question regarding gun transport to illinois... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question regarding gun transport to illinois...

theTactician
01-17-2010, 20:40
hi guys, im moving from california back to the state of illinois. i just had my FOID card and i was wondering if any of you gents know if its legal to transport from point A (California) to point B (Illinois) by car provided that my guns are locked in a container, maybe disassembled, and ammunition, locked in a separate container. What are the laws regarding transportation of firearms in illinois? thanks.

MakeMineA10mm
01-18-2010, 19:22
I can't speak for all of those places in-between A and B, but once you're here in Illinois, if you've already got your FOID card, your transportation plan/system sounds quite legal and fine.

05FLHT
01-24-2010, 06:59
From the Statute -

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed

on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;

or
(ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,

firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

Your firearm must meed one of the three listed conditions for the exemption to UUW (unlawful use of a weapon) to comply. For unloaded and enclosed in a case, you may have a loaded magazine in the case (not in the weapon).

***Note - to comply with the WC (wildlife code) the case must be designed to house a firearm.

There are many nuances of the law, such as per a recent IL Supreme court ruling in Diggens, it is lawful to carry an unloaded firearm, along with a loaded magazine, in the center console (or glovebox) of your vehicle. That is to say you are exempted from the UUW charge, but some IL LE say they will still cite you for the WC violation.

For more information, Illinoiscarry dotcom is an excellent site for additional information.

Davegrave
01-24-2010, 07:23
I can't speak for all of those places in-between A and B, but once you're here in Illinois, if you've already got your FOID card, your transportation plan/system sounds quite legal and fine.

How does it work if you move to Illinois? Do you have to apply for a FOID card before you move or is there a grace period.
I would never move back, but I was pondering this very thing the other day.

05FLHT
01-24-2010, 09:21
I'm not sure about a grace period, but you need to be an IL resident to obtain a FOID card.

Davegrave
01-24-2010, 09:23
I'm not sure about a grace period, but you need to be an IL resident to obtain a FOID card.
I thought so. So if I were to give up on my life of freedom and move back to Illinois, would I have to let my dad hold all my guns till I got my card? What If I didn't have anyone for that? Then what?
Piss on Illinois. The whole Northeastern quarter could just fall off the map for all I care. Maybe with that chunk gone the rest could be salvaged. :rofl:

dorkweed
01-25-2010, 18:02
There is no law regarding the transportation of ammunition in your vehicle in this state. The exception being that residents must meet both of these......... have a valid FOID and any weapon must meet 1 of the conditions mentioned above. Non-residents must meet only the second.

volsbear
02-16-2010, 07:04
http://www.pjstar.com/news/x593076740/Supreme-Court-upholds-ruling-on-Peoria-gun-case

But as it's been said, this doesn't exempt you from the Wildlife Code.

devildog24
03-11-2010, 10:36
http://www.pjstar.com/news/x593076740/supreme-court-upholds-ruling-on-peoria-gun-case

but as it's been said, this doesn't exempt you from the wildlife code.
are very many people carrying in their console in the peoples republic?

volsbear
03-11-2010, 12:32
I don't know. I haven't exactly taken a poll LOL

MakeMineA10mm
03-11-2010, 15:43
are very many people carrying in their console in the peoples republic?

I think so. When the IL Sup. Crt. ruled (the original case was very local to me, so all the newspapers and TV stations carried news stories about it), a lot of discussion was going on in my area, and I know several people who have started to carry that way, who never carried before...

05FLHT
03-13-2010, 12:20
I personally would not "transport" an unloaded firearm inside of a vehicle console. Aside from the issue with the Wildlife Code, I would not feel comfortable leaving a weapon and loaded magazine inside of the vehicle unattended.

I have small kids who, at any available opportunity, will not hesitate to escape from the back, put various items into my air vents and be into every nook and cranny possible. You also have to deal with the fact that once you leave a permissible location, you may not open the console until you have arrived at another permissible location, or else you just committed felony UUW.

I think that a better solution for "transporting" an unloaded firearm would be either a fanny pack made for a firearm, or something like a Maxpedition Versi Pack. Either one of these will allow you to easily "transport" an unloaded firearm, fully encased, along with a loaded magazine. This way the firearm is secured on you person, and available if you ever should need it for a self defense situation.

Understand, in no way is transporting an unloaded firearm in a console, fanny pack or the like an effective means of self defense. It is however, one more tool that you may need to protect yourself or your family. If you just want to go to/from the range, buy a hard case and be done with it.