rear, front night site preferably serrated with no white outline only a tritium vial.

Short 10-8 curved trigger. http://www.10-8performance.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://www.10-8performance.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/trigger06_l.jpg&target=tlx_new

Arched main spring housing.

Spare extractor fitted and tuned to the pistol.

Complete Diamond Black including trigger and barrel.

Nighthawk's reply:

The retail quote for the pistol and features you have listed below is $2865 normal build time for that pistol is about 6 to 10 weeks and the DB finish could add 5 to 10 weeks to that.

We are looking forward to building your pistol for you.

Shawn Armstrong
Nighthawk Custom

GVFlyer
01-16-2010, 21:27

None of that has been my experience. Among my better 1911s, I have 4.25 inch and 5 inch Colts, Les Baers, Wilson Combat and Sig Sauer 1911s, with an Ed Brown on order. All have simply done what they were supposed to do from the day I took them out of the box. To show you how opinions vary, I think Les Baer's metallurgy is better than Wilson Combat's. I also think Les Baer pistols offer the best value among the semi-custom 1911 crafters.

Blaster
01-16-2010, 21:32
To show you how opinions vary, I think Les Baer's metallurgy is better than Wilson Combat's. I also think Les Baer pistols offer the best value among the semi-custom 1911 crafters.

I hear you everyone has a different opinion. Actually I have heard that Les Baer are the best value out there and I remember hearing about Baer's superior metallurgy too.

Does Baer take custom orders to make it the way you want it?

GVFlyer
01-16-2010, 21:36
Absolutely.

bac1023
01-16-2010, 21:37
Does Baer take custom orders to make it the way you want it?

Not to the level that Nighthawk does.

MD357
01-16-2010, 21:58

:rofl:

"Some" <-----inexperienced
"Others" <----- ignorant
"Another" <----- flat out retarded or ....FAAwrench, if I may?...... Smoking crack!!

The last one sounds like a gunshop commando greatest hits.

MD357
01-16-2010, 22:02
Note Bene: Les Baer thinks he makes a better gun by not sizing the full size frame that he puts under the 4.25 inch slide on his Commanche to Colt Commander specifications, subsequently he will not cut them down. He further states that his guns are not designed to "slingshot". In practice, the slide travel on my Commanche Special aft of the slide stop measures exactly the same as on my full size Wilson Combat CQB - .125 inch. As a result, my Commanche Special slingshots like any other 1911.

Baer is behind the times and needs to stop being so stubborn. Many are trained to slingshot and it's a valid practice. Several other vendors realize this and his is the ONLY semi-custom 4" platform to have signficant problems. Many Pistolsmiths bank on it.

Officer's Match
01-16-2010, 22:03
Another told me Les Bear uses cheap steel because the guns are super tight new and loosen up quickly.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life.

GVFlyer
01-16-2010, 22:19
Baer is behind the times and needs to stop being so stubborn. Many are trained to slingshot and it's a valid practice. Several other vendors realize this and his is the ONLY semi-custom 4" platform to have signficant problems. Many Pistolsmiths bank on it.

I can't comment on that - I have only one Baer 4.25 inch 1911 and it functions as well and reliably as any other of my full size semi-custom 1911s. As a matter of fact, based on my experience with the Commanche, I'm planning to order a Stinger.

extremist
01-16-2010, 22:24
The first time I ever handled a T3 was in Scottsdale at the Gun Club. It was like the holy grail, outstanding ergonomics. Had to have one. Ordered one from George at Gunslingers standard in DB finish.

At first I was not happy with the barrel crowning flush with the slide, but I've learned that was nit-picky, it was done that way for functioning. Thought the safety when put on exposed a little too much of the hole underneath, but again, was told it was in spec.

That being said, I've had only shot about 100-150 rounds through it, used it once in an IDPA match and had some issues with SOME defensive ammo I was testing during the match. But overall, it's good to go with Winchester SXT or Federal HST and that's what I carry in it occasionally.

I'm confident in it enough to carry it, so I guess that's all I'll say. It is superbly accurate, I just don't shoot it in competition, as I prefer my full size CDP guns :)

I may shoot it in our next local club match to get some more rounds through it. So far the DB finish is showing no wear at all.

I like it. But I also got a WC CQB Compact basically the same as the WC Bill Wilson Carry except for the slide cuts. I like it equally as well.

The DB finish is much more matte, kind of like a parkerized finish, where as the WC Armor-tuff is much more smooth, and shiny. I have to say I prefer the WC Armor-tuff. But I don't plan on shooting 2000 rounds through either of them anytime soon. :rofl:

I got other guns to shoot.....

James

Blaster
01-16-2010, 22:41
The first time I ever handled a T3 was in Scottsdale at the Gun Club. It was like the holy grail, outstanding ergonomics. Had to have one. Ordered one from George at Gunslingers standard in DB finish.

At first I was not happy with the barrel crowning flush with the slide, but I've learned that was nit-picky, it was done that way for functioning. Thought the safety when put on exposed a little too much of the hole underneath, but again, was told it was in spec.

