EOTech vs Aimpoint [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EOTech vs Aimpoint

locknload223
01-17-2010, 12:05
I have an Aimpoint Comp M on my rifle and my buddy just picked up a rifle with an EOTech, not sure which model. Anyway, This was the first time I shouldered an EOTech and wow, I really liked it. It appeared as though my target aquisition was twice as fast and I really liked the larger window and increased light coming in the sight. I may see if he wants to trade. What do you guys think? This was just my first impression, anyone out there have experience with both? Thanks.

reaper8154
01-17-2010, 12:15
I use an Eotech because I like the reticle better. I also like Aimpoints for the battery life and the ruggedness. Choose the one you like and don't worry about it, they are both great sights.

rich52us
01-17-2010, 12:18
I have an Aimpoint Comp M on my rifle and my buddy just picked up a rifle with an EOTech, not sure which model. Anyway, This was the first time I shouldered an EOTech and wow, I really liked it. It appeared as though my target aquisition was twice as fast and I really liked the larger window and increased light coming in the sight. I may see if he wants to trade. What do you guys think? This was just my first impression, anyone out there have experience with both? Thanks.

I like the EOTech better for the reasons you stated above. The circle is quicker for me, and the 1 MOA dot gives more precision when needed.

locknload223
01-17-2010, 12:20
Well that's why I'm asking, to see if there are any important variables like battery life. As I said earlier, I didn't get which model his is but the reticle, outer ring, is fuzzy or more like a circle of lines going from inside out. Make sense? It's not a fine red reticle. Is that normal or should it be a fine circle. Maybe it was dropped? :faint:

hurley842002
01-17-2010, 12:24
I really liked it. It appeared as though my target aquisition was twice as fast and I really liked the larger window and increased light coming in the sight.

They are both really good sighting systems, and your above statement is really the only reason to choose one over the other, because YOU really liked it. I've shot with both, and I like target aquisition with the Eotech better, so thats what I own. You really can't go wrong with either one, whats the worst he can say, NO.

BigDaddyK
01-17-2010, 12:24
Well that's why I'm asking, to see if there are any important variables like battery life. As I said earlier, I didn't get which model his is but the reticle, outer ring, is fuzzy or more like a circle of lines going from inside out. Make sense? It's not a fine red reticle. Is that normal or should it be a fine circle. Maybe it was dropped? :faint:

I think if you turn the brightness down you get a finer reticle. If it's cranked up high then it starts to fuzz like that.

hurley842002
01-17-2010, 12:27

If you need ALOT of battery life for your application then maybe the Aimpoint is for you, however I can't think of many civilian applications where an Eotech wouldn't suffice. Even then, its a matter of remembering to turn off your Eotech when you aren't using it.

locknload223
01-17-2010, 12:48
No I guess battery life isn't a huge deal as I usually turn things off when I'm finished. I'll see if he wants my aimpoint.

akgunnut
01-17-2010, 13:18
I was looking to get an Aimpoint but I didn't feel like dishing out the extra funds for the mount which is sold separately. I ended up with the EOtech 512 and I am pleased with it. I have shot an AR equipped with an Aimpoint and they are excellent red dots. The only problem I see with the Aimpoint is that when you look down the sight you get tunnel vision due to the shape of the optic. With the EOtech your field of vision is much greater so its easier and faster to engage other targets. I do like Aimpoints for their incredible battery life!

Maybe I will buy an Aimpoint later down the road but for now EOtech rules!

ronin.45
01-17-2010, 13:19
I prefer the single crisper dot of the aimpoint. The battery life is a bonus.
The Eotech is a good sight and is more affordable for many people.

Zombie Steve
01-17-2010, 13:41

Stop staring at the reticle and focus on your target. The reticle won't be fuzzy.

ssfeldjager
01-17-2010, 14:14
EoTech.

raven11
01-17-2010, 14:31
EoTech.
+1 on Eotech

kgain673
01-17-2010, 14:41
get what you want, you will be happier in the end. I like the aimpoints for me. The dot is crisp even though I have some eye problems, and the batteries can be left on while not is use for years. You can close up the caps and protect the lenses from rain and muck as well. I disagree with the tunnel vision comment, if you properly shoulder the firearm the same as you would if you did not have a red dot on the rifle you will be fine, these sights are meant to be used with both eyes open of course.

