Colt XSE Vs. SA Loaded [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt XSE Vs. SA Loaded

JGguns
01-18-2010, 07:49
I am trying ti decide between a NIB SA Loaded with NS and a LNIB Colt XSE Gov size. I am wanting this gun for shooting matches (idpa), bowling pin shoots, etc. Its gonna get alot of use. I would pay about 50 more for the colt. What would you guys choose and why, Thanks alot

Oh and if it matters the colt is series 80. Also if anyone else has a different suggestions on a gun in my range please let me know. I cant really go higher than 800 including tax, shipping ffl etc.

Ok the kimber just entered the picture. My local shop has a excellent kimber Custom II with the dredded external extractor for 599. So thats gonna 200 less than the colt. This would be nice cause then I could order my re loading press, however I dont want to skimp but if that is a good gun at a fair price I wouldnt mind it. Plus It felt buttery smooth and had a nice trigger

Screaming .357G
01-18-2010, 08:27
I would pick the colt... Made in USA, my colts have been 100% reliable.
I can not say that my springfields have always been reliable.

pascal
01-18-2010, 08:43
Hello JGguns,
IMHO if you can make arrangements to inspect the Colt or have someone with the knowledge give it an examination prior to accepting it, so it can be replaced bypassing Colt Repair, and you find a good one, likely, then Colt absolutely.
pascal

JGguns
01-18-2010, 08:51
I can take a look at it. I dont know any 1911 guys so I can only go by what I know (wich is limited lol) Any specific reasons for the colt?

pascal
01-18-2010, 09:01
When done right, they are the originators of the pistol. Quality forged parts for the most part. US made, trade deficits, Americans with jobs, and if it's not a Colt it a clone:whistling:
pascal

BOGE
01-18-2010, 09:02
...Any specific reasons for the colt?

Itīs like picking the woman with big knockers. Itīs just the right thing to do. :supergrin:

JGguns
01-18-2010, 09:18
Itīs like picking the woman with big knockers. Itīs just the right thing to do. :supergrin:

Lol well when put that way...... I like colt alot I actually have a the Lightweight commander xse. But I have shot some loadeds that I liked alot as well. I am sure I would be happy with either

Officer's Match
01-18-2010, 10:01
Colt, easily in this case.

hikerpaddler
01-18-2010, 10:06
Can't go wrong with either.

JGguns
01-18-2010, 11:31
Ok the kimber just got added to the mix.

JGguns
01-18-2010, 12:14
After reading some threads and see some prices and reviews it seems that the kimber for alittle over six and a quarter is a decent price. So my only question is, is the external extractor a deal breaker?

Black Cloud
01-18-2010, 12:44
The ee is hit or miss. I owned a Custom II with one, but had it replaced with an internal extractor. If you do have any problems, Kimber will make it right (it might take 3 months).
As for the Springer verses Colt deal, it comes down to brand loyalty . Both are good guns. The Colt does have less mim parts, but to me that is not an issue.
You said that you were going to use it as a match gun right? Then why not go for the one that is $50 cheaper, with night sights, and new in box? That extra can go towards that reloading press. Trust me both guns will do the job you mention above.
By the way if you do decide on the Kimber (talk them down lower), set aside an extra $60 for shipping, just in case. For that $60 they go over it with a fine toothcomb, making it a great deal.

JGguns
01-18-2010, 13:01
They wont come down on the kimber unfortunately. But they did say if there is any problems I can bring it in and the smith will look at it for me.

smokey45
01-18-2010, 13:03
Having owned all of the above mentioned pistols, for my money, I'd go with the Kimber. The Loaded Springer would be my second choice. The EE got a bum rap. Yeah, there were a few problems, all easily operator corrected. The internal extractor in 1911s require frequent tuning as well. I own them with both IE and EE. Not a nickel's worth of difference in performance, (in my experience). Strange that all the other pistol platforms are ok with the EE, but not the 1911. Hmmm. Something wrong with that logic.
s45

Black Cloud
01-18-2010, 13:04
They wont come down on the kimber unfortunately. But they did say if there is any problems I can bring it in and the smith will look at it for me.

NIB, night sights, it's a no brainer.

JGguns
01-18-2010, 13:13
Smokey funny you say that cause I thought the same thing when I picked up my glock a minute ago. Im still pretty torn but the kimber and reloading kit is sounding nice. But I am still putting some thought into it.... The night sites dont mean a whole lot for me other than adding to the value, and if I do low light shoots I guess, but I do sgree it is nice having a NIB with warranty and such... I am waiting for a respose from the guy with the colt to see if I can get him to come down in price. All 3 have good factors about them now I just need to figure out what is gonna suit me best

anyplainjoe
01-18-2010, 21:00
the Springfield is an imported commodity.

