New G23 here [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New G23 here

dishservedcold
01-16-2010, 21:04
Hows it going everyone?

First post here myself, but have been on the forums for 2+ years.

I ordered a NIB 23 from a local, trusty shop here in Flagstaff, AZ, who I've done business with before on Wednesday, went in to pick it up yesterday and it still had not arrived. Problem being, that I've had the "fever" for the past few years and now the shop is closed all next week due to the owner and 1 employee going to the gun show. I wont have my baby til the 26th of this month, I hope I can last that long without losing my mind!!!

Allthough I was very sad to hear this, the owner is taking care of me with some carry JHPs...I do how ever have a question on this...

The ammo that I was given to chose from is:
20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 180gr
20 rounds of Winchester PDX1 180gr
50 rounds of Winchester Ranger Subsonic 180gr OR
50 rounds of Winchester Ranger 155gr

What usually is the best, heavier and slower or lighter and faster AND what does everyone really like as far as carry ammo?

Thanks all who read, input and welcome me to GT

Will have pics up on the 26th ;)

AtlG23
01-22-2010, 23:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5ToYdcq7A

Pretty much the new winchester ranger T's... Any Choice will be a great choice...

To be honest. I have the Gold Dots, Ranger T's and PDX1

:-)

thegriz18
01-22-2010, 23:34
Hows it going everyone?

I ordered a NIB 23 from a local, trusty shop here in Flagstaff, AZ, who I've done business with before on Wednesday, went in to pick it up yesterday and it still had not arrived. Problem being, that I've had the "fever" for the past few years and now the shop is closed all next week due to the owner and 1 employee going to the gun show. I wont have my baby til the 26th of this month, I hope I can last that long without losing my mind!!!

Allthough I was very sad to hear this, the owner is taking care of me with some carry JHPs...I do how ever have a question on this...

What usually is the best, heavier and slower or lighter and faster AND what does everyone really like as far as carry ammo?

The Ranger loads listed aren't Ranger T's. Of the loads he's offering I'd take the PDX1. I've tested it in 165 grain and it is impressive. FWIW I prefer 155 and 165 grain bullets in 40 S&W. Check out the 165 grain PDX1 and 165 grain Ranger T (RA40TA). Both are good carry loads. The Gold Dots are also good carry loads. You really can't go wrong with either. Ranger T, Gold Dot, Golden Saber, DPX, a lot of guys like HST (I prefer Ranger T). I am going to try and test Hornady TAP 155 grain XTP and see how it performs. I have also tested the 180 grain Hornady TAP load. It was ok against bare wet pack, but a little lacking in expansion against clothed wet pack.

G23c
01-23-2010, 19:14
Howdy from Texas. my g23 and G27 both like the 180 grain. for carry I use Winchester Ranger T and now trying out the Federal HST.

Glockster84
02-02-2010, 14:07
Great choice on the 23!!!

Currahee
02-02-2010, 14:14
Any bonded round from a good brand like Gold Dot, Ranger, Golden Saber will work just fine. Buy enough so you can shoot some to test how it feeds in your pistol and have some left over for carry.

CanyonMan
02-02-2010, 14:48
Hows it going everyone?

Welcome bud.

Check out some of the comments on thread: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173831

Concerning the Winchester PDX1 180gr. for that G23
FWIW that's my current choice for whenever I get the urge to carry the G23.
I know this thread "above" is a 9mil thread. But there is a host of other info in this "eternal" ongoing saga, HA, that might help ya with the WW PDX1 180gr stuff. It is a very good choice, in a bonded bullet and has excellent penetration. I spent a good deal of time on the phone a few weeeks ago with a friend of mine that works at the WW ammo plant. Some of that discussion is on the above thread I gave.

Good shooting. ;)

CanyonMan