Just ordered a Hornady Lock and Load AP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Hornady Lock and Load AP

Hrsuhd
01-16-2010, 19:26
I printed the on line owners manual. Are there any tips or tricks?

Bob2223
01-16-2010, 19:40
:thumbsup: Congrats !

De-greasing the powder dispenser is the main thing you want to do first.
I suggest you get the recommended Hornady cleaner/dry lube.
You will get a DVD with the press that goes through the entire set up process, and there are Videos on the Hornady website and you-tube.
Oh and don't forget to keep the UPC from the box to get you 1000 free bullets!

Bob

Hrsuhd
01-16-2010, 19:55
Sounds good. They lowered the free # to 500 but it still makes the price not hurt quite so much.It looks like a fairly user friendly set up.

PsychoKnight
01-17-2010, 07:53
What accessories did you (or plan to) order w/ the AP?

Did you get the micrometer or the case feeder?

The micro meters for both rifle and pistol is like a good navi device in the car, gets you reliably to where you want to go.

The case feeder is uber expensive, but its like not only having a large luxury car, but a chauffeur to drive it while you're having sex in the back with a hottie. Of course, its possible to have a hottie inserting the cases for you manually while you're reloading; but that's a wasteful use of resources/assets.

Myke_Hart
01-17-2010, 08:08
Oh, No! Don't do it. Cancel the order while there is still time!

The LNL causes a serious reloading addiction that can not be stopped.

Signs are: Spending thousands of dollars on bullets, primers, powder, brass, and dies. Resulting in starvation and homelessness, not to mention divorce due to being broke.

My name is Myke and I have a addiction.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/reloading/IMG_0848.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/reloading/IMG_0882.jpg

Congratulations, you too are now a addict!:rofl:

Recomendations for the LNL:
1. Build a custom bench.
2. Build a bracket for a front bullet tray.
3. Build a metal Dam for your akro bins, so they hold more finished bullets. (and they don't roll onto the floor when full)
4. Start stocking up on primers before your press arrives!

Jumper
01-17-2010, 16:33
Yeah, its a real GOOD press! Got mine and a case feeder and its the best thing since sliced bread.

Cobra64
01-17-2010, 17:22
I printed the on line owners manual. Are there any tips or tricks?

You'll need the appropriate dies and shellplate. Midway USA and Natchez are usually a good sources for Hornady stuff.

Myke_Hart
01-17-2010, 17:30
You'll need the appropriate dies and shellplate. Midway USA and Natchez are usually a good sources for Hornady stuff.

Call Hornady and get the shim for the powder drop. It works loose. :)

Hmm, Mine doesn't. I must be doing it wrong. :supergrin:

Hrsuhd
01-17-2010, 17:51
Thanks for all the input As for being an addict I was before but now its easier to get my fix

Hrsuhd
01-17-2010, 17:54
I do have a micro to use. I have all my dies. I am trying to find all my shellplates in one place but I dont think it is going to happen.

Hydraulicman
01-17-2010, 18:10
sweet your going to like the progressive loading.:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

thorn137
01-17-2010, 18:12
Biggest bit of advice (and already suggested) : Use Hornady OneShot as recommended by your manual to degrease the parts. Don't go with crap like brake cleaner or some other weird thing. One Shot is a perfect degreaser and dry lubricate for your dies/other parts and well worth the price of the can.

thorn

Cobra64
01-17-2010, 18:45
Hmm, Mine doesn't. I must be doing it wrong. :supergrin:

Nope. I'm a dope. However I did receive a few Hornady shims yesterday. It seems this is not an unusual problem.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Gun%20Room/RELOADING/P1030214.jpg

GioaJack
01-17-2010, 18:56
I go shooting for the day and return home to discover yet another of obvious class and distinction.

You've done very well so far but be forewarned... limit your reliance on any advise you might consider taking from either bob2223 or Cobra64. It is common knowledge that their medication dosage is subject to almost daily adjustments and they sometimes forget where they are or what they're saying. :whistling:

Other than that you're going to love your LNL... congratulations. :supergrin:

Jack

Myke_Hart
01-17-2010, 19:39
Nope. I'm a dope. However I did receive a few Hornady shims yesterday. It seems this is not an unusual problem.