Makoman
01-19-2010, 02:07
I would go with the Colt because
#1. It's a Colt (ok, I'm biased)
#2. It's US made.
#3. I could be wrong on this, but I've read (I'll try to find the link) the Colt has only 3 MIM parts. I think the extractor is but I'm not sure, the grip safety, and I'm not sure about the third.

and lastly, I've never had an issue with either my series 80 enhanced, or my XSE. So far as constant tuning of the extracter goes, I've got thousands of rounds through that enhanced and haven't ever had to tune the extractor. Haven't replace any springs either and it still runs like a champ. If that is an issue, just put a Wilson's bullet proof extractor and it will probably outlast you.

I also prefer an internal extractor on 1911's. Reviews that I've read about the Kimber Pro Carry which i was considering for purchase have stated that extractors (which are actually internal on that gun) and slide stops, both of which are MIM parts btw, are prone to breaking. Once again though, you can replace them with Wilson parts and that should take care of any potential problems.

smokey45
01-19-2010, 07:12
Of course the Kimber is American made if that's important to you.
s45

hdbob
01-19-2010, 07:15
Springfield armory....... I would say kimber over both, but with all the problems with the External Extractor I wouldnt take a chance on a used gun with one... you should be able to buy a new basic kimber for the price of them others.

Narkcop
01-19-2010, 21:36
I'd pick the Colt OR the Colt!

CMG
01-20-2010, 00:17
The latest Colts are an improved product over some from the past. I recently opted for an XSE model, and I have been quite impressed with the fit (no slide slop, no barrel hood movement) and with a nicely fit genuine beaver-tail grip safety to boot.

Colt Combat Elite
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/CCombatElite.jpg

01-21-2010, 17:29
I have two Colts. They always go bang. I would stay away from the Kimber External Extractor. Because, they are hard to sell.

gconan
01-21-2010, 19:09
, and if it's not a Colt it a clone:whistling:
pascal

Or an improvement.:supergrin:

Glolt20-91
01-21-2010, 21:43
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/1911rangeworkout007.jpg

After an extensive, flawless range session a couple of years ago, on my hip as I type with no hiccups.

Colt currently uses 3 MIM parts.

MIM
sear
disconnector
mag catch

CAST
Thumb safety
grip safety

FORGED
slide
receiver
barrel
slide stop

MACHINED from bar stock
hammer
all pins
bbl link
bbl bushing
trigger finger piece
ejector
firing pin
firing pin stop
extractor
plunger tube

Bob :cowboy:

mikegun
01-21-2010, 22:11
having owned all of the above mentioned pistols, for my money, i'd go with the kimber. The loaded springer would be my second choice. The ee got a bum rap. Yeah, there were a few problems, all easily operator corrected. The internal extractor in 1911s require frequent tuning as well. I own them with both ie and ee. Not a nickel's worth of difference in performance, (in my experience). Strange that all the other pistol platforms are ok with the ee, but not the 1911. Hmmm. Something wrong with that logic.
S45

at last, i have owned kimbers with ee, never had a problem....pay attention to the above post....SOLD 2 KIMBERS WTH EE NO PROBLEM, NO LOSS OF BUCKS.

Makoman
01-21-2010, 23:28
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/1911rangeworkout007.jpg

After an extensive, flawless range session a couple of years ago, on my hip as I type with no hiccups.

Bob :cowboy:

Thanks for that info. I've got the XSE in blue and love it. I don't know how many rounds I've put through it but it's a lot, and same story. Absolutely flawless in function. I want to get a compact now. I'd like to get a commander but I really want a 4" gun.

Makoman
01-21-2010, 23:31
This post I think shoud be made a sticky. I think there are lot Colt freaks out there that want to know what's made of what in their guns.

GVFlyer
01-22-2010, 01:11

:rofl:

Buy the Colt.

It's a better pistol than the Springfield and a much better pistol than the Kimber. The Colt is tough, reliable and accurate. I'm still shooting a 1911 that my grandfather brought back from World War II. The Colt will retain it's value better than the other two guns as well. Only the uninformed buy an external extractor Kimber.

Also, if you ever want to build up a custom pistol the Colt is a better base platform. The XSE already has a frame that has a trigger guard undercut for a high grip, an ambi-safety and front cocking serrations.

Ryobi
01-26-2010, 07:39
The loaded comes with hundreds of dollars of mods over a base 1911. It's great, but if going to build all the way, it's cheaper overall to start with a base gun. Look at what you intend to do. Depending upon your needs or wants, it might be better to procure a Loaded, or better to get a base 1911 and start from there.

MoCop
01-26-2010, 09:01
I'd take the Colt. They are good guns. http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu207/barney2247/042.jpg