Colts new barrel throat looks odd [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colts new barrel throat looks odd

Narkcop
01-17-2010, 05:58
Note the new throat configuration on the barrel on the right. Believe it or not, this new setup actually improves reliability and reduces the chances of case blowout by better supporting the case head. All current-production Colts use this new configuration, including the new Series 70 pistols. An original GI barrel is at the far left, while a normal "throated" barrel is shown in the middle for comparison.

Jim S.
01-17-2010, 06:31
It does look odd. I guess you have to trust them since they've been making 1911's for a while. The center of the barrel ramp is the part that will cause a round to not feed. That and hitting the inside of the hood at the wrong angle.

BOGE
01-17-2010, 07:31
Note the new throat configuration on the barrel on the right...

They´ve been using that for the better part of a decade if not more. It´s actually pretty ingenious and something every stock 1911 should have IMO.

ArmoryDoc
01-17-2010, 10:34
It looks odd but I'm a believer in that it works, and works good. My Commander has that config and I am really impressed with the results.

zdragon23c
01-17-2010, 11:13
the regular throated barrels are more reliable from my own experience.

ArmoryDoc
01-17-2010, 11:16
the regular throated barrels are more reliable from my own experience.

Please tell us why the newer style did not work for you ? What was the specific issue ?

Narkcop
01-17-2010, 11:26
My Ltwt. Colt Commander works fine and feeds HP's easily.

nastytrigger
01-17-2010, 11:57
Thanks for the pic. Interesting to see the differences.

Screaming .357G
01-17-2010, 15:12
That newer style has been in use for some time. It has proven to be very reliable for me in my series 80 full size.

zdragon23c
01-17-2010, 15:25
Please tell us why the newer style did not work for you ? What was the specific issue ?

base solely on my own experience(yours may vary).....this barrel feeds reliably only with KimProtag mags....dimpled Metalforms and Wilson 47s have a hard time feeding the top round fully loaded.

BOGE
01-17-2010, 19:07
base solely on my own experience(yours may vary).....this barrel feeds reliably only with KimProtag mags....dimpled Metalforms and Wilson 47s have a hard time feeding the top round fully loaded.

Two questions:

1. Are you using the slide release or ¨slingshotting¨?

2. Shok Buffs?

zdragon23c
01-17-2010, 20:05
Two questions:

1. Are you using the slide release or ¨slingshotting¨?

2. Shok Buffs?

either slide release or slingshot would choke...no shok buff.
no issues whatsoever with KimProtag.

paul45
01-18-2010, 01:08
Note the new throat configuration on the barrel on the right. Believe it or not, this new setup actually improves reliability and reduces the chances of case blowout by better supporting the case head. All current-production Colts use this new configuration, including the new Series 70 pistols. An original GI barrel is at the far left, while a normal "throated" barrel is shown in the middle for comparison.

You been posting this around the internet.....It's NOT new!!

Where you been for the last TEN years?

Narkcop
01-18-2010, 04:20
You been posting this around the internet.....It's NOT new!!

Where you been for the last TEN years?

I posted this also on 1911 forums..I would venture to guess a LOT of 1911 users don't know this. Old Crank seems to be an appropriate moniker.

mes228
01-18-2010, 05:07
I've noticed the Colt barrel throat also and have looked at several. What I have noticed is that there is great difference from pistol to pistol. Kinda looks like it's individual "opinion" on the assemblers part. Some are deep, some are shallow. Almost like they took a rat tail file and just had at it, with no rhyme or plan. I guess I'm not well versed enough to know the "why" of the variations. It just seems almost hap hazard from pistol to pistol, to a casual observer. However, if it works and is reliable I'm all for it.

paul45
01-18-2010, 07:51
I posted this also on 1911 forums..I would venture to guess a LOT of 1911 users don't know this. Old Crank seems to be an appropriate moniker.

Ha! Only when appropriate. :cool: