Armalite [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Armalite

zukyota
01-18-2010, 13:16
I have the chance to buy a armalite ar for 725 plus tax. It has od furniture on it. Is this a good gun ? Is this a good price ? It is used, but they say the guy never shot it, I know how that goes but it looks great. What do you think ?

zukyota
01-18-2010, 21:41
I have the chance to buy a armalite ar for 725 plus tax. It has od furniture on it. Is this a good gun ? Is this a good price ? It is used, but they say the guy never shot it, I know how that goes but it looks great. What do you think ?
nobody on here have any info on armalite ?

Javelin
01-18-2010, 22:35
I like Armalite rifles. But CDNN Investments currently has S&W MP15's for $750 NIB w/ rails... so that would be my advice in the ~$700 range.

:wavey:

lawman800
01-19-2010, 01:55
Nice price. I like Armalite.

Jumper
01-19-2010, 07:35
I think if you provided a little more info on the model you would get some more opinions. FWIW I have two Armalite's, an A4 carbine and an AR10-T. They are solid rifles and I dont think you can do any better until you get an LMT or a Noveske. And you won't find either of those for $750.

vega
01-19-2010, 15:40
I have an Armalite upper on Spike's lower if that counts.
It does what it's suppose to do but I mostly do plinkin.

Here's the specs:

The M-15A4 LEC Carbine Complete Upper Assembly with A2 front sight features a chrome lined barrel with M203 step down. The Picatinny Rail on the upper receiver allows rapid and repeatable interchange of removable iron or scope sights.
Each ArmaLite Complete Upper Assembly includes a forged upper receiver assembly, barrel assembly, bolt carrier group and charging handle assembly. All complete upper assemblies are test fired as complete rifles before shipping.

Model: Commercial ISP Carbine Upper Assembly
Caliber: .223 / 5.56
Barrel: 16" Chrome Moly / Chrome Lined with M203 Step Down
Rifling Twist: RH: 1:9"
Muzzle Device: Flash Suppressor
Front Sight Base: A2 Front Sight Assembly
Upper Receiver: Forged Flattop with Picatinny Rail
Finish: Hard Anodized Aluminum, Manganese Phosphated Steel

hdbob
01-20-2010, 01:12
I just bought a brand new armalite from budsgunshop.com for 800 deleived.. the LE carbine.

Alaskapopo
01-20-2010, 01:20

I would pass. Armalite has had issues in the past with miss marking their barrels 5.56 when they really are .223. I have seen their gas keys come loose due to lack of staking in a three gun match. I had a AR180 from them that broke at the receiver pivot point when I was firing it. My AR10T had doubling issues with the trigger and I had to put in an after market trigger to fix it. It went to Armalite 3 times and it still did not get fixed. My Carbine had extraction issues until the new extractor upgrade came out. Sorry but if you can avoid Armalite I would.

vega
01-20-2010, 09:48
I would pass. Armalite has had issues in the past with miss marking their barrels 5.56 when they really are .223.......
I thought Armalite does not mark their barrel?

mag318
01-20-2010, 21:34
I've had several Armalite rifles and they are top shelf firearms. I actually prefer them to Colts and find them to be more accurate and just as reliable.

hdbob
01-21-2010, 01:53
Well crap, I just bought a new one, I thought they were top notch... I thought 800 deleivered was good price.

I would pass. Armalite has had issues in the past with miss marking their barrels 5.56 when they really are .223. I have seen their gas keys come loose due to lack of staking in a three gun match. I had a AR180 from them that broke at the receiver pivot point when I was firing it. My AR10T had doubling issues with the trigger and I had to put in an after market trigger to fix it. It went to Armalite 3 times and it still did not get fixed. My Carbine had extraction issues until the new extractor upgrade came out. Sorry but if you can avoid Armalite I would.

Alaskapopo
01-21-2010, 03:12
Well crap, I just bought a new one, I thought they were top notch... I thought 800 deleivered was good price.

Well see how it works. I would also have that gas key staked, add a BCM extractor upgrade. 800 is not a bad price. But I would have preferred to get something else.
Pat

kirgi08
01-21-2010, 03:29
This is gonna hurt,Pat and I have butted heads on DPMS Ars',I however agree that Armalite is lacking on a few points of manufacture.'08.

faawrenchbndr
01-21-2010, 05:00
I'd buy Armalite before A DPMS!:whistling:

The Armalite MAY need a very few tweaks, but overall,
I think you will be fine. Shoot it and see how it is!

kirgi08
01-21-2010, 05:22
Byte me.'08. :whistling:

Ljay
01-21-2010, 05:26
Who makes the barrels for Armalite?

faawrenchbndr
01-21-2010, 05:32
Byte me.'08. :whistling:

:rofl:,.......saw THAT comming!
I've had both,...never a problem from either brand.

Range Rat
01-21-2010, 18:36

Don't worry about it and just go out and shoot your new toy and enjoy it. I have read not so good things about each one of my firearms on various forums (except my S&W 686P 6") and I am happy with all of them. If you do have a problem, get it fixed. No worries.

FatBoy
01-21-2010, 20:25
I have 3(1 .308, 2 5.56) Armalites. 1(5.56) is still unfired(20" T model that needs glass), so I can't comment on it, but the other two kind of go like this. I press the trigger, they go bang, and then there is a hole in the target. All of mine were properly staked, maybe I just got lucky.

W/O knowing the model, I can't comment on the price.