PlasticGuy
01-17-2010, 16:16
I like the EoTech reticle, but my EoTech had a defect that caused it to drain the battery slowly even when turned off. You see a lot of other posts about that on AR15.com and other forums. They are also known for shutting themselves off when struck hard enough, because the battery can bounce off the connection. Of course, they also have much less battery life.

We beat the crap out of our Aimpoints at work and never have a problem with them. We just change the battery once per year during the rifle's annual check-up. I've switched to Aimpoints on my personal rifles now also. I miss the EoTech reticle, but I trust the Aimpoint more.

raven11
01-17-2010, 16:33
I like the EoTech reticle, but my EoTech had a defect that caused it to drain the battery slowly even when turned off. You see a lot of other posts about that on AR15.com and other forums. They are also known for shutting themselves off when struck hard enough, because the battery can bounce off the connection. Of course, they also have much less battery life.

We beat the crap out of our Aimpoints at work and never have a problem with them. We just change the battery once per year during the rifle's annual check-up. I've switched to Aimpoints on my personal rifles now also. I miss the EoTech reticle, but I trust the Aimpoint more.

did you try lithium batteries?

HogGlocker
01-17-2010, 17:19
I have lots of experience with an Aimpoint Comp ML2...Aimpoint makes very good stuff. I have also extensively used a Trijicon Reflex II ACOG.....H3 powered, small and durable. Not for everyone but I have had mine for about ten years and it rocks.

I am pricing around on an Eotech 512 right now.

NeverMore1701
01-17-2010, 17:59
I prefer the EOTech, and think the XPS is the only way to go. Same battery as most weaponlights, sideways mount so recoil can't futz any connections, and small size light weight.

furioso2112
01-17-2010, 18:31
EoTech is making different reticles now - you can choose to have the outer ring and dot, or just the dot, and even two dots (drop compensator). The EoTech is a 1 MOA dot, and the AimPoint is 2 - I would like an even smaller dot - it gets pretty big at 100 yards. I also prefer the EoTech's lower profile. I have the 2xAA model with ring and dot (had it for a couple years) - the battery life has never been a problem. I think the F revision was when they solved the battery drain issue. IIRC, they are rated for 800 hours or something - and I seem to recall that they turn off automatically at some point...not sure how long - 20 min., maybe 30? The dot gets fuzzier the more you crank it up (brightness) as stated previously. The brighter the light I am in, the more I have to crank it up to notice the fuzz, i.e.: if I turn it on in my basement in the dark, 1/2 way to full brightness might start to seem fuzzy, but if I take it outside on a sunny day, 1/2 way to full bright is not fuzzy at all.

I have been thinking about Aimpoints due to their higher reputation for sturdiness (although I have read several reports aobut the EoTech's sturdiness during rough use). I started looking today, and got to LaRue's website - they have great mounts, and their package with the CompM4 and QD mount seems to be the best price going.

For my EoTech, I bought a GGG QD mount (before I knew about LaRue, otherwise I would have bought theirs). It is a very decent mount, but I imagine side by side, LaRue would be clearly more sturdy. I do like the fact that I can mount the EoTech right on top of my rail - it keeps the low profile that I like - the Aimpoint seem too...'periscop-ish' if you know what I mean. Watch for EoTech's to come down in price soon - they just ran a big rebate promotion, so I wonder if they are about to release new options/models/pricing. Optics Planet and ****** have great prices - OP includes a neoprene cover and free shipping (for a long time they did, anyway - not sure if they still are). ****** - well...I have always had on time delivery, but lots of complaints about them btween a year and two years ago for charging upon purchase, then long waits until they got items in stock and sent them out. They will tell you if they have it in stock if you call them or use their online chat deal.

I have really liked the EoTech overall - no problems at all. I have not abused it all, tough, so its toughness is for others to recommend.

Oh - I also recently bought the GGG flip-up cover (its a front-rear one-piece 'set') - pretty chinsy for $40, but the best thing I have found. I never really trusted the neoprene cover - had to watch out for it every time I used it, and usually took it off and left it in the case while using the gun. Since the gun is in a safe or case when the cover is on, it's not really much protection. The flip-cover is a thoughtful design (front cover flips up and gives a bit of a sunshade, rear cover flips over on top of the sight). ****** sells them too, I never really looked anywhere else for them (it was an add-on-to-save-shipping/always-kind-of-wanted-to-try-one-so-might-as-well-get-it deal).