They look like lock washers, were do they go?
Between the die locknut and the bushing?
Or the bushing and the press?

Are you using the Hornady PTX, no ptx (just powder drop), or the after market PTX?

/End HiJack

GioaJack
01-17-2010, 19:48
They look like lock washers, were do they go?
Between the die locknut and the bushing?
Or the bushing and the press?

Are you using the Hornady PTX, no ptx (just powder drop), or the after market PTX?

/End HiJack

Myke:

The shim goes between the 'O' ring and the lip of the bushing... not under the 'O' ring. The shim is a split ring so you don't have to remove the 'O' ring, just slide it down a bit, put on the shim the slide t 'O' ring back up.

I don't know how Cobra ended up with three of them, he probably whined and complained... you shouldn't need more than one for the powder measure.

Just call Hornady and they'll drop one, (or three I guess) in the mail.

Jack

Cobra64
01-17-2010, 19:56
See post #16.

thorn137
01-17-2010, 19:59
FWIW - I have an aftermarket PTX (http://www.powderfunnels.com/). Far and away better than Hornady's own offering.

thorn

Cobra64
01-17-2010, 20:20
See post #16.

kcbrown
01-17-2010, 22:03
If you're going to get/keep the LNL AP, you should paint it blue.

It's not necessarily because you want to avoid offending your Dillon-owning brethren with your bright red paint scheme...

It's because you don't want anyone to get confused and think you have a Lee Loadmaster!

:supergrin:

Hrsuhd
01-18-2010, 13:21
Lol!!!

Hrsuhd
01-18-2010, 13:23
Again thank all for the advise and the laughs

Mush
01-18-2010, 19:32
I had to clean the powder measure when new several times with Hornady dry lube spray. Powder still stuck in the tube. I used soap (dawn dishwashing) and hot water to finally clean the gunk out. Take it apart, wash well, dry well, spray dry lube on again.

Search the net for comments. I found this one useful:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5450659&postcount=36

Colorado4Wheel
01-18-2010, 19:49
See post #16.

GioaJack
01-18-2010, 19:59
See post #16.

Troublemaker. :whistling:

Jack

unclebob
01-18-2010, 20:10
Troublemaker. :whistling:

Jack

Instigator.:supergrin:

GioaJack
01-18-2010, 20:51
Instigator.:supergrin:

Everyone else says I good for nothing... you're confirmation that I'm good at something. Now I can die a happy man. :whistling:

Jack

unclebob
01-19-2010, 06:10
Now you are getting just plain delusional.:whistling:

DoctaGlockta
01-20-2010, 06:34

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Gun%20Room/RELOADING/P1030214.jpg

.Placed my shims last night for a loading session. They do the trick. So well in fact that I had a hard time removing the powder measure from the press when I was putting things away. I had to unscrew the measure from the bushing and get the bushing out with some pliers.

buyobuyo
01-20-2010, 08:21
Build a bracket for a front bullet tray.

Do you have any pictures of the bracket you made that you could post?

unclebob
01-20-2010, 09:17

http://ultimatereloader.com/?p=404

Colorado4Wheel
01-20-2010, 09:51
Placed my shims last night for a loading session. They do the trick. So well in fact that I had a hard time removing the powder measure from the press when I was putting things away. I had to unscrew the measure from the bushing and get the bushing out with some pliers.

So it's Still a "Lock and Load" but at the end of a session it's more. Locked, Struggle a little with the darn thing, Unload"

GioaJack
01-20-2010, 10:34
Placed my shims last night for a loading session. They do the trick. So well in fact that I had a hard time removing the powder measure from the press when I was putting things away. I had to unscrew the measure from the bushing and get the bushing out with some pliers.

Art:

I don't know how many shims they sent you but with both my machines they only required one each.

Place the shim above the O-ring and under the lip of the bushing. It's supposed to be just thick enough to keep the bushing from turning while the measure is activated.

Jack

DoctaGlockta
01-20-2010, 12:38
Art:

I don't know how many shims they sent you but with both my machines they only required one each.

Place the shim above the O-ring and under the lip of the bushing. It's supposed to be just thick enough to keep the bushing from turning while the measure is activated.

