Did I miss anything? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss anything?

stormbind
01-17-2010, 18:34
I just placed an order for my first reloading press. I just want to make sure that I got everything that I will need. So, other than primers, powder, and brass, did I forget anything that I will need? Here is my list:

-Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423081)
-Hornady "Handbook of Cartridge Reloading: 7th Edition" Reloading Manual
-Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual
-Lyman Universal Reloading Tray 50-Round Plastic Clear-Smoke
-Lee Carbide 3-Die Set 45 ACP (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=661032)
-Hornady Bullets 45 Caliber (451 Diameter) 200 Grain Combat Target Semi-Wadcutter Box of 100 (Bulk Packaged)
-Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 45 ACP (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=880062)

Also should I get the factory crimp die (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=716704)?

GioaJack
01-17-2010, 18:48
Also should I get the factory crimp die (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=716704)?

MY GOD, don't let C4W, (Steve) know you didn't order a FCD! We'll never hear the end of it!

He has said hundreds, nay, thousands of times that a loading room without a FCD isn't a loading room... it's just a storage room for a bunch of useless stuff.

He's even gone so far as to say that everyone should own two for each caliber just in case burglars steal your primary set.

Boy I wouldn't want to be you when C4W gets wind of this loading faux pas. :supergrin:

Jack

BK63
01-17-2010, 19:12
I don't know if the seat die on that 3 die set does taper crimp. I would assume not? I have Lee factory crimp dies but for 45 prefer just a taper crimp die. The LFC has a sleeve inside that floats and sometimes, for me anyway especially with newer casings it sticks to the case. The LFC die for me helps with smaller stuff like 380 where you tend to have some abnormalities in the cases. For 45 you might want a taper crimp die.

PCJim
01-17-2010, 19:27
Stormbind, you did not indicate that you are obtaining or already have a caliper. Get one - whether it be an inexpensive digital from Harbor Freight (often on sale for appx $15) or an expensive one from who knows where. You need to be able to determine the bullet seating depth of your reloads.

As to the Lee FCD - there's a LOT of debate on whether it is needed. I personally like the assurance that the die provides, although if you set your dies up properly there really shouldn't be any need for it. It does give you the ability to seat your bullet and crimp (taper crimp only for the 45acp!) in two separate functions. That concept has a lot of merit.

Welcome to reloading!

stormbind
01-17-2010, 19:37
Ok so I am going to be placing another order and will include the LFC die. I do have a good set of calipers so no worries there. Is there anything else I should add this order?

Bob2223
01-17-2010, 20:18
Ok so I am going to be placing another order and will include the LFC die. I do have a good set of calipers so no worries there. Is there anything else I should add this order?

You dont really need the FCD :whistling:

Around here the FCD debate just opens a,,
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/can_of_worms.jpg

Bob

DustyJacket
01-17-2010, 20:27
Powder
primers
taper crimp die

snair
01-17-2010, 20:32
digital scale. primer flip tray

kcbrown
01-17-2010, 21:54
Stormbind, you did not indicate that you are obtaining or already have a caliper. Get one - whether it be an inexpensive digital from Harbor Freight (often on sale for appx $15) or an expensive one from who knows where. You need to be able to determine the bullet seating depth of your reloads.

As to the Lee FCD - there's a LOT of debate on whether it is needed. I personally like the assurance that the die provides, although if you set your dies up properly there really shouldn't be any need for it. It does give you the ability to seat your bullet and crimp (taper crimp only for the 45acp!) in two separate functions. That concept has a lot of merit.

Having done "crimping" (which, on an auto pistol case means removal of the flare) with the FCD, a separate crimp-only die, and the bullet seating die, I actually question the merit of crimping in a separate step.

Think about it: the reason you'd want to crimp separately is to ensure that the bullet isn't still in the process of being seated when the crimp occurs, because if it is then the crimp will force the case wall into the bullet and will therefore score the bullet since the bullet is still being pressed into place.

But if you're just removing the flare, that's not an issue at all: the proper crimp will have the case wall just barely missing the side of the bullet.

If the Lee .45 dies are anything like their 9mm and .40 dies, the seating die will also crimp (which means, here, removing the flare). This has worked out just fine for me in 9mm. I do a separate crimp step in .40 since I have the station for it on my Dillon 650 and I may as well do something there (I don't use the FCD for that because .40 S&W is possibly the most dimensionally critical pistol cartridge to reload for and is not tapered -- and I want to maintain the maximum amount of case tension on the bullet I can get to prevent setback).

robin303
01-17-2010, 23:29
This will come in handy. Works great if you boo boo.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=851547
Don't forget the collet for your caliber.

