Elbow/Knee pads. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Elbow/Knee pads.

Sweet17
01-17-2010, 12:47
What are your thoughts on elbow and knee pads for training? I have been loking at Blackhawk, but they are a little on the pricey side. Whats the poop on pads?

Sam Spade
01-17-2010, 13:05
Depends on the training. Miss a couple of relays in the class or a day of work because you slammed your knee onto a rock, and the pads start to look real attractive.

No need for the operator gear if you're not going to operate (or at least train repeatedly). Look at the pads used in skateboarding. If you're really not worried about the gossip, look at what tile-layers are wearing. They run about $15. A coat of Krylon flat-black and you're tactical. :cool:

Personally, I use Hatch knee pads, the soft shell variety. I don't like wobbling when I'm kneeling on a rock. About $25, and I've had the same set for years.

Sweet17
01-17-2010, 16:17
I was curious about the Hatch pads. Makes sense to me not to be wobbling around on a rock. The price isn't bad either. I was looking at them on OMB's site. Sounds like they are durable to boot.

Gallium
01-18-2010, 06:59
I got some years ago for when I was pulling data cabling (Home Depot), these are what I use. My mantra is function over form (looks), so whatever works for me is what I run 7 gun with.

'Drew

Marine8541
01-18-2010, 08:05
I'm of the school of thought that I don't want to wear anything in training that I might not be wearing when I'm walking around on a daily basis. That being said I don't think wearing pads during training will create any significant difference in action should you have to defend yourself.

Sam Spade
01-18-2010, 11:32
I'm of the school of thought that I don't want to wear anything in training that I might not be wearing when I'm walking around on a daily basis.

Me, too. That said, there's a difference between slamming yourself onto the concrete once when the adrenaline is flowing, and doing it for 10 hours of class.

Oh, and I wear ear protection in class, too. :supergrin:

(I know we're in agreement, just having some fun here.)

David Armstrong
01-18-2010, 12:01
To echo Sam, back in 1993 I bought a pair of kneepads and elbow pads made for skateboarding and they are still going strong. Not the prettiest or most high tech looking things but they have done a great job over the years.

A6Gator
01-18-2010, 12:12
Depends on the training. Miss a couple of relays in the class or a day of work because you slammed your knee onto a rock, and the pads start to look real attractive.

Or some spent brass when you take a knee on an outdoor grass range...it's a memorable event...:rofl:

David Armstrong
01-18-2010, 12:32
IIRC, at one time a major PD (NYPD??) was recommending officers not utilize the kneeling position due to the number of knee injuries that had occurred.

PhoneCop
01-19-2010, 18:29
Whenever I was in the field or training in the Military or LE, I wore knew pads under my uniform. If you have Osgood-Slaughters you know why...
:okie:

luckyrxc
01-19-2010, 18:56
When I went to Thunder Ranch, all the students brought knee and elbow pads. We never used the elbow pads and if I recall correctly the only time we put on knee pads was at the end of the day to pick up brass. :rofl: