G-20 lone wolf barrel problem. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G-20 lone wolf barrel problem.

jlmomaha
01-17-2010, 18:23
Hello, I have been a member here for a while, I am a SBO in Omaha Ne and opened an account with LWD, I placed some orders for my G-20 as I believe in testing the products I sell. I have a machining background and am a gunsmith, here is a list of issues with LWD.
I ordered a 6" barrel, the chamber edges were un-broke and so sharp that they cut into the brass cases and would not feed.
the larger oval LWD mag release was impossible for me to put in.
I call my LWD Dist and tell him, he says he will ask the big guy about it. I hear nothing for a couple weeks, finally I call him back and say ok can I stone the chamber mouth edges and see if that will work or will that void my warranty, he says go ahead, and that he will get back to me about that mag release. Another week goes by, I send an E-mail letting him know that the barrel is not working properly. Another 2-1/2 weeks go by then I get an e-mail saying “hey you need to go have a gunsmith work on that for you“...
I could not believe it, I thanked him for his time and that was the last time I e-mailed or called him, I was so disappointed.. I am posting this here because this problem pertains to products bought and used on my G-20, and I wanted to share this with other owners of this excellent weapon..
If you have had this problem please let me know what ever came of it..

527varmint
01-17-2010, 20:57
LW quality control is not the best these days. Should contact LW directly by phone they would probably resolve it with a new barrel right away.

I only really have one thing to say.... KKM

jlmomaha
01-17-2010, 21:46
lol.. I delt directly with LWD thats why this is such a tragedy there was no middle man to blame..lol

leadslinger13
01-17-2010, 22:01
I had a similar experience when i was trying to buy a g 20 barrel without the logo. This about 1 year ago. I kept getting the response they would be a couple of weeks. I kept emailing and calling in and kept getting the same answer. They were polite. Finally canceled my order after several months of waiting. I purchase a storm lake barrel now i have a KKm 40 conversion.

I have to think they are overwhelmed with their ever growing business. I still will probably get the long slide when i am ready as they are the only game in town.

I would hope that they would keep up with their customer service.

JR
01-18-2010, 16:53
I just received a link to this thread. I am attending SHOT Show in Las Vegas. Unfortunately I will not be able to do anything about this complaint until my return. I ask that you email me direct (lonewolf@lonewolfdist.com) at that time so I can look into this problem and resolve it ASAP. If you are dissatisfied with the product and tired of waiting I highly recommend you return it for a complete refund. Just include a copy of this note and I will see to it you get the refund immediately.

hill billy
01-20-2010, 10:56

hill billy
01-20-2010, 10:59

PBRLite
01-20-2010, 18:29
Have been more than pleased with Lonewolf, can't say the same about TopGlock.

jlmomaha
01-20-2010, 18:59
I am sure the probablem I had is a rarety, I will post updates as to what transpires, but I am sure the problem will be resolved.

527varmint
01-21-2010, 13:50
If the problems get up to JR then it will probably be resolved.

okent
01-22-2010, 15:06
JR posting here with a solution is just good business.
Not every company does this.

LWD Armorer
01-25-2010, 13:49
Jlmomaha,
You said “the larger oval LWD mag release was impossible for me to put in.”

Is this the one you purchased?
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=932

You do understand you need to remove material from your lower receiver in order for the mag catch to fit?
That is why under product info it says “Prices quoted are for the magazine release only, installation is not included. Use the LWD-AT3 Magazine Release Cutting Tool for installation or send us your frame and $30.00 (includes return shipping). Same day turn around for all magazine release modifications! Fits All 10mm and 45 ACP only (except G36) . Intended for use in G20,21,29,30”

jlmomaha
01-25-2010, 15:39
OK dont know how long you have been with LWD, but at the time I purchased my products all those cool tools and side notes werent there, at least I never saw them. The guy over there that was my distributor never informed me of this issue with the oval release, so apparently he knew not of this either being that when I called and asked him about this issue he didnt know what to tell me, and offered no tools or in shop work, they must not of had it back then. There are alot of new things up on that web site that was not there when I was dealing with them, so I understand the confusion some of the new guys are having. Their web site has changed considerably since back then, so although I am appreciative of the advice, please understand I am not a rookie, and that I deal with many companies, and lots of firearm equipment, and am a SBO in Omaha Ne doing this very thing..

The reason for my post was to inform others and see if they too had similar issues.

Thank you for your input though, it is apreciated..

