Springfield Loaded, any opinions?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Loaded, any opinions??

S. Kelly
01-17-2010, 01:23
I'm considering a SA Loaded. Any opinions? Best price? Thanks in advance.

nastytrigger
01-17-2010, 01:39
I've told my story about my Loaded Parkerized hundreds of times on GT... First mag, five shots in, tritium vial flies out of sight. Finished shooting more rounds, but ruined my day. Sent to Geneseo to fix. With factory mags, Chip McCormick, they would get stuck in the back of the mag well. Magazines would not seat. I had to file a sharp edge just forward of the sear/disco in the mag well to allow those mags to seat. Wilsons had no problems. Heard bad things about finishing on my parkerized. I regretted getting parkerized when I bought it, but did anyway. Rust comes and goes no matter what I do to it. Not as accurate as I hoped. Luckily, I bought this 1911 as a test gun. First 1911 ever so I wanted a 'frills' basic one. Now, the gun shoots anything, LRN, FMJ, Golden Sabers, +P Cor-Bon, Gold Dots, Wolf. I have plans to send it back to Springfield to the Custom Shop to put in a Nowlin barrel/match bushing, tighten slide to frame, Black T finish, extended mag well, 3.5lb trigger, etc. For now, sticking with my Glocks mostly. I guess mine could be considered a lemon since I've heard some great reviews that led me to this gun. I'm keeping my Loaded, don't get me wrong, but buyer beware.

sns3guppy
01-17-2010, 01:54
If you're really stuck on Springfield, then get a TRP, instead.

Gary1911A1
01-17-2010, 06:26
If you're really stuck on Springfield, then get a TRP, instead.

I agree. Better hand fitting than the Loaded.

hikerpaddler
01-17-2010, 07:49
The loaded's are excellent guns. As far as price, it's what you find.

glassglock
03-03-2010, 08:19
I own 3 Springfield Loaded 1911's. All three are flwless in their operation and of the 3, my parkerized model is the most accurate. The accuracy of a 1911 depends on how well the parts are fitted, and I just got lucky with my parkerized loaded. I own hanguns from most major manufacturers, and so far this 1911 is the most mechanically accurate by far.

My SA Loaded 1911 parkerized:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6733/blackbeautys.jpg

14-shots @ 25-yards, unsupported Weaver stance:
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8311/1strange.jpg

Jason D
03-03-2010, 17:45
I have two of the loaded models.
One in stainless, and one parkerized. I bought them both at the same time years ago, with the idea of using the stainless for a CCW gun.

They are both good guns, but if I could go back and buy them again. I probably wouldn't opt for the loaded models. I would go with the milspec instead.

There are features that make the loaded attractive to many people. Namely the commander hammer, beavertail, front cocking serrations, and Novak nightsights.
These features are exactly what I found I don't like.

ambluemax
03-03-2010, 18:50
I highly recomend the loaded. I have a TRP, but I think they are a little over priced now NIB, so the loaded is a better value in what you actually get for what you pay.

Hard to elaborate too much if you don't give us more info on your intended use.

ronin.45
03-03-2010, 19:10
The loaded is a great starter 1911. Solid, accurate, and reliable.
Of course it doesn't match up to a TRP or semi-custom guns. In it's price range it is a good choice.

ArmoryDoc
03-03-2010, 19:21
I'm considering a SA Loaded. Any opinions? Best price? Thanks in advance.

Good gun for the money.

GVFlyer
03-03-2010, 19:23
It's called the "Loaded" because it's loaded with Metal Injected Molding parts.

bac1023
03-03-2010, 19:25
Honestly, save a few extra bucks for the TRP.

GVFlyer
03-03-2010, 19:46
Deleted - duplicate post.

GVFlyer
03-03-2010, 19:50
14-shots @ 25-yards, unsupported Weaver stance:
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8311/1strange.jpg

Incredible shooting at over 80 feet.

SouthpawShootr
03-03-2010, 20:19
Honestly, save a few extra bucks for the TRP.

That'll probably be my next.

Ryobi
03-04-2010, 07:13
:notworthy: The loaded's are excellent guns.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 07:40
:notworthy: The loaded's are excellent guns.

Eh

I actually prefer the S&W SW1911 or Kimber custom II in the same price range.

hikerpaddler
03-04-2010, 07:53
Good for you bac. Ryobi is quite correct however. Eh. :wavey:

ambluemax
03-04-2010, 08:57
Eh

I actually prefer the S&W SW1911 or Kimber custom II in the same price range.

I notice you say this a lot and I'm sure you've said why before...but could you refresh my (our) memory please?

Bill Lumberg
03-04-2010, 09:03
Quote re: bac and loadeds:

He hates the word "Loaded". Base springers are fine, custom springers are fine. A base springer with a gunsmith performing the same mods as a loaded comes with is fine, even if that gunsmith charges the same as the springfield custom shop would have. He just doesn't like the word.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 09:37
Good for you bac. Ryobi is quite correct however. Eh. :wavey:

Nah

The great Springfields start with the TRP. I also like the GI as a 1911A1 replica.