Patrick Graham
01-18-2010, 07:04

Sure.

As long as you use it with .451 45acp bullets it will work as good as any other taper crimp.

unclebob
01-18-2010, 07:30
Since you are loading on a single stage press a couple of these well help out.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=368157

Personally I would get a different good powder scale.

Colorado4Wheel
01-18-2010, 08:00
I don't know if the seat die on that 3 die set does taper crimp. I would assume not? I have Lee factory crimp dies but for 45 prefer just a taper crimp die. The LFC has a sleeve inside that floats and sometimes, for me anyway especially with newer casings it sticks to the case. The LFC die for me helps with smaller stuff like 380 where you tend to have some abnormalities in the cases. For 45 you might want a taper crimp die.

The seating die from Lee has a Roll Crimp built into it. Just like most seating dies. If you do like most people here and just use the die to remove the bell then both the Taper Crimp die and Roll crimp die do exactly the same thing. It's once you go past the point of removing the bell into the range of a actual crimp that the roll crimp and taper crimp are going to behave very different. I say use what you got on the single stage. If you decide to use a Taper Crimp (or heaven forbid the Lee FCD) you add a step and on a single stage thats a lot of extra effort for no real gain. Set the seat/crimp die up right. I'm sure Gio can help you with that one. I use a taper crimp die. It's on a progressive so it adds no extra steps.

IndyGunFreak
01-18-2010, 08:22
digital scale. primer flip tray

He won't eed a flip tray on the Lee... The Lee primer feed orients the primers properly just like a flip try would.

I absolutely agree on the scale. The Lee beam scale isn't something I'd recommend. I used one about twice before it went in the trash.

If you don't wanna spring for a digital scale, an RCBS or Dillon beam scale will be fine.

IGF

stormbind
01-18-2010, 08:35
This will come in handy. Works great if you boo boo.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=851547

Ok picked one of those up.

Don't forget the collet for your caliber.

Thought that I had that. Maybe I am not sure what you are talking about.

Since you are loading on a single stage press a couple of these well help out.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=368157

Got one of these too. :supergrin:

Personally I would get a different good powder scale.

I absolutely agree on the scale. The Lee beam scale isn't something I'd recommend. I used one about twice before it went in the trash.

Scale?! What do I even need one of those for? I was not gonna use it anyway........:tongueout::rofl:
Ok, so I will look into an alternative scale. What would be the disadvantages of the Lee scale?

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'll check back later before I place my second order.

unclebob
01-18-2010, 08:50
I would have at least two of the loading block trays. Like when adding powder you take the case out of one tray add the powder and put it in the other tray.
To put it very simply the Lee scale is just plain POS.
Get a kinetic bullet puller. Cheaper and a lot simpler.

stormbind
01-18-2010, 10:22
Right now I am going to have to use the Lee scale that comes with the kit. At least for a little while. I have decided that I am not going to get the Lee FCD for now. If I see a need for it in the future I will pick one up. So...is there anything else that I should get?

RustyFN
01-18-2010, 10:32
Loading on a single stage I would not get the FCD, I would crimp in the seating die. Like others said you really don't need to crimp you just need to get rid of the flair the expander die put in, maybe a hair more. Also forget the case length gage and shell holder, you don't need to trim 45 auto brass. Welcome to reloading.

Colorado4Wheel
01-18-2010, 11:54
Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 45 ACP]?

Get the Dillon Case Gauge. It's not the same as a Case Length Gauge from lee. It's stainless and will never rust. It helps for setup and trouble shooting. Order it from Dillon Directly and get the Blue Press free every month. I don't see dial calipers on your list. Harbour Frieght has several. I like my digitals ones just fine.

stormbind
01-18-2010, 12:04
Colorado,

Thanks for the heads-up. I already have a set of calipers though.

RustyFN,

I thought that the Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder was required for the operation of the press. Doesn't the shell holder sit inside the ram and is unique for each caliber?

stormbind
01-18-2010, 12:08
So I am about to head off to the store and see what I can find powder and primer wise. I am gonna place the midway order when I get back.

Any other suggestions?

Zombie Steve
01-18-2010, 12:13
Well, nobody has mentioned it, so I'll suggest that you get a 3-ring notebook for keeping data and / or make a computer spreadsheet (tougher to take to the range). Do not trust yourself to remember everything you did or changed. I have a spiral notebook, but it takes me forever to find something which is why I suggest a 3-ring (you can at least organize by caliber).

Next, pick up a 6 pack of colored Sharpie markers. I'll color code the primers when I'm doing a work-up batch. It's a tad safer (read more idiot proof for me), and if you ever drop them at the range you'll know what's what.

Skip the fcd for now, get one later if you are so inclined. Don't skimp on calipers.

Be safe and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Colorado4Wheel
01-18-2010, 13:00
Colorado,

RustyFN,

I thought that the Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder was required for the operation of the press. Doesn't the shell holder sit inside the ram and is unique for each caliber?

Lee gives you a free shellholder with their Die sets. So you don't need to buy a extra. The case length gauge Lee sells is for a triming tool they sell. Got a link to the one your looking at?

snair
01-18-2010, 13:25
He won't eed a flip tray on the Lee... The Lee primer feed orients the primers properly just like a flip try would.

If you don't wanna spring for a digital scale, an RCBS or Dillon beam scale will be fine.

IGFsorry

robin303
01-18-2010, 13:31
You need a collet to fit your caliber if you get the Hornaday puller found here.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=19948&categoryString=9315***731***8606***

Colorado4Wheel
01-18-2010, 13:37
You need a collet to fit your caliber if you get the Hornaday puller found here.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=19948&categoryString=9315***731***8606***

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=215517

That one is much cheaper and comes with the collets.

stormbind
01-18-2010, 14:12
I think I am gonna skip the bullet puller and just save up the errors. When I get enough errors to make it worth while I will get one then. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

RustyFN
01-18-2010, 14:18
Colorado,

RustyFN,

Yes, if you are buying Lee dies the shell holder will come with the dies.

stormbind
01-18-2010, 14:22
Rusty,

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up.
Man I wish our Wal-Marts had reloading supplies. I was traveling through WV and got stuck in Wythville. Went to the WM there and they had a full stock on everything RCBS and all you needed to reload. It was cool.

Brass Nazi
01-18-2010, 14:26
I think I am gonna skip the bullet puller and just save up the errors. When I get enough errors to make it worth while I will get one then. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Both

Yes, if you are buying Lee dies the shell holder will come with the dies.

Correct, I do not know why all the companies do not do this.

RustyFN
01-18-2010, 14:27

Get one of these.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/rcbs/rcbs_64836.jpg

This one is made by RCBS and has a lifetime warranty. It cost less than $20 and after you pull 93 rounds with this you will pay very close attention to how you load in the future. Don't ask me how I know this.:rofl: Also instead of using the collet that comes with it I use the shell holder from the press, it's very easy if you only have a couple to pull now and then.

IndyGunFreak
01-18-2010, 14:57
Both

Correct, I do not know why all the companies do not do this.

Cuz they can charge you another 15-20 for the shell holder.

IGF

Hydraulicman
01-18-2010, 14:57
I am currently reloading .45 acp with the lee 3 die set on my dillon 550B

For now i'm crimping and seating in the same die. It works just fine. I'll get a taper crimp die later

IndyGunFreak
01-18-2010, 14:59
sorry

Ain't nothing to be sorry about... on 99.99% of the presses out there, he'd need some sort of Flip tray.

Your scale advice was solid.. :)

IGF

Bones507
01-19-2010, 04:03
Get yourself a subscription to Handloader magazine. Its about $20 or so for a year and you will pick up hints and tips there, lots of good articles every month and if you decide to start casting theres plenty of stuff there to help guide you. You never really know what you will find there. Good investment especially if you save your back issues, you never know what road you are going to take in this hobby.

stormbind
01-19-2010, 09:13
Alright so I ended up finding a brick of Federal Large Pistol Primers last night for around $30 after taxes. Also, I have been collecting my spent brass for some time now so I have plenty of spent .45 cases. So the only thing that I am missing is powder.

Is there any specific powder you guys think that I should try first? Is there anything specific I need to do to the fired brass before I load it? Thanks for your help!!!

stormbind
01-19-2010, 09:14
Get yourself a subscription to Handloader magazine.

Good call on that Bones! I will be looking into that very soon!

stormbind
01-19-2010, 09:19

I decided not to get the puller for now. but when I do get one I will be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks!

Colorado4Wheel
01-19-2010, 09:19
Alright so I ended up finding a brick of Federal Large Pistol Primers last night for around $30 after taxes. Also, I have been collecting my spent brass for some time now so I have plenty of spent .45 cases. So the only thing that I am missing is powder.

Is there any specific powder you guys think that I should try first? Is there anything specific I need to do to the fired brass before I load it? Thanks for your help!!!

If you look at just the last month on this forum that question (powder) has been asked and answered a bunch of time. Just read titles on the last 3 pages of this forum and you will find a bunch of threads about it.

Most people just clean, size, deprime and load the brass for pistol.

vafish
01-19-2010, 10:44
Of all the stuff listed I don't see any way to clean and polish the cases.

I'd suggest you also pick up a tumbler and some media.

stormbind
01-19-2010, 12:18
I guess that was my real question. Do I really need to clean the brass before I reload it?

GioaJack
01-19-2010, 12:25
I guess that was my real question. Do I really need to clean the brass before I reload it?

Brass needs to be clean before you load it... not shiny, not pristine, not factory fresh.

You want to be sure there is no diet, mud, pebbles, etc. inside the case and no dirt sticking ti the outside of the case that can damage your dies or scratch a chamber.

For years we used to look in every case and wipe off the outside of the case with a rag... the relatively cheap price of tumblers and ease of availability has made life much easier.

If you can afford it, buy a quality tumbler, if you can't, buy a cheaper one, it'll work fine, you just may have to replace it more often.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-19-2010, 15:18

Yes, clean it but you don't need a tumbler. Just wiping it off will be fine. You can rinse it and let it dry as well.

vafish
01-20-2010, 06:57

As others have said, yes you need to clean your cases, and no you don't need a tumbler.

When I started out reloading 27 years ago I just used some liquid brass cleaner, I can't remember the brand, but it was similar to this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=888624

It got the cases clean, but they don't like shiny and new. After a couple of years using the liquid I got a Lyman Turbo 1000 tumbler for Christmas. Cases came out shiny and new after that.

So no you don't need a tumbler, but if you are going to reload seriously you will want to get one eventually.

stormbind
01-20-2010, 20:24
So the one thing that I did forget that is of small importance are the bolts to attach the press to the bench. Whoops! So I will have to wait until tomorrow to get some bolts and set up the press. I did however pick up some titegroup.

I am going to try and DIY a tumbler for less than you can get a vibrating tumbler. Any ideas?

DoctaGlockta
01-20-2010, 20:38
Wow what a night with my LNL. Bent the cam feed primer and then blew the bracket that holds the cam onto the press into two pieces. Will make a call tomorrow to Hornady and order those parts. I think the primer slide got stuck and I forced the press a bit too much thinking that I had a military crimp that was tight to de-prime. This bent the cam all to rat droppings. It was fun having to take apart the primer assembly and having primers escape all over. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to take the press off the bench to get a new cam into the unit. Live, learn.

kcbrown
01-20-2010, 20:45
Wow what a night with my LNL. Bent the cam feed primer and then blew the bracket that holds the cam onto the press into two pieces. Will make a call tomorrow to Hornady and order those parts. I think the primer slide got stuck and I forced the press a bit too much thinking that I had a military crimp that was tight to de-prime. This bent the cam all to rat droppings. It was fun having to take apart the primer assembly and having primers escape all over. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to take the press off the bench to get a new cam into the unit. Live, learn.

Are you sure you didn't really want a Lee Loadmaster? You could have had the same amount of fun for half the price! :tongueout:

dudel
01-21-2010, 01:55
Get yourself a subscription to Handloader magazine. Its about $20 or so for a year and you will pick up hints and tips there, lots of good articles every month and if you decide to start casting theres plenty of stuff there to help guide you. You never really know what you will find there. Good investment especially if you save your back issues, you never know what road you are going to take in this hobby.

+1 on Handloader. Great information.

DoctaGlockta
01-21-2010, 07:58
Are you sure you didn't really want a Lee Loadmaster? You could have had the same amount of fun for half the price! :tongueout:Haha. I called Hornady today and they are sending me out parts. I can't think of any product I've ever bought that has this much flawless customer support and service -even if it is your bad and you screw up. Good folk at Hornady.

stormbind
01-21-2010, 09:12
Hey Docta, what ya doin in ma thread :wow::tongueout:

Just kidding...but seriously what does this have to do with my thread? Maybe I am just missing it. :upeyes:
---------------------------
I picked up a copy of Handloader and am in the process of setting up a subscription.

As far as the bullet puller goes. I think that I will go with the cam style. This is because in the future I plan on getting a progressive press and then I will use this one solely for bullet pulling. Any thoughts?

DoctaGlockta
01-21-2010, 09:47

Just kidding...but seriously what does this have to do with my thread? Maybe I am just missing it. :upeyes:
I picked up a copy of Handloader and am in the process of setting up a subscription.