The T3 I looked at today was exceptional in fit and finish. The barrel crown was perfect. The rear of the slide was perfectly blended with the frame. If the extractor fit was any better I would have looked for an external extractor. The safety was crisp and positive.

I certainly would not mind owning that gun. It is just a matter of whether or not I want to start with T3 when I had envisioned a 5" full sized model.

What ever I do get will see a lot of use. There will be many 300 - 400 round days in formal classes and plenty of just plain ole range time.

BOGE
01-16-2010, 23:06
Get a nice 1911.

Bac, take a deep breath. You´re not on 1911.com, ok? :supergrin:

bac1023
01-16-2010, 23:15
Bac, take a deep breath. You´re not on 1911.com, ok? :supergrin:

Yeah, I should remember that.

I actually do like Glocks, but buying that many at once, instead of a quality 1911 if you don't have one seems silly to me. :embarassed:

HAIL CAESAR
01-16-2010, 23:29
Some tell me that the only reliable 1911 is the original 5" length. Others say no production 1911 runs reliably out of the box without a competent smith tuning it. Another told me Les Bear uses cheap steel because the guns are super tight new and loosen up quickly.

All the statements told to you like the ones posted above must have came from a moron.

Blaster
01-16-2010, 23:35

Yeah, I should remember that.

I actually do like Glocks, but buying that many at once, instead of a quality 1911 if you don't have one seems silly to me. :embarassed:

FYI, I was just making a price comparison 5 Glocks = 1 Custom 1911, if it's a Heinie gun or a Vickers gun 10+ Glocks.

GVFlyer
01-16-2010, 23:38
All the statements told to you like the ones posted above must have came from a moron.

Uh, that's "MORAN".

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/f/f/get_a_brain_morans.jpg

bac1023
01-16-2010, 23:52
FYI, I was just making a price comparison 5 Glocks = 1 Custom 1911, if it's a Heinie gun or a Vickers gun 10+ Glocks.

That would be semi custom = 5 Glocks.

bac1023
01-16-2010, 23:53
Uh, that's "MORAN".

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/f/f/get_a_brain_morans.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's a classic!

texdigger
01-17-2010, 08:19
I purchased an new black T3 and had nothing but problems from the minute I brought it home. My first inclination that something was not right was when I went to chamber the first round and the slide stoped short of going into battery. The extractor was WAY too tight. I had to send it back to Nighthawk. There was NO WAY that this pistol was test fired from the factory with the extractor this tight even though there was a test target included.....If it was, it should have NEVER left the factory like this. When I got it back, it still had extractor issues, not to mention the ejected cases chipped the finish off the slide above and around the ejection port. Totally unacceptable for a pistol at this price point. The T3 is a very slick looking pistol and feels good in the hand, but mine was a total lemon. I have read about others with similar issues. Nighthawk took care of the extractor problems with two trips back to Arkansas, but the ejection damage to the finish continued. I ended up selling that POS, taking a huge loss and never looked at another Nighthawk again....In fact, I sold the other two that I had (that did not have any issues at all) because I was so pissed. Everybody has a problem child every now and again.....My T3 experience was way less than positive.

Your experience is very similar to mine. At the 1st range visit, my T3's rear tritium vial fell out, failed to feed every second to last round, and the mainspring pin kept backing out. After two trips back to Nighthawk, it still kept failing to feed. I was then told it functioned fine for them, and I could send it back if I wished. The kicker was that if it functioned fine for THEM, I would be charged shipping, range time, and ammo. I said screw that and tuned the damn extractor myself!

Now after all of the above, I now have a very reliable pistol. I too have contemplated selling mine, but I really love the feel, features, accuracy, and handling of the pistol. Also, I did not want to sell it at great loss after all the hell I went through. DRC is right, someone at Nighthawk has no damn clue how to tune an extractor. Ando no, I WOULD NOT BUY ANOTHER NIGHTHAWK!!!!! :steamed::steamed::steamed:

SIGShooter
01-17-2010, 13:46
All a Nighthawk is is a more expensive Wilson.

Shhh...Don't tell anyone that though. They may get really mad.

Brian Brazier
01-17-2010, 14:40
The T3 is the only Commander sized 1911 I would buy

bac1023
01-17-2010, 15:16
All a Nighthawk is is a more expensive Wilson.

Shhh...Don't tell anyone that though. They may get really mad.

Yeah, because its not true.

They are very similar, but not more expensive.

Wilson has the more expensive models on average.

For starters, the CQB is more than the GRP and many other models line up the same way.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb.asp

http://www.nighthawktactical.com/GRP.html

The CQB Elite is more than the Talon and about identical in spec.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb_elite2.asp

http://nighthawkcustom.com/detail.aspx?ID=1

Let's see...

The Tactical Elite is more than the Predator.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_tactical_elite.asp

http://nighthawkcustom.com/detail.aspx?ID=9

The Super Grade is more than all the Nighthawks.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_supergrade.asp

I don't get what people don't understand. Wilsons are more expensive, not Nighthawk.

bac1023
01-17-2010, 15:18
The T3 is the only Commander sized 1911 I would buy

If it was a commander, I would have bought one. Its not a commander.

