Magpul MOE Install [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE Install

HomeLandPatriot
01-18-2010, 13:50
Just installed a new Magpul MOE on my ddm4, and in the instructions, magpul says to not reuse the original screw in the grip. Well the screw magpul sent me was so junked up with loctite from the factory that it wouldn't go in, and I feared I was starting to hurt the threads on my lower.

Can any harm come from reusing the original hardware? if so, i'll go get another screw from lowes like the one magpul sent without all the dried loctite. The only difference between the screws is the magpul one was slightly shorter, but I don't see how this affects anything.

Input would be appreciated

AC45ACP
01-18-2010, 14:02
I used the DDM4v2 screw in my Miad.

JASV.17
01-18-2010, 14:57
Screw it! The Magpul included screw will go. It'll be a little tight a few turns as the threads "bite" into the locktite, but it'll go. Easily removed as well with the same effort as putting it on.

HomeLandPatriot
01-18-2010, 15:05
Screw it! The Magpul included screw will go. It'll be a little tight a few turns as the threads "bite" into the locktite, but it'll go. Easily removed as well with the same effort as putting it on.

It actually got to the point that I was wrenching it down with a pair of pliers, a screwdriver would no longer turn the screw. The wrench wasn't an option once the grip was installed as there was no room to get it to the screw.

I can't see any reason the old screw won't suffice. If it starts to back out under fire, i'll hit it with my own loctite before it dries and cakes to the threads.

I just wan'ted to make sure I can't do any physical damage by not using the new screw.

Onmilo
01-18-2010, 15:30
Measure the shank of the MOE screw and measure the shank of the OEM screw.
Cut MOE shank to same length as OEM shank if necessary.
I don't use the MAGPUL screws myself, they don't strike me as high quality fasteners which might explain the Loc-Tite.

billyblooshoes
01-18-2010, 16:44
the screw that came with my MOE grip crossthreaded the hole. i had to re-tap it. it only took like 1.5 turns.

faawrenchbndr
01-18-2010, 16:48
the screw that came with my MOE grip crossthreaded the hole. i had to re-tap it. it only took like 1.5 turns.

Not to be an ***,..... but the installed cross-threaded the screw, NOT the screw.
I've always used MagPul screws before without issue.
If you need more than one hand on a screwdriver or allen wrench,
there is a problem.

madecov
01-18-2010, 17:35
I dremeled off the locktite from my magpul screws using a wire brush. Went in fine

CAInstructorTX
01-18-2010, 17:54
not to butt-in, but I also have a question regarding this handguard install. I have a Colt LE6920 with the side-mounted front sling swivel that mounts in the gap under the front sight assembly. Anyone know whether I have to take this off to fit the MOE on or not, or if it will clear? Looking at the pics of the handguard at the Magpul website, it looks like the two "wings" along the front side of the handguard might go over where the sling mount is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CAInstructorTX
01-18-2010, 17:55
you know what, I misread the title of this post, evidently it's about the MOE pistol grip, not the MOE handguard. Apologies. Disregard.

Three-Five-Seven
01-18-2010, 18:06
Why don't you just screw it in without the grip in place, then remove it, then install grip?

HomeLandPatriot
01-18-2010, 18:23
Why don't you just screw it in without the grip in place, then remove it, then install grip?

Thats exactly what I did, and I felt that cross threading my lower receiver was not an option. I've been playing with it all night and it has let to move, so I think im golden. The only reason I asked is because in the manual that came with the MOE grip, it says like this "DON'T USE FACTORY SCREW AND LOCK BOLT!!!" so I thought that being bold and uppercase they may have a reason, apparently not though.

The bolt they sent was beyond junked up....I've spent many a day using loctite and threading bolts onto cars, and this magpul screw was just that....screwed.

The bottom threads even started to flatten out, so when I saw that, it was time to give up on the magpul screw and use the original one. Not about to cross thread an AR i've had for a week. Like I said before though, I can go get another bolt and loctite it myself if anyone can come up with a reason why the OEM bolt won't suffice.

olddep041
01-18-2010, 21:06
If the bolt you use is too long it will go too far in the lower and into the trigger works.
I just clean off most of the locktite and use the one supplied by Magpul.
I you get a different screw, be sure it is not longer than the one Magpul supplied.

lawman800
01-19-2010, 02:54
After reading 2 threads on the Magpul MOE... I've decided to not get anything from Magpul except their mags.

faawrenchbndr
01-19-2010, 05:56
After reading 2 threads on the Magpul MOE... I've decided to not get anything from Magpul except their mags.

Then the only person losing out is you,...MagPul makes great products.
You just have to know what you are doing when working on weapons.

HomeLandPatriot
01-19-2010, 08:28
If the bolt you use is too long it will go too far in the lower and into the trigger works.
I just clean off most of the locktite and use the one supplied by Magpul.
I you get a different screw, be sure it is not longer than the one Magpul supplied.