JackJack they sent a couple of shims. I used only one, exactly placed where you said it should go. And it does keep the bushing from turning - quite well in fact. How has yours worked?

BTW I ran my first batch of 223 through the machine last night and hit the range at lunch today. Rounds all fed and fired. Really nice to use this press to make rounds. I think I might need to get a Dillon swager as I had to use a bit of force to seat primers. Also had to tighten up the shell plate a couple of times. I only ran about 90 rounds thought the press. Do any of you use a lock washer under the shell plate holder bolt?

GioaJack
01-20-2010, 13:01
Jack they sent a couple of shims. I used only one, exactly placed where you said it should go. And it does keep the bushing from turning - quite well in fact. How has yours worked?

BTW I ran my first batch of 223 through the machine last night and hit the range at lunch today. Rounds all fed and fired. Really nice to use this press to make rounds. I think I might need to get a Dillon swager as I had to use a bit of force to seat primers. Also had to tighten up the shell plate a couple of times. I only ran about 90 rounds thought the press. Do any of you use a lock washer under the shell plate holder bolt?

Art:

I only use 1 shim on each of my machines although for the second machine they sent me 2 of them. They're so thin I think they were just stuck together. The bushing will tend to loosen up as you take the measure off more often to dump it. You may also want to check if the tool head under the bushing is dirty or roughed up with tooling marks. A scotch pad or lapping compound will clean that up in a heart beat.

Haven't had my shell plates loosen. When you installed your plate did you place a little grease on the indent balls and a little on the sub-plate. That may help it from binding and loosening the shell plate bolt. I would be hesitant about adding any extra kind of lock-washer before talking to Hornady.

Let us know how you come out... we can never have too many tips on how to keep things running smoothly.

Now get back to work so you can pay for more components. :supergrin:

Jack

DoctaGlockta
01-20-2010, 13:15
Art:

I only use 1 shim on each of my machines although for the second machine they sent me 2 of them. They're so thin I think they were just stuck together. The bushing will tend to loosen up as you take the measure off more often to dump it. You may also want to check if the tool head under the bushing is dirty or roughed up with tooling marks. A scotch pad or lapping compound will clean that up in a heart beat.

Haven't had my shell plates loosen. When you installed your plate did you place a little grease on the indent balls and a little on the sub-plate. That may help it from binding and loosening the shell plate bolt. I would be hesitant about adding any extra kind of lock-washer before talking to Hornady.

Let us know how you come out... we can never have too many tips on how to keep things running smoothly.

Now get back to work so you can pay for more components. :supergrin:

JackWill do. Thanks again Jack. Art

unclebob
01-20-2010, 13:22
Just an idea, But could you drill and tap the ram and install a set screw that is like on the Dillon pressís?:dunno:

Hrsuhd
01-23-2010, 20:29
All set up and running fine with one small glitch some how when we set it up we broke a pawl no idea how:dunno: so until I get a new pawl its only half auto indexing.:faint:

thorn137
01-23-2010, 23:50
All set up and running fine with one small glitch some how when we set it up we broke a pawl no idea how

Is it possible you torqued the shell plate screw (removing, or replacing the shell plate) with the ram lowered? If so, that has a good chance of breaking one.

thorn

Hrsuhd
01-24-2010, 00:29
Yes, Yes it is. It was about 230 in the morning. Thank you

unclebob
01-24-2010, 07:50
Yes, Yes it is. It was about 230 in the morning. Thank you

A learning lesion, donít try and setup or load when you are tired.

Myke_Hart
01-24-2010, 18:09

Like someone said above ultimate reloader sells something simular for $45.

When I designed mine, I thought that steel was over kill for the weight needed for a bullet tray. Plus I wanted the bracket centered on the press, the bin to be lower or match the height of the output bin, no screws or edges to stick out of the bracket to catch/cut/get in the way of my hand in the shellplate area, and I also did not want them to rust, so I made mine out of aluminum and made them screwless.

Using cut and welded angle aluminum.

They are plenty strong enough to hold a full box of 1000 bullets even when mounted with a zip tie.

Front
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/reloading/IMG_0966.jpg

Side
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/reloading/IMG_0970.jpg

Other Side
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/reloading/IMG_0971.jpg

With Akrobin
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/myke_hart/reloading/IMG_0972.jpg