As far as enhanced 1911s under $1000 are concerned, I prefer Kimber and S&W. They just give the impression of better fitting, nicer finsh, and overall higher quality.

Just an opinion. YMMV

bac1023
03-04-2010, 09:52
I notice you say this a lot and I'm sure you've said why before...but could you refresh my (our) memory please?

Sure.

Its not that I thing they're bad 1911s, because they aren't. I just prefer Kimber and S&W under $1000.

I don't think the Loaded is as nicely fit or as refined.

That said, I've never owned a Loaded. I've shot one and handled several.

Maybe I'll pick one up at some point just to do a three way test between the SW1911, Custom II, and Loaded.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_2051.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_2542.jpg

Now...

I do own the best 1911 from each and well state that Springfield is on a whole other level. Smith's Performance Center PC1911 and Kimber's "Custom Shop" Super Match are awesome, but they don't come close to Springfield Custom's TGO1.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_1749.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_1752.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_1673.jpg

Brian Brazier
03-04-2010, 11:17
I agree with bac, the Springfield Loaded isn't as refined as the other 1911's in the $700 market. I own a S&W similar to bac's, it just came with different grips, and I have been very impressed by everything about it. Sure they have a couple non JMB features, but S&W makes one of if not the best external extractor 1911's on the market, and if the firing pin safety really bothers you buy one of the plates Brownells sells to disengage it.

TonyT
03-04-2010, 11:27
I own two SA 1911's -the 9mm Target and 45 ACP Trophy Match. Both have been reliable performerswith the Trophy Match having a distinct edge in the accuracy department.
You should also look at the Dan Wesson Pointman series - I have them in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Exceptionally well finished and fitted guns at a very reasonable price. Mine have been totally reliable and the 9mm is far more accurate that the SA 9mm Target.
I have also heard excellent reports from fellow shooters on the S&W 1911's but do not have any personnal experience.

hikerpaddler
03-04-2010, 11:32
YMMV. My loaded was the best non-glock gun purchase I've made. It's been an excellent gun in all respects, except it needs more checkering.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 13:45
Guys, I was just at my local shop a couple hours ago. They just received a brad new black stainless Loaded Target model

It was this model here with the adjustable night sights:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=18

After handling and checking it out for a while, I stand by what I say.

I'm just not impressed. The trigger was lousy, compared to the SW1911 and Custom II. The fitting wasn't nearly as good and the attention to detail is lacking. I'm sorry, but its just not my idea of a good value. This one with the adjustable night sights was $1000. :wow:

Are you kidding me? :shocked:

Never mind the Custom II and SW1911, the STI Trojan is basically the same price and 10 times the 1911. Granted it doesn't have night sights, but there is absolutely no comparison in terms of quality.

My opinion stands. Buy a GI or move up to the TRP, which is worlds better.

If you want an enhanced 1911 under a grand, stay away from Springfield.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 13:45
YMMV. My loaded was the best non-glock gun purchase I've made. It's been an excellent gun in all respects, except it needs more checkering.

OK, but what other 1911s are you comparing it to?

Bill Lumberg
03-04-2010, 14:49
Love my loaded. Couldn't recommend one more highly. That said, if it weren't for holster issues, I'd have added a Kimber Warrior to the safe.

hikerpaddler
03-04-2010, 14:56
I believe we've discussed this in a previous thread with a record setting no-likey-the-Loaded bac post count. No matter how many times either of us opines in a given thread it doesn't change the fact that I am quite pleased with my gun, or that you have a strong vague aversion to them. I have only had extended range time with a base colt, a loaded (mine), and a Nighthawk (a Talon, I think). I find my porridge to be precisely the right temperature, so to speak. I drool over the checkering of the hawk, shudder at the trigger of the colt, but find all three to shoot very well. To each his or her own. Wouldn't want a Kia. Haven't driven a maserati, but neither affects my satisfaction with or the drivability of my truck or jeep. If you get my meaning.

OK, but what other 1911s are you comparing it to?

okie
03-04-2010, 15:18
My Loaded is flawless:thumbsup:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/okie1911/RRASA.jpg

bac1023
03-04-2010, 16:20
I believe we've discussed this in a previous thread with a record setting no-likey-the-Loaded bac post count. No matter how many times either of us opines in a given thread it doesn't change the fact that I am quite pleased with my gun, or that you have a strong vague aversion to them. I have only had extended range time with a base colt, a loaded (mine), and a Nighthawk (a Talon, I think). I find my porridge to be precisely the right temperature, so to speak. I drool over the checkering of the hawk, shudder at the trigger of the colt, but find all three to shoot very well. To each his or her own. Wouldn't want a Kia. Haven't driven a maserati, but neither affects my satisfaction with or the drivability of my truck or jeep. If you get my meaning.

Fair enough. There's no doubt it should be extremely reliable and accurate. However, as I look at my Custom II now, its just feels finer and more precise for the same price or less.

