Removing and Reinstalling Optics - Accuracy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Removing and Reinstalling Optics - Accuracy

Toyman
01-17-2010, 07:28
Let's talk about removing and reinstalling optics as it applies to accuracy.

Provided it was originally installed correctly and sighted in, if you remove an optic such as a red-dot or scope from a rail and re-install it in the same location, does it typically stay on target or pretty close?

I'm primarily thinking of ranges of 100 yards or less.

Sol
01-17-2010, 10:01
Let's talk about removing and reinstalling optics as it applies to accuracy.

Provided it was originally installed correctly and sighted in, if you remove an optic such as a red-dot or scope from a rail and re-install it in the same location, does it typically stay on target or pretty close?

I'm primarily thinking of ranges of 100 yards or less.

My EOTech does, and why wouldn't they be expected to if placed back precisely? Now on the true red dots, where paralax is an issue, I'd be more concerned, but even then it's an easy fix as long as you've not damaged the sight/scope in the process.

internal
01-17-2010, 10:25
I would assume that even the best mounts would be off one or two clicks after removing and re-installing.

I could be wrong though.

BlutoBlutarsky
01-17-2010, 17:00
I take my red dot off and put back on every trip to the range. Mine is mounted in a Larue QD LT-150 and I've never had to reset it.

Kentak
01-18-2010, 01:53
If the sight is on a monolithic mount which is properly attached to the rail at the same location, it should be spot on, especially at 100 yds or less. Now, if you insist on knocking the wings off a gnat or for Olympic competition, maybe not. More than good enough for combat or range fun.

You couldn't be as confident if the mount is not monolithic. By that I mean such as a typical telescopic tube sight mounted via two individual rings.

Kilroy
01-18-2010, 11:52
I have a S&B scope and a Aimpoint T1, that are used on the same Colt carbine. Not at the same time of course....:whistling:

They retain their zero, every time.

The key is the quality of the mount. LaRue.

Quality and customer service define LaRue.

kgain673
01-18-2010, 12:28
get a Larue mount and you don't have to worry about that so much.

RWBlue
01-19-2010, 10:52
You should not be able to tell the difference on the red dots.

Scopes are a different matter.
Larue mounts are accurate enough that I can remove and remount.
Others, not so much.