Buffer Tube questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Tube questions

JTLIII
01-17-2010, 00:08
Okay, so I bought a Magpul ACS stock for my new build and a mil spec buffer tube kit. So, I was thinking about putting a CTR stock on my other M4. It has a commercial tube.

If I buy a new milspec buffer tube for it, can I use the same castle nut, buffer, and spring?

mvician
01-17-2010, 00:14
yes you can

JTLIII
01-17-2010, 00:28
great! thanks. Now I need to decide if upgrading to a mil spec buffer tube is really worth it

Kentak
01-18-2010, 01:07
great! thanks. Now I need to decide if upgrading to a mil spec buffer tube is really worth it

In *my* opinion, it's not a big deal. First of all, a mil spec tube may be mil spec in dimension only, and not as strong as a "true" mil spec tube. In which case there's virtually no difference between commercial and MS. Technically, a "true" mil spec tube is stronger than one that is not. But--is this forum or any other "black rifle" forum oozing with accounts of broken commercial tubes? Not that I'm aware of.

faawrenchbndr
01-18-2010, 05:28
..... In which case there's virtually no difference between commercial and MS. Technically, a "true" mil spec tube is stronger than one that is not....

Here are the DIFFERENCES,.....

-Mil Spec
--7075T-6 forged aluminum
--7.25" Long
--1.14" OD
--.073" Outer wall thickness
--Squared End

-Commercial
--6061T-6 extruded aluminum
--7.8" Long
--1.17" OD
--.085" Outer wall thickness
--Tapered End

bdh_1
01-18-2010, 06:00
I believe Kentac was speaking about the mil-spec diameter receiver extensions made out of 6061 when he stated no difference when compared to commercial.

faawrenchbndr
01-18-2010, 07:04
I believe Kentac was speaking about the mil-spec diameter receiver extensions made out of 6061 when he stated no difference when compared to commercial.

Uh,...did you not read what he posted?
"there's virtually no difference between commercial and MS"

Three-Five-Seven
01-18-2010, 08:07
Two things:

1. Putting a mil-spec extension on both guns will permit you to easily switch the stocks around to know which stock you want on which gun.

2. Castle nuts are thought of as expendable. I reuse mine when possible, but the "manual" says to change 'em every time. (FYI)