As far as the bullet puller goes. I think that I will go with the cam style. This is because in the future I plan on getting a progressive press and then I will use this one solely for bullet pulling. Any thoughts?Yep guilty of a hijacking - not intentional. Just thought this was a thread about the LNL. I'm out. Good luck.

stormbind
01-21-2010, 09:52
Hey thanks for the Good Luck! I just wanted to make sure that you knew where you were :-)

GioaJack
01-21-2010, 10:03

As you get the time to navigate the forum a little longer you may notice that threads tend to take on a life of their own, each with different nuances and poster interactions.

The answer to an OP's question usually leads to further answers based on different experiences and perspectives which in turn often leads to questions or observations on a peripheral subject.

In addition to enlightening the forum at large, including the OP, it is also an informal way for posters to get to know each other, learn loading philosophies and garner friendly, helpful relationships.

Of all the loading forums on the net GT stands out in that not only is one afforded the opportunity to learn, or teach, as the case may be, but to do it in an entertaining and encouraging atmosphere.

Never hesitate to start a thread and ask a question or post an observation or experience... you, plus the rest of the posters and readers will most assuredly learn something.

As an example, if the time should ever come that you purchase a Hornady LNL you've just learned not to force it... that uninvited piece of information may save you a call to Hornady customer service.

With regards to your collet bullet puller, that is one piece of equipment where the ultimate goal is to have it sitting around gathering dust... attention to detail and prior research will limit its needed use. Permanently mounting it in your press will negate a station that could be used for other more commonly used dies, i.e. powder check die, separate crimp die, etc.

You may also want to consider a kinetic bullet puller, it will afford a greater chance of being able to re-use the projectile and simply sits on your bench or hangs on the wall waiting for that once in a blue moon time when you actually need it. Happy loading, happy shooting and be safe.

To Art: (Docta)

If a six pound sledge didn't come in the box with your LNL... don't use it. Although there are lots of times where the use of force is not only justified but quite pleasurably... using a reloading press is not one of those times.

If something binds simply stop, take a breath, (have a cigarette and a short scotch), and figure out the problem. It's either that or put customer service on speed dial. :supergrin:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 11:04
We should talk some mroe about the FCD for 9mm, .40/10mm, and .45 ACP. Thats marginally (if at all) on topic and should keep this thread alive at least another week. Maybe by then Stormbind will have loaded his first rounds and we will have something else to talk about. Thats a good two weeks right there. Get busy everybody :)

kcbrown
01-21-2010, 11:20
Haha. I called Hornady today and they are sending me out parts. I can't think of any product I've ever bought that has this much flawless customer support and service -even if it is your bad and you screw up. Good folk at Hornady.

I've had similar support from RCBS and Dillon.

It's interesting to me that the reloading companies seem to have better customer support than just about anyone else out there. I can't think of any other set of companies that will support you to such a large degree even if you screw up.

It's very refreshing. Makes me wonder if customer support from most companies used to be this way. It certainly wasn't even as far back as the 80s...

GioaJack
01-21-2010, 11:27
We should talk some mroe about the FCD for 9mm, .40/10mm, and .45 ACP. Thats marginally (if at all) on topic and should keep this thread alive at least another week. Maybe by then Stormbind will have loaded his first rounds and we will have something else to talk about. Thats a good two weeks right there. Get busy everybody :)

Now, now Steve, don't pick on Stormbind, we were all in his position at one time. Gotta give him credit for asking questions and trying to learn. Sounds like he did a fair amount of research before he posted so kudos to him. He's already ahead of the curve.

As to what we should talk about... I guess we could discuss people who keep coming up with excuses for not learning how to cast. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 11:31
Now, now Steve, don't pick on Stormbind, we were all in his position at one time. Gotta give him credit for asking questions and trying to learn. Sounds like he did a fair amount of research before he posted so kudos to him. He's already ahead of the curve.

As to what we should talk about... I guess we could discuss people who keep coming up with excuses for not learning how to cast. :whistling:

Jack

I think Storm knows I just kidding around.

Now that guy who wont get the equipment to cast. He should be flogged.

BTW, Midway has the Lee #20 Bottom Pour Pot on sale till the end of the month. Not that I looked or anything. Thats just a little fact I found out about.

GioaJack
01-21-2010, 11:55
The flogging shall continue until morale improves. :whistling:

Jack

DoctaGlockta
01-21-2010, 13:33
To Art: (Docta)

If a six pound sledge didn't come in the box with your LNL... don't use it. Although there are lots of times where the use of force is not only justified but quite pleasurably... using a reloading press is not one of those times.