LWD Armorer
01-25-2010, 17:20
Jlmomaha,

Been here since 1998.

Before we started to offer the Round Magazine Catch, we (we.. meaning, JR our Machinist, and I) designed the LWD Mag Release Cutting Tool. I personally took the photos and put them on our web site all at the same time. (Sorry you could not find the tool)

It would mean a lot to me if you could provide an order number. I want to know who the distributor is that can not remember to mention the design, how it works, and what tools/modification you would need in order to install our Round Magazine Catch. (They will be made fun of and reminded for at least a month)

If you still like the design of the Round Magazine Catch and want to use it please send in your lower. UPS 3 day select should not be more then $25.00. I will install and return your lower at no charge and ASAP. I hope this will help resolve the issue with the Round Mag Catch and the absent minded distributor.

Hunter1000
01-25-2010, 17:54
I ordered a LWD 6" barrel for my G20 and it has worked great. I reload and run some pretty hot rounds and it has kept the brass in good condition. I also received it in 3 days which I thought was excellant.

jlmomaha
01-25-2010, 22:12
I believe you are the Dan he referred too, if your the armorer he was talking about named dan and said that he forwarded my emails to you?.. I would rather not have the guy made fun of or disgraced, I wouldnt want an employee going postal on my conscience, and he was a friendly enough guy, so I would like to avoid disclosing his name. As far as the mag release I have gone another route, but appreciate your advice.. Also I have mailed that barrel back at the request of JR, could you answer for me, do all the chamber mouthes have the sharp edges? or was that a fluke? also I would like to have a replacement barrel, and if you guys do send one would you please first try it out in wone of your guys's g-20's?
Thank you very much for any advice, insight and help in this matter..

jlmomaha
01-31-2010, 15:08
I mailed that barrel back, and sent 2 msgs to JR, have not got a reply yet but I understand how busy it can be, I think I will perhaps make a phone call to dan since his ext and # are up, and I will keep every one posted both here and on my other groups as to what happens..

Thank you
Jerry..

LWD Armorer
02-01-2010, 15:16
Jerry,
Your barrel came in on Friday. This is the first time I have had a chance to look at it. When you first started the GT post you said “I ordered a 6" barrel, the chamber edges were un-broke and so sharp that they cut into the brass cases and would not feed.” I can not duplicate these problems. The barrel is feeding and extracting fine, also no markings on the live or spent rounds.

Before returning the barrel were you still having these problems? Or,were these problems resolved when you made the modification to the feed ramp and chamber of the barrel?

Here are some photos of your barrel (left side) next to a brand new LWD-20L10 barrel (right side)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/glockm_35/Jerrysbarrel-1.jpg

If you want; I will try my best to smooth out the cut lines on the feed ramp and chamber before returning the barrel to you.

I have posted a link to a video. Below are the live and spent rounds from the video. I know in the photos you can not see much but trust me, in every photo I am rotating the rounds and moving them so you can see every part of the spent and live rounds. The only identifying marks are the normal feeding/extracting/ejecting marks you would get from any other gun/barrel manufacture. Nothing was cut or out of the ordinary.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/glockm_35/SpentRounds.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/glockm_35/liverounds.jpg

Here is the link to the video:
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/glockm_35/?action=view&current=jerrysbarrel.flv

What would you like to do to resolve this issue?

leadslinger13
02-01-2010, 16:40
now that was cool. doing a video of the barrel and its performance.

Hey I notice on youre link you have pictures of the glock lowers. I have yet to see them come out on the online store front. When are they going to be available, price point, any for the 20?

jlmomaha
02-01-2010, 18:03
Dan,your the man..lol
that was awesome, yes i did stone it a little more after the last firing when i had the issues, it seems as though it may have helped, if you want to polish it up a smidge I would be greatful, if I may ask, would you happen to have the oal of that cartridge so I can compare it to the ones I shot I tried 2 different ones, and wonder if that may have contributed to the issues.
again that is really kind of you to do such a comprehensive work up, wonder if the ones I used where long and pushed against the ramp upon chambering? I am at a loss at this point, proceed as you see fit, I have complete faith in your decisions..

again thank you
Jerry..

kgpcr
02-01-2010, 21:19
That is damn good customer service!!

LWD Armorer
02-02-2010, 11:15
Jerry,
Working on it now… will have measurements of the rounds and photos of the work I am doing to your feed ramp and chamber later tonight.

