Failed to fire...help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Failed to fire...help

legends13
01-18-2010, 11:14
Ok, I have an AR that I built from a stripped lower, and complete upper. The lower is from essential arms, and the upper (kit) i bought from ar-15kits.com

Very easy to assemble, as the upper was all complete. All I had to do was install the LPK, and the stock, and then attach the upper and lower together.

So, I have put about 80 rounds through it, and have had probably 5-8 no fires. The primer was hit, as you can see the "dimple" where the firing pin hit it, but no BOOM. (this is not a good failure. The M-16 Manual for the Army says if this happens clear the round within 10 secs, or else point the gun down range, and leave it for 15-20 mins before trying to eject, cause it might be a delayed BOOM)

The ammo was cheap (Barnaul, nickel plated) and I am hoping this is the problem. Next chance I get, I am going to be shooting some federal.

Anyone have advise on what might be the problem (ammo or other)

Thanks!

kgain673
01-18-2010, 11:35
clean out your bolt and firing pin, lube it up good and try to shoot good ammo. My brother had the same problem but he was shooting Wolf, and got pissed at me because I built his rife and he felt I messed it up. I told to clean it up and problems gone. You may have a different problem, but I'm just trying to help.

furioso2112
01-18-2010, 13:09
cheap nickel plated ammo? maybe steel-cased?

Could be an ammo/bolt lube issue.

M&A Parts has a thread (maybe on their website?) about 'don't call us all pissed off that your kit gun won't shoot until you trouble-shoot' and goes on to list several things that could cause issues like the one you are having. Most of them are very simple things.

Look up the thread I posted a week or so ago - somthing like "further explanation of 'run it wet' please..." There were some good posts in there.

Previous poster had reasonable response. Take your bolt carrier assembly apart (if you don't have a manual, there are plenty online) and clean and lube it properly, check the firing pin for damage, use good ammo. Could be a batch of primers with a high fail rate.

Just re-read your post - if you're seeing the dimple in the primer, that smacks of bad primers/ammo

Onmilo
01-18-2010, 14:32
Without several brands of ammo to confirm it is the gun, first guess would be the ammo.

legends13
01-18-2010, 14:49
thanks for the replies. I will shoot some federal as soon as I get a chance and see if she gets better.

kgain673
01-18-2010, 16:50
clean that firing pin and bolt, inside and out and you should be good.

Jon_R
01-18-2010, 16:56
Check that your hammer spring is installed correctly. Make sure the arms of the hammer spring is above the trigger pin. If the legs are below the trigger spring it make your hammer weak hitting the firing pin so you get light hits on the primer.

My buddy had this on the carbine he put together and it took us a while to figure it out until we compared his lower in detail to my lower.

lawman800
01-19-2010, 01:34
It happens sometimes with new rifles. My Bushmaster had a firing pin problem which cleared itself up within 100 rounds. Guess it broke itself in.

internal
01-19-2010, 10:43
Check that your hammer spring is installed correctly. Make sure the arms of the hammer spring is above the trigger pin. If the legs are below the trigger spring it make your hammer weak hitting the firing pin so you get light hits on the primer.

My buddy had this on the carbine he put together and it took us a while to figure it out until we compared his lower in detail to my lower.

95% of the time when someone installs an LPK and they're having FTF issues, its because of the hammer spring being install incorrectly.

vafish
01-19-2010, 13:18
95% of the time when someone installs an LPK and they're having FTF issues, its because of the hammer spring being install incorrectly.

Agree, first thing I was going to say was check the hammer spring installation.

2nd thing is make sure the firing pin channel is clean and properly lubed. Heck make sure the whole gun is cleaned and lubed properly. If you didn't receive proper training in cleaning a M16/M4 from some loud mouthed NCO in a smokey the bear hat you need to read up on how to properly clean an AR15.

3rd thing, check the ammo. Some of the Russian steel cased stuff has hard primers.

AC45ACP
01-19-2010, 20:35
it's the ammo! you were shooting cheap ammo right? bad primmer!

Kentak
01-19-2010, 21:45
it's the ammo! you were shooting cheap ammo right? bad primmer!

Well, that's my opinion, too. I'm assuming the OP knows what a decent "dimple" in a primer *should* look like. If it's a weak dimple, it's most likely rifle related, like hammer spring instalation (or hard primers). If it's a proper dimple, it's gotta be bad primers unless I'm missing something.

Advice. Try several other brands of ammo ASAP.