I chose the AA model because when supplies are short, AA's are likely to be easier to find than lots of other batteries, and have a long shelf life. Also, there are LOTS of accessories that carry AA's - front grips, pistol grips, stocks - so it is easy, depending on your equipment, to carry spares. Not that I want to be changing batteries when I need to be on target, but it was part of my decision-making process.

I do not own and have never used an AimPoint.

Remington700VS
01-17-2010, 18:33
Get one of each : D

mvician
01-17-2010, 18:59
Have had 3 EOTechs............not anymore.

RMTactical
01-17-2010, 19:15
I like pretty much everything about the Aimpoint better.

Eotechs are good optics though.

Kilroy
01-18-2010, 11:07
My Aimpoint T1 went 18 months with the battery in and sight left on. A T&E Aimpoint M4 did the same thing. Sales of the Aimpoint to DOD speak for themselves.

I've found EOTech Customer service lacking.

Daekwan
01-18-2010, 11:35
I prefer the EOTech, and think the XPS is the only way to go. Same battery as most weaponlights, sideways mount so recoil can't futz any connections, and small size light weight.

100% agreed.. love my XPS!!

Tomac
01-19-2010, 11:59
I've owned/used both. I prefer the Eotech's circle-dot reticle as it's faster to acquire when shooting from unconventional positions w/poor eye alignment and the bottom of the circle is a great aiming point when shooting at very close ranges.
With that being said, Aimpoints have it hands-down for ruggedness, reliability & battery life (an AA Eotech w/2 lithiums is supposedly good for appx 1,100 hrs whereas the Aimpoint CompM4 w/1 lithium is supposedly good for 80,000 hrs) so the Aimpoint can be left on 24/7 if desired but the Eotech has a 4 or 8hr auto-shutoff feature.
There have been many more reported problems w/Eotechs (draining batteries when turned off, recoil-induced unit shutdown from battery contact compression over time and an unsual electronics glitch requiring battery removal for several hours to "reset" the electronics before the unit will turn on again, luck of the draw?) than Aimpoints although both have been used successfully in combat for years.
If I had to choose another Eotech it would be the 517 for its AA battery use, side control buttons & stronger/better designed mounting bolt.
If Aimpoint my fav is the CompM4, arguably the most rugged Aimpoint to date.
However, I prefer the Trijicon RX30 for my needs as IMHO it's the best KISS optic currently available, here's my review w/reticle pics: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=292552
Tomac
Two STG-556's, one w/an Eotech 517 & the other w/the RX30:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofRX30Eotech517001.jpg

MADBMW
01-19-2010, 14:56
I have an Eo on my work carbine (by dept. mandate) and an Aimpoint M4 on my personal rifle. The revision F Eo's are far better than the originals as far a durabillity goes. We had a huge mass of Eo's go down just from normal range use, mainly battery box connectio problems, but a few broken windows as well. I have never seen an Aimpoint go down, and as far as battery life is concerned, the best Eo has about 1100 hours of battery life, the worst Aimpoint has 10,000. That makes it an easy decision for me, Aimpoint all the way. I do think the Eo is a good optic, and don't mind using it on my duty gun one bit, but given the choice I would pick Aimpoint every time.

High Altitude
01-19-2010, 15:48
I personally prefer the aimpoints.

Ruggedness and battery life. Very important when in actual use.

Doesn't matter how much better the sight picture is if the optic doesn't work.

DevilDoc224
01-19-2010, 16:17
+1 for the Eotech.

conpro
01-19-2010, 17:15
Aimpoint for me. I like the dot. Just place the dot and shoot. The eotech has tooooooo much clutter and takes longer to pUt the point of aim on target, and also after so long the eotech goes off and if your in the middle of shooting and it goes off your SOL. Also the battery life is better with the aimpoint 5 years, i had a eotech and hated it. Just my opinion.

HogGlocker
01-19-2010, 19:09
Only Aimpoint I ever had personally was the CompML2...........very excellent sight.....

My only problem with most Aimpoints I've seen is like another user mentioned....periscope-ish.....they all sit too high on the upper receiver due to he nature of their design.......I like the fact that the Eotech follows the receiver rail plane better.....

Does anyone make a ultra low mount for the Aimpoints?

m814
01-20-2010, 05:45
I did a T & E with M2 and XPS. The Aimpoint is a very rugged sight. For me, and most people I know and shoot with, the Eotech is quicker to pick up on CQB, and still has the refinement for precise long distance shots with the 1MOA center dot. The 65 MOA circle acts like the "ghost sight" and the human eye naturally centers the target inside the circle. It is very fast for most people to pick up. The Aimpoint has a 2 or 4 MOA dot that is a little slower to pick up. If battery life is a huge factor for you, and changing batteries every 500 hours of use is just too complicated for you to do, get the Aimpoint because I can't help you. It really comes down to what reticle you like. For me and most people I shoot with and train with, the Eotech reticle is best.

As far as all of the "problems" with Eotechs, they are like an old rumor that just won't die. Yes, some eras of Eotechs were prone to problems, mostly their lower end models. The contacts were prone to breakage in heavy use, and caused some unacceptable problems. They have all been fixed, and with the XPS line, you get a transverse mounted 123 battery in a well designed battery compt, smaller size, lighter weight, better battery life (avg600-800 hours), and a choice of reticles. It is a really nice sight.
I don't consider the Aimpoint a bad sight, mind you, just a personal preference. For me, I can change batteries every 500 or so hours.
Chris

biglaake
01-20-2010, 07:45
Where I work we have Eotechs on our patrol rifles. We had to send everyone of them back due to batteries dying quickly, these are only turned on once to check function and then turned off. We also had problems of the batteries bouncing off the contacts, hence why Eotech changed the way the batteries are placed on newer models. The Eotech reticle is a good one it works very well, but if you have astigmatism the circle will appear fuzzy or pixilated. After we got our Eotechs back from the factory from being rebuilt we have had no problems.

For me on my personal rifle I have and Aimpoint ML3, I have found I am just as fast with that compared to the Eotech. I also prefer the longer battery life and no problems with the battery contacts. If you look around prices for either sight is pretty comparable, especially if you don't need night vision capability.

Overall both sights work and work well, If I was to pick up a new Eotech it would be their newer model that uses the CR123 batteries, the way the battery is placed takes care of any contact problems plus makes the sight much smaller.

vantage
01-20-2010, 09:56
I've been using an EOTech on my rifle for about a year and have loved it. It has the new style battery contacts and I've never had a bit of trouble.

I've recently ordered an Aimpoint H-1 and am eager to try it out as well.

Without yet field testing the H-1, here are my impressions so far:
- it's lighter;
- it feels rugged, but I'm not yet confident that the small screw tightening the mount to the rails will hold zero;
- it's small - maybe a little too small, when looking through the scope I'm worried that I'll miss the large EOTech window;
- that single dot takes a bit longer to find, as it's sometimes lurking on the periphery of my view - increasing the brightness helps a lot but also makes it appear much larger - I'm hoping practice and use will help me keep the dot centered; and
- it's easier to operate, the on/off/adjustment wheel is much faster to use than EOTech's buttons.

I'm still excited to start trying out the Aimpoint, but after having been impressed with EOTech I'm beginning slightly skeptical that I may end up selling the H-1 for an XPS.

duncan
01-20-2010, 14:39
Like my Aimpoint clones for under $100 a unit but for my zombie rifle, it sports an EOTECH Xps for a great FOV. and it mounts direct to the flattop.

glock22357
01-20-2010, 14:44
I have an F revision 552 on my S&W M&P15T and love it.

When my eyes are dry the reticle seems more pixilated, but it's still awesome for both close and long range (for a non-magnified optic.)

CrazyFeet
01-20-2010, 15:06
both are great but I have an Aimpoint.

Alaskapopo
01-20-2010, 15:06
The Aimpoint Comp M only has a battery life of 300 hours. Its the first generation. It will still be more rugged and reliable than the Eotech. I would say neither. Ditch the Comp M and get a T1.
Pat

Wyoming
02-05-2010, 19:51
Have had 3 EOTechs............not anymore.

What did you replace them with and why?