LWD Armorer
02-02-2010, 15:25
Jerry,
The feed ramp and chamber came out better then I thought it would. The lines on the feed ramp were not as deep as I thought. The polishing is a nice touch to the feeding and reliability of the barrel.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/glockm_35/Jerrysbarrelafter.jpg

In the video, I was shooting Blazer (red box) 200gr. Ammunition. Since then, I have also dropped in two different types of Double Tap Ammo, one in 135gr and the other in 200gr.

AOL measurements are:
Blazer 200gr. = 1.25”
Double Tap 135gr = 1.2425”
Double Tap 200gr = 1.2425”

Are you using factory ammo? If they are reloads, you might be having some OD problems as well. All of these rounds listed above measure at 0.4205 from front (crimp of the bullet) to back (just in front of the primer). The inside of your chamber is .4265”

LEADSLINGER13,
Timber Wolf lowers should be out before the end of Feb. The Machinist and I have been out having some fun. They are not the best videos in the world, but it gets the ball rollen. Here you go!

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/glockm_35/?action=view&current=LWDFrame22slide9mmconversionbarrel.flv

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/glockm_35/?action=view&current=LWDFrame24slidesuppressed.flv

Glock_XXI
02-03-2010, 15:33
WOW! Now that is some customer service!

I have never had a problem with any of my LW bbls, but it is nice to know that if I do I will be taken care of.

I too am looking forward to the new lowers.

jlmomaha
02-04-2010, 17:11
DAN YOU ARE THE MAN..lol really I greatly appreciate you doing this for me, and yes I would have to say that out of all the places I have delt with, you doing this puts you over the top!! I hope this serves as an example to people that are considering purchasing your equipment, you guys are great..
Again thank you..

Oh by the way the oal on the ones I shot where 1.125 +/- .0005

glocknick
02-04-2010, 18:01
wow i think you guys sold me on your barrels. i was looking at one for my 26 for a suppressor but after i see the quality of your customer service i should get one for my 29 as well.

Archer-one
02-05-2010, 15:51
Yep, top notch company. I love the company so much, I got JR to give me a job! :supergrin:

SimonovsDog
02-05-2010, 20:50
I bought a LW 6in 10mm barrel from LWD, and a Std length LW 9x25 Dillon barrel from DoubleTapAmmo. Both barrels work fine now, but I had a slight issue with the 9x25 Dillon set-up. I don't know if it was the ammo, or the barrel. The very first round I chambered stuck (147gr HP from DT). I could not pull the slide back no matter how hard I pulled. I took a chance and fired the stuck round. It ejected fine, and the problem has never reoccured. I think what happened was the bullet crimp was too tight and the case rim actually stuck in the barrel throat. I have shot many more rounds since, with no issues. I have had zero issues with the 6in barrel. All in all I am happy with both my LW barrels.

DWS22
02-06-2010, 15:42
DAN YOU ARE THE MAN..lol really I greatly appreciate you doing this for me, and yes I would have to say that out of all the places I have delt with, you doing this puts you over the top!! I hope this serves as an example to people that are considering purchasing your equipment, you guys are great..
Again thank you..

Oh by the way the oal on the ones I shot where 1.125 +/- .0005

J,glad your problems are fixed and yes, they have some great customer service....But, my question is,,,where is/was the quality control???I seem to read numerous issues with LW barrels...feeding etc...Their prices are most reasonable(barrels)...with the problems/aggravation/time you went through,maybe there would be another choice??? I'm curious as to the "country of origin".......thanks and have a "Happy Super Bowl 2010":wavey:

jlmomaha
02-06-2010, 18:36
First I am a SBO I am no where as "big" as LWD, that being said I deal with many different companies for different things since I mostly buy parts only as needed per requests of my customers, and everyone of them at one point or another has had an issue, now factoring in what I assume would be a large volume of product sales, I dont think there track record is that bad.
What we must remember and consider is the customer service, and as we can all see it is amazing, Dan took it upon himself to see to it that I was treated right, and even called me to go over what I wanted done, not here are your options or we can do this or that, it was about what he could do for me, and what needed to be done to satisfy me!!

What can you say to something like that? Well I will tell you, buy with confidence because if there is an issue with something they are there for you, and will work hard to help you. As a SBO I will have no problems what so ever recommending them to my customers, and the events that have happened here should only serve to assure you that this is a fine and reputable company that has your concerns in mind and will be there anytime there may be an issue.