This was my initial concern, but after looking at the lower, I simply don't see how its the case. The trigger pack is in front of the grip, and there is nothing above where the screw goes into the lower. Its a blank space between the lower and upper, and in fact its covered, so the screw literally can't hit anything.

I'm pretty certain I've resolved the issue, if anything blows up next range trip ill let ya'll know.

JASV.17
01-19-2010, 08:55

If by that, you mean watching a youtube video of the the install...then that's all the experience I had on the matter before doing mine. The "hardest" part of the whole thing was not sending the detent spring across the room.:supergrin:

HomeLandPatriot
01-19-2010, 09:27

don't fret lawman....I have a feeling that Daniel Defense puts a little more thought into their mounting hardware than a $20 magpul grip. I've seen a lot of screws and bolts in my day, and the magpul one just looked cheap and poorly managed. But if reusing the original hardware, or buying a .60c screw makes things right, the magpul moe and miad grip systems are very quality.

Magpul works with polymer, no wonder they screwed up the only metal part:whistling::rofl:

CAInstructorTX
01-19-2010, 19:36
I just installed the MIAD on mine, and had no problems. The screw supplied, like stated before, seems kinda chintzy, but was far shorter than the stock Colt piece, so I didn't want to chance messing anything up on a new gun, but yeah, went in fine, no resistance. I used the lock washer from the stock bolt, don't know if anyone else reuses that piece either.

faawrenchbndr
01-19-2010, 19:49
.......... The "hardest" part of the whole thing was not sending the detent spring across the room.:supergrin:

I always get smacked in the forehead with the pins. :dunno:

lawman800
01-19-2010, 21:53
don't fret lawman....I have a feeling that Daniel Defense puts a little more thought into their mounting hardware than a $20 magpul grip. I've seen a lot of screws and bolts in my day, and the magpul one just looked cheap and poorly managed. But if reusing the original hardware, or buying a .60c screw makes things right, the magpul moe and miad grip systems are very quality.

Magpul works with polymer, no wonder they screwed up the only metal part:whistling::rofl:

I take it back... I also have the magpul ranger mag bottoms or whatever those finger loop things are called. Gotta look the part, after all.

As for Magpul stuff, whatever they make, I am sure is good stuff, but there's nothing they make that I can't find in a competitor product that is more solid feeling, that's all... but I do admit I like the UBR.

biglaake
01-20-2010, 08:54
clean off the loctite, Magpul puts too much on there. Clean it off and use it.

Kentak
01-23-2010, 23:48
The length of the bolts are one issue when using a bolt supplied by a different grip maker. Some grips may have more material between the inside and outside of the bolt hole, thus requiring different length bolts.

Also, remember, the MOE is designed to be able to use the same inserts as the MIAD grip. That's probably why it came with that damn thin slotted bolt head--but I'm just speculating on that. A proper hex socket head bolt might prevent the use of those inserts. If you don't intend to use the inserts, then getting a proper length socket head bolt would sure make getting that bolt in and out a lot easier.

sasage
12-14-2013, 11:26
Would there be any issue in re-using the original screw that was in the A2 grip?

mvician
12-14-2013, 12:28
Would there be any issue in re-using the original screw that was in the A2 grip?

No.......

Steel Head
12-14-2013, 13:01

:rofl:
All the Magpul stuff I've used has been excellent.

I had no issues using the screw that came with my Moe+ grip.

sasage
12-14-2013, 13:59
Thanks for the reply. Some people believe that the old spring in a new grip WL interfere with the trigger group.

mvician
12-14-2013, 14:04
Thanks for the reply. Some people believe that the old spring in a new grip WL interfere with the trigger group.

If it does, add a washer or two.

jakebrake
12-14-2013, 14:43

I've installed every magpul item with out a single problem.

i'm not saying pilot terror.

just use the old screw.

lawman800
12-14-2013, 17:03
:rofl:
All the Magpul stuff I've used has been excellent.

I had no issues using the screw that came with my Moe+ grip.

I do have in the parts bin a ton of MagPul stuff such as their AFG2, MOE grip, MOE forend, MOE stock, XTM guards, flip up sights, etc., but their mags work great and don't make me feel all tacticool.

Chinese Grock
12-17-2013, 06:30
The reason Magpul says to use their screw is if you try to put in one of their grip inserts it won't go all the way in without their flat screw.

1911shootist
12-17-2013, 10:59
Since I don't read instructions I have used other screws without issue. What could happen? If the screw is to long or short don't use it.

faawrenchbndr
12-17-2013, 11:24
Too short, it will not have the proper thread engagement.
Too long, it can contact the trigger in the receiver.

I have yet to ever have a problem with any screw, used on any grip. I tend to prefer the allen head screws. If I have to use a MagPul screw, I remove all the thread locking compound they installed, before I use the screw.

sugerwater
12-18-2013, 14:26
clean off the loctite, Magpul puts too much on there. Clean it off and use it.
This is a good solution.

danattherock
12-24-2013, 22:26
Tagged

Thomasc18
12-25-2013, 12:18
I have a ddm4 v3 I believe I used the factory screw that came with it and not magpuls.