Shooting on the move training [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on the move training

Wash-ar15
01-17-2010, 19:15
My static shooting in IDPA seems to be ok. the most difficulty i ahve is shooting on the move.

Any tips on how to get better at shooting on the move? I been told to take the shot as soon as a foot steps down. is this the best way??

Ed Deegan
01-17-2010, 19:46
You can improve by reviewing Ben Stoeger's Dry Fire thread. He has a df program dedicated to shooting on the move. When you df, call your shots and be honest. If they arent good, keep working on it.

Also try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjxiCxL3bYA Max Michel breaks it down nicely.

Then video yourself and post it on youtube. Others will post their helpful comments.

Couple of important things. Knees and elbows bent, they are great shock absorbers. Heel toe moving forward, toe heel moving backward. Know the ground you are moving on. Disturb the gun as little as possible.

Flexmoney
01-17-2010, 21:29
Get low and take individual shots.

DustyDawg48
01-17-2010, 21:43
+1 to get low and also to knees and elbows bent, heel and toe it. Practice this at home like you would a dry fire exercise. Wife or neighbors may think you're crazy, but it's how I got better at it!

I know you could probably google search any pro shooter and they'll have something on shooting while moving. Just practice!

bisdak
01-17-2010, 21:57
Did you do the IDPA match yesterday at Renton?

PEC-Memphis
01-17-2010, 23:13
Go here:

Blackhawk Shooting Tips with Todd Jarrett: How to Shoot on the Move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zYvMpTeqI&feature=PlayList&p=CFE1DDD104D73F31&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9

Wash-ar15
01-18-2010, 10:42
Did you do the IDPA match yesterday at Renton?

Yes I did and screwed up all the shooting on the move stuff.lol

furioso2112
01-18-2010, 10:46
I know reviews have been posted here about them, but saw yesterday a laser device for dry-fire practice (Optics Planet is where I saw it, they are widely available, though, I think). It is similar to a laser-bore sighter, but when you pull the trigger, it sets off a short laser beam to indicate where your shot would likely have gone. It can apparently be used with snap-caps. If used with the trigger-reset deal (is it Glockmeister that sells them), you wouldn't have to rack after every shot...hmmm, now that I have thought of that, that seems like a good idea...new purchases coming my way, I think.

ducati
01-18-2010, 11:36
One thing I like to do is get a bottle of water, hold the bottle out like my gun and practice moviing while keeping the water level in the bottle. This helps for when your not able to get to range.

dsmw5142
01-18-2010, 14:32
One thing I like to do is get a bottle of water, hold the bottle out like my gun and practice moviing while keeping the water level in the bottle. This helps for when your not able to get to range.

Beat me to it! half bottle of water works nicely when practicing your groucho walk.