DWS22
02-06-2010, 21:57
Hello, I have been a member here for a while, I am a SBO in Omaha Ne and opened an account with LWD, I placed some orders for my G-20 as I believe in testing the products I sell. I have a machining background and am a gunsmith, here is a list of issues with LWD.
I ordered a 6" barrel, the chamber edges were un-broke and so sharp that they cut into the brass cases and would not feed.
the larger oval LWD mag release was impossible for me to put in.
I call my LWD Dist and tell him, he says he will ask the big guy about it. I hear nothing for a couple weeks, finally I call him back and say ok can I stone the chamber mouth edges and see if that will work or will that void my warranty, he says go ahead, and that he will get back to me about that mag release. Another week goes by, I send an E-mail letting him know that the barrel is not working properly. Another 2-1/2 weeks go by then I get an e-mail saying “hey you need to go have a gunsmith work on that for you“...
I could not believe it, I thanked him for his time and that was the last time I e-mailed or called him, I was so disappointed.. I am posting this here because this problem pertains to products bought and used on my G-20, and I wanted to share this with other owners of this excellent weapon..
If you have had this problem please let me know what ever came of it..

J,, You got excellent customer service "only" after going public(Glock Talk)...In your OP you seem to be "exasperated" at their response...Again, you got great customer service only after posting here on Glock Talk...Originally,you got nowhere with them... I am still curious as to the "country of origin" of the barrel?? :wavey:

jlmomaha
02-06-2010, 22:19
OK, I am going to do something un heard of nowadays, in the times of spreading the blame, and it is everybody elses fault but mine. I am going to blame my-self at least in part, I could of persued what I needed harder, but I didnt.
What I like is as soon as Dan and JR saw that I was having an issue, they took care of me, that being said I feel comfortable with the resolution of events, and feel that had I droped an E-mail to either Dan or JR it would of been handled equally as fair.

Far as where the barrels come from, I have heard, I think 3 different places, dont know if any of them are accurate or true, so I would not want to propagate any falacies.

JR
02-06-2010, 23:14
Unfortunately I do not have the time to cruse around the thousands of web pages looking to resolve complaints. Fortunately I have several satisfied customers that notify me via email of issues like this when they pop up.

Posting customer service issues on this or any other board does NOT endear you to any company. There are channels in place to insure each customer complaint is resolved. Posting here on GT is NOT one of them. Truth be known, it would be the easiest way to get lost in the shuffle. DWS22 is mistaken in that this issue with this customer was resolved only because of his post. I guarantee you now, it would have been resolved in the same manner had our crew not been preoccupied with SHOT Show. Please excuse me for getting distracted with our biggest show of the year. I take LWD customer service personal and do my best to resolve any matter as quickly and painlessly as possible. Always have, always will.

Regarding the origin of our parts: We simply do not disclose this information. Consider it a trade secret. If this offends you, make your purchase elsewhere.

jlmomaha
02-07-2010, 18:31
Hey me again, I hate it when people hi jack threads with other stuff but since I started this one I think Im going to throw something in here real quick.

If you own a glock 20 and are tired of not having a real heavy weight bullet please go take a look at what I will be offering this spring.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14707116#post14707116

I am confident that we can push a 250gr bullet at 1050fps and 275gr bullet at 900fps using 800x and with a 6" barrel.

these would be excellent dangerous animal stoppers considering that in the 1800s thousands of buffalo and bears were taken with a 255gr .45 bullet going 900fps-1000fps.. thats all, again sorry.

Thank you
Jerry

Archer-one
02-18-2010, 14:16
Hey me again, I hate it when people hi jack threads with other stuff but since I started this one I think Im going to throw something in here real quick.

If you own a glock 20 and are tired of not having a real heavy weight bullet please go take a look at what I will be offering this spring.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14707116#post14707116

I am confident that we can push a 250gr bullet at 1050fps and 275gr bullet at 900fps using 800x and with a 6" barrel.

these would be excellent dangerous animal stoppers considering that in the 1800s thousands of buffalo and bears were taken with a 255gr .45 bullet going 900fps-1000fps.. thats all, again sorry.

Thank you
Jerry

Jerry, I will be looking forward to taking a look at these loads. I think Dan mentioned that he will get a chance to test them. I'll make sure to weasel some out of his hands and take a first hand look :cool:

I'm glad to see Dan got you straightened out. Since I have taken over dealer sales, anytime you have an issue feel free to give me a call at my direct extension.
Luke J.

MSgt Dotson
02-18-2010, 19:07

Using what loading data, and at what pressures? Will the load be safe in the Glock 20's factory bbl?