Blaster
01-17-2010, 16:20
Yeah, the T3 is an Officer's frame with a Commander slide. The mag well extends the grip to near commander length.

bac1023
01-17-2010, 16:34
Yeah, the T3 is an Officer's frame with a Commander slide. The mag well extends the grip to near commander length.

Yep :)

Brian Brazier
01-17-2010, 16:39
thanks for the clarification, and in that case I guess the T3 is out for me as well. I don't mind a commander lenght slide, but I need a full size frame, anything less and I can't get a comfortable grip.

bac1023
01-17-2010, 16:41
thanks for the clarification, and in that case I guess the T3 is out for me as well. I don't mind a commander lenght slide, but I need a full size frame, anything less and I can't get a comfortable grip.

Yeah, I only buy full framed 1911s.

Its just a personal preference thing for me. :dunno:

HAIL CAESAR
01-17-2010, 17:15
After two trips back to Nighthawk, it still kept failing to feed. I was then told it functioned fine for them, and I could send it back if I wished. The kicker was that if it functioned fine for THEM, I would be charged shipping, range time, and ammo.

:

I know of 3 pistols locally that did that and Nighthawk did the same to the buyers. One I fixed. The extractor was ridiculously tight but NH said it worked fine for them. I even called them and had a conversation that was a complete waste of time. So I took it out set the tension, dressed the edges, and took it out and shot a couple of trouble free mags which was something that it wouldn't do before.

The gentleman has a couple thousand now and no issues.

After that pistol, the others local, and SEVERAL exact same stories about NW....I would own another and I can work on my own guns.

HAIL CAESAR
01-17-2010, 17:19

They are a better size once you rip the magwell off.:whistling:

Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. An Officer frame that you make the about same height as a Commander with a magwell????:upeyes:
Why not get a Commander in the first place.

bac1023
01-17-2010, 20:50
They are a better size once you rip the magwell off.:whistling:

Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. An Officer frame that you make the about same height as a Commander with a magwell????:upeyes:
Why not get a Commander in the first place.

Yeah, I agree with that.

The T3 is a bit puzzling to me. :dunno:

texdigger
01-18-2010, 12:06
Yeah, I agree with that.

The T3 is a bit puzzling to me. :dunno:

Yeah, I took mine off as well. I have never understood the commander myself. Why not just carry a full size, it's pretty much the same damn thing! :dunno:

gconan
01-18-2010, 16:53
I think you fellas' miss the point. It is made for concealed carry with a magazine well. A commander with a magwell is longer. An officers with magwell is the same. I recon if you do not like or want the magwell then the gun is not for you. But if you like magwells.......then it is sensational!

HAIL CAESAR
01-18-2010, 17:40
I understand the point, but I think that it doesn't make sense to most buyers.

Some buyers would want a full size grip with full size mags and will not want to lose a round to the Officer mags.

And other buyers just want the smaller frame for printing and ease of carrying and do not mind the loss of one round.

With the T3 you have a full size frame geometry (almost) and still lose a round.

Officer size frame buyers usually are only buying that frame for the compactness over the full size frame.

Blaster
01-18-2010, 18:52
In my case even though I really liked the T3 that I looked at, I "think" I am going to pass and go with a full sized 1911. I set out on this quest with a 5" model in mind.

I just happened to run across the T3 and really liked it's looks. The fact it was used but in mint condition made me think I could get it for a bargain. Then I looked on the internet and Bud's is selling new T3s for 50 bucks more (delivered) than the price on the used gun. Add $20 to $25 for the transfer and the used gun is only $70 cheaper than new, not really a bargain.

jeremy stanke
01-18-2010, 18:52
does anyone want to sell their T3 magwell? i really like the looks of it

bac1023
01-18-2010, 21:53
I love cool looking magwells. :cool:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/028.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/026.jpg

jeremy stanke
01-21-2010, 17:17
seriously, does anyone want to sell their T3 magwell?

Brian Brazier
01-21-2010, 17:55
Try contacting Nighthawk

jeremy stanke
01-21-2010, 18:29
yea, i did and they want 200 dollars for one!!! i just saw a couple of guys here say they took theirs off so i thought they might want to get rid of them

gconan
01-21-2010, 19:05
1911 Officers size, Magwell (http://www.esmeralda.cc/magwell_9.htm)

jeremy stanke
01-21-2010, 19:41
1911 Officers size, Magwell (http://www.esmeralda.cc/magwell_9.htm)

what?

gconan
01-21-2010, 19:48
what?

Officers magwell grips. For the thread. Or T3.

GVFlyer
01-21-2010, 21:05
Colt and me use Smith & Alexander Mag Guides (Wells).

http://www.smithandalexander.com/guides.html

jeremy stanke
01-22-2010, 10:30
Colt and me use Smith & Alexander Mag Guides (Wells).

http://www.smithandalexander.com/guides.html

Yea I know they use S&A magwells but what I'm looking for is the bottom part. I like the way its shaped