Like I said, I may get a Loaded for comparison purposes.

...it just won't have the adjustable night sights. :supergrin:

$1000 for a Loaded is nuts.

DblTap.45
03-04-2010, 16:48
My Loaded is flawless:thumbsup:

what he said-X's 10

Line Rider
03-04-2010, 17:06
I have got a parkerized Loaded and I'm thinking about sending it back to up grade it to a TRP.

ambluemax
03-04-2010, 17:14
BAC, fit and finish aside...would you say the three are made from comperable quality parts (hammers, trigger mechs, safeties and what not)? In your opinion the difference is just the way they are put together, or not?

I personally have a GI as a replica and my other springfield is a TRP. I haven't shot the mil-spec or Loaded, but I still consider then a value although I'm not really looking to own a pistol from that pricerange myself. I agree that Springer, Smith and Kimber are very comperable, but I'm inclined to buy them in that order myself.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 17:22
BAC, fit and finish aside...would you say the three are made from comperable quality parts (hammers, trigger mech, safeties and what not)?

For just parts, I give the Loaded the edge. The frame and slide are forged and there is no goofy firing pin safety.

They all use a good deal of MIM though.

meangreenlx50
03-04-2010, 17:51
I have a Loaded 1911 that I bought in 2002, it has the single sided saftey. I have shot it a great deal and not had any breakage, my uncle owns a SW1911 and the fit is somewhat better but they shoot the same, and my trigger feels fine. My loaded had been my exclusive carry gun since it was bought and only replaced last year on an occasional basis by a G20.

Brian Brazier
03-04-2010, 18:19
For just parts, I give the Loaded the edge. The frame and slide are forged and there is no goofy firing pin safety.

They all use a good deal of MIM though.

According to S&W the newer made 1911's only have 2 MIM parts, the dissconector and sear.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 18:22
According to S&W the newer made 1911's only have 2 MIM parts, the dissconector and sear.

That could be, Brian.

I was actually referring more to Kimber and Springfield.

Don-wayne
03-04-2010, 19:58
I was looking for a cheeper quality 1911 to beat on in competition. I owned a TRP and liked it so I thought I would check out the loaded serries. I went to my local gunshop MEGASPORTS. Any one who has been there knows they have a ton of Springfield 1911s in stock. I fondled more than a few stainless loadeds and no two felt the same. Some the barrel and slide were tight but the thumb safety felt real gritty and wouldn't work from the right side of the gun. Others had horrible triggers etc etc etc.... I left and ordered a Trojan online. My problem was huge variation from one gun to another. I still love the higher end springfields but the loaded left me not so impressed.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 20:07
I was looking for a cheeper quality 1911 to beat on in competition. I owned a TRP and liked it so I thought I would check out the loaded serries. I went to my local gunshop MEGASPORTS. Any one who has been there knows they have a ton of Springfield 1911s in stock. I fondled more than a few stainless loadeds and no two felt the same. Some the barrel and slide were tight but the thumb safety felt real gritty and wouldn't work from the right side of the gun. Others had horrible triggers etc etc etc.... I left and ordered a Trojan online. My problem was huge variation from one gun to another. I still love the higher end springfields but the loaded left me not so impressed.

Yep. They aren't very consistent at all, from my experience. That said, every one I handled had something about it I didn't care for.

There is a HUGE difference between a Loaded and a TRP.

SouthpawShootr
03-04-2010, 20:12
Yep. They aren't very consistent at all, from my experience. That said, every one I handled had something about it I didn't care for.

There is a HUGE difference between a Loaded and a TRP.

Damn, I got to get myself a TRP. I have 2 Loaded 9mms (fixed and adjustable sights). They seem decent to me, though neither seems to really be the equal of my Kimber TLEII (which I got for much less than that adjustable sighted Loaded). I know I paid too much for my adjustable sighted model (just short of $900 OTD), but I had the "wants" and these things in 9mm seemed to be (at the time) hard to come by. My fixed sighted one was much less but LN rather than NIB.

bac1023
03-04-2010, 20:30
Damn, I got to get myself a TRP. I have 2 Loaded 9mms (fixed and adjustable sights). They seem decent to me, though neither seems to really be the equal of my Kimber TLEII (which I got for much less than that adjustable sighted Loaded). I know I paid too much for my adjustable sighted model (just short of $900 OTD), but I had the "wants" and these things in 9mm seemed to be (at the time) hard to come by. My fixed sighted one was much less but LN rather than NIB.

The TRP is a nice piece.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_1679.jpg

wjv
03-04-2010, 23:44
Been real happy with my loaded. It's been very reliable, even though it has a 3" barrel, which some people here swear makes a 1911 unreliable. . .

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/P1030100.jpg

bac1023
03-05-2010, 05:02
Been real happy with my loaded. It's been very reliable, even though it has a 3" barrel, which some people here swear makes a 1911 unreliable. . .

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/P1030100.jpg

Short barreled 1911s have come a very long way in the last 10 years or so.