Speer Gold Dot 230g .45ACP opinions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Speer Gold Dot 230g .45ACP opinions?

SawgrassRaven
01-17-2010, 10:10
Hey all!

Looking at the Speer Gold Dot 230 grain for my Glock 21.

Anyone have any experience with them or opinions?

The gun serves many roles; house weapon, truck gun, some CCW.

Thanks in advance!

:wavey:

sigcalcatrant
01-17-2010, 11:01
You can't go wrong with a round that is arguably the most widely issued .45 ACP round in U.S. law enforcement. If you can fire two-hundred trouble free rounds in a row through your weapon, it's a keeper.

DRT
01-17-2010, 12:18
I'd take either the Federal 230gr +P HST or Winchester 230gr Ranger T-series over the 230gr Gold Dot due to their superior terminal ballistics.

pmj
01-17-2010, 12:31
Ammo manufacturing has come a long way over the last several years, but it's only Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. HP's for me. Gold Dot in my other calibers as well.

I did ballistic gel tests with them several years ago - glass, metal, heavy clothing, etc. and compared them against other brands.

Speer ammo has always been very consistent in my experience for performance as well as quality.

"Hits count - noise don't. Ya can't hurt 'em if ya don't hit 'em"

IndyGunFreak
01-17-2010, 12:39
Ammo manufacturing has come a long way over the last several years, but it's only Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. HP's for me. Gold Dot in my other calibers as well.

I did ballistic gel tests with them several years ago - glass, metal, heavy clothing, etc. and compared them against other brands.

Speer ammo has always been very consistent in my experience for performance as well as quality.

"Hits count - noise don't. Ya can't hurt 'em if ya don't hit 'em"

Agreed...

IGF

SawgrassRaven
01-17-2010, 13:28
Thanks for the replies fellas!

DRT- Why a +P?

Thanks!

:wavey:

DRT
01-17-2010, 14:40
+P for additional expansion reliability though not as big of a deal with HST, particularly out of a full sized weapon. I recommend that you page through some of ATK's ballistics workshop data. They make both the HST and Gold Dot.

http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx

I think you'll see why I recommend HST over Gold Dot. By the way, that's an expanded .40 180gr HST laying on top of a quarter in my avatar. My G35 is stoked with 16 of them right now. :)

PghJim
01-18-2010, 21:38
This link is for an older chart, before HST's were out, but as you can see, the CCI 230 GD is a good performer.

http://www.handloads.org/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=18&Weight=All

fredj338
01-19-2010, 09:15
I'd take either the Federal 230gr +P HST or Winchester 230gr Ranger T-series over the 230gr Gold Dot due to their superior terminal ballistics.

Any real diff has to be measured w/ calipers. Just about any of the 230grJHP out there will give you good performance The SGD is a good round as is the RGS & XTP, etc. No +P for me. All it really does is add recoil that slows your follow up shots, especially from many of the short bbl pistols some like to use them in. If you are worried about expansion in your short bbl, drop to a 185gr or 200grJHP. Your shooting will not drop off & you'll still get good performance.