If something binds simply stop, take a breath, (have a cigarette and a short scotch), and figure out the problem. It's either that or put customer service on speed dial. :supergrin:

JackJack the funny thing is the amount of force was about the same as a rifle case that perhaps needed just a bit more lube to get it in and out of the sizing die easier. Todd at Hornady knew exactly what had happened and says it is a very common problem. Thanks for the advice. Live and Learn and Load. Sorry to OP for threadjacking again. :wavey:

GioaJack
01-21-2010, 14:51
Jack the funny thing is the amount of force was about the same as a rifle case that perhaps needed just a bit more lube to get it in and out of the sizing die easier. Todd at Hornady knew exactly what had happened and says it is a very common problem. Thanks for the advice. Live and Learn and Load. Sorry to OP for threadjacking again. :wavey:

Now what are ya gonna do, keep secrets? Tell us what you did to screw it up and why Hornady said it was a common problem.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, start a new thread. :supergrin:

Jack

Bob2223
01-21-2010, 15:57
Now that guy who wont get the equipment to cast. He should be flogged.

BTW, Midway has the Lee #20 Bottom Pour Pot on sale till the end of the month. Not that I looked or anything. Thats just a little fact I found out about.

I think you should go visit Jack and use his equip, he was just braggin about getting a drum full of WW ? :whistling:

Bob

GioaJack
01-21-2010, 17:00
I think you should go visit Jack and use his equip, he was just braggin about getting a drum full of WW ? :whistling:

Bob

C4W can't come up here... he gets lightheaded from the altitude. (Flatlender, don't ya know.) :whistling:

Jack

stormbind
01-21-2010, 21:20
Excellent! I am glad you guys are keeping yourselves busy :-D

Anyway I just got done loading my first set of bullets. Only 2 out of 50 were not usable. One was the first time I was setting up the bullet seat die and pressed a bullet too deep. The other was from a case failure. I'll post pics of my prized little bullets tomorrow when I get the time in the afternoon. I have even thought about not shooting them.......nah..who are we kidding...Fire It Up!!!

robin303
01-22-2010, 03:14
As you get the time to navigate the forum a little longer you may notice that threads tend to take on a life of their own, each with different nuances and poster interactions.
Jack

Got that right Jack. Several years ago on http://www.kiowapilots.com we were talking about rotor heads and pitch links and 3 pages later they were talking about panties.:rofl::rofl:Never ever figured that one out.:dunno::rofl:

stormbind
01-22-2010, 19:03
Ok so I know that I said that I would post pics...and I did. Just not here. I decided to start a new thread for pictures of hand-loaded cartridges. Thought that it might be interesting and fun. Anyway my freshly reloaded cartridges are pictured in that thread here (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174340). Hope to see you there!

Another link:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174340

shotgunred
01-22-2010, 20:00

Well I did just buy a FCD for my 223. Mostly because I couldn't stand that empty hole and wanted that station to do something.

stormbind
01-22-2010, 21:39
Well I did just buy a FCD for my 223. Mostly because I couldn't stand that empty hole and wanted that station to do something.

I agree. When I get a turret press I will probably get a FCD for that reason alone.

Riflemanz
01-23-2010, 07:41
Next time buy the lee 4 die set.Buy some more reloading books from different companies like Lyman,nosler,barnes.Read the recipe for the caliber your reloading with type bullet,powder,primer,case.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=242098

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2010, 08:17

.223 is different. It's really just a Crimp die. Has none of the features I don't like.

I agree. When I get a turret press I will probably get a FCD for that reason alone.

Or just get a regular crimp die. It's not like you will need the FCD.

RustyFN
01-23-2010, 09:34
Or just get a regular crimp die. It's not like you will need the FCD.

I'm being nice Jack. :rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2010, 09:47
I'm just saying you don't "have" to buy a FCD. That you could just as easily buy a regular crimp die. And that "need" is determined after you find you have a problem, not just to fill a hole in the turret. Not trying to rehash a bunch of crap but surely we can a agree he could just as easily put a regular taper crimp die in the press.

RustyFN
01-23-2010, 10:23
surely we can a agree he could just as easily put a regular taper crimp die in the press.

I agree. But I don't think we will agree that there are advantages to using the FCD over the standard crimp die and I'm not talking about fixing bad ammo. I won't go into that here either since it is all posted in a thousand other threads.