FB

Alaskapopo
01-21-2010, 22:16
I have 3(1 .308, 2 5.56) Armalites. 1(5.56) is still unfired(20" T model that needs glass), so I can't comment on it, but the other two kind of go like this. I press the trigger, they go bang, and then there is a hole in the target. All of mine were properly staked, maybe I just got lucky.

W/O knowing the model, I can't comment on the price.

FB

Can you post a picture of the staking job. I doubt its properly staked unless you got it from a shop that fixed it before the sold it to you. My AR10's have no staking at all when I got them.
Pat

Javelin
01-22-2010, 18:41
Can you post a picture of the staking job. I doubt its properly staked unless you got it from a shop that fixed it before the sold it to you. My AR10's have no staking at all when I got them.
Pat

My AR M15 did.

deMontacute
01-22-2010, 19:17
I'd buy Armalite before A DPMS!:whistling:

The Armalite MAY need a very few tweaks, but overall,
I think you will be fine. Shoot it and see how it is!
Any day of the weak. Armalite may not be top of the heap, but they are a solid mid pack performer... DPMS? Not so much...

faawrenchbndr
01-22-2010, 20:06
I've had a few of each of them,.......they were fine.

kirgi08
01-23-2010, 00:59
Now look what you stirred up.'08. :whistling:

NEWLOADER
01-23-2010, 08:57
I have an M-15 with O.D furniture like you are considering. If I were starting over from square 1 the only thing I would change is getting one with a removable carry handle. I just recetly had my upper changed for one with a flat top. She now has an Eotech atop. Put roughly 500 rounds down range with only one problem, due to a crappy reloaded case splitting. I would buy another armalite in a minute.

faawrenchbndr
01-23-2010, 11:48
Now look what you stirred up.'08. :whistling:

You didn't stir up squat!

There are those that just can not keep their negative comments to themselves.
This forum would run a crap load smoother if some people would just keep their flippin mouths shut!
There is no need to put another member and insult his/her choice in an AR15.
All AR15's have their pros and cons, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford a $2k rifle.

deMontacute
01-23-2010, 12:10
You didn't stir up squat!

There are those that just can not keep their negative comments to themselves.
This forum would run a crap load smoother if some people would just keep their flippin mouths shut!
There is no need to put another member and insult his/her choice in an AR15.
All AR15's have their pros and cons, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford a $2k rifle.
I don't know if that was aimed at me, but it seems like it was. Which is odd, since I was agreeing with you...

Javelin
01-23-2010, 12:28
Want to see a pic of another Noveske? :whistling:

OK seriously though. A couple years ago I built what I would call a solid AR on a budget. I gave this a lot of thought and put the money where it counted. The Armalite M15 was the choice I went with and quite honestly it was a good decision. Good platform. My BCG was properly staked (albeit not a true M16 BCG which is my only gripe). And it is 1/9 twist which is awesome because it really brings out the accuracy of the 55-62gr. bullets.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5995/1editedarchivepics390.jpg

Armalite M15 ($740 at the time)
EOTech (AA version $390 at the time)
Magpul stock ($60 at the time)
UTG rails (yeah $40 and they are as rock solid as DD 7.0 so I don't care about the haters)
Ergo Grip ($15 at the time - not pictured in this dated photo)
Verticle Grip ($5 at the time)
Magpul Pmag ($15 at the time)

So all in all about $1245 ($1300 after misc. Tax and any delivery charges). You don't need trigger pins so I left those out. I put them on the AR as an afterthought but they are $60 if you so desire... I did later add a tac light but again not a "must have" but whatever floats your boat.

Back when I did my budget AR the S&W MP15 was not yet an option which I consider probably about the same in terms of quality of the Armalite but the deals are much better on the S&W (the chart rates them higher so if that's important to you ... there you go). So if doing it today I would probably opt for the following:

S&W MP15 w/ Troy rails
EOTech
Magpul stock (pick your flavor)
Upgraded pistol grip (pick your flavor)
Verticle foregrip (pick your flavor)

You can do this entire combo pack for ~$1200-$1300 and have some upgraded parts.

Anyway these are just my thoughts.

faawrenchbndr
01-23-2010, 13:31
I don't know if that was aimed at me, but it seems like it was. Which is odd, since I was agreeing with you...

No Sir,.....not directed toward you.
My apologies if you took it that way.

RonS
01-23-2010, 17:52
Sounds like a good price to me, I was in the gun store 4 hours ago fondling I mean investigating ARs and handled RRA and Armalite flat top carbines, pretty basic rifles really with no rails etc. The Armalite was a little over $1000 and the RRA about a hundred less but I have pretty much decided on the Armalite based on the feel of the rifle, especially the solid feeling CAR stock. I sure do not remember M16s where the bolt carrier felt that tight and slick, that is for sure (that was true for both guns BTW). The RR stock felt sloppy on the tube and rattled and the handguards had a good bit of rotational play in them.

deMontacute
01-23-2010, 19:58
No Sir,.....not directed toward you.
My apologies if you took it that way.
Cool. Please excuse as I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer....

Javelin
01-23-2010, 20:29
Cool. Please excuse as I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer....

I'll second that. :whistling:

:rofl::rofl:::tongueout:

furioso2112
01-23-2010, 21:48
HOLY COW!

AKPoPo and a person who has previously disagreed with him BOTH on the same page AGAINST Armalite? I am impressed.

I considered Armalite when first getting into ARs, lost track of that and got into some of the more current manufacturers that had lot sof positive reviews. I have never read threads "pro-" or "anti-Armalite" (not that this is either, just personal experiences posted here), but before I found GT and Arf, my review of manufacturer sites (biased as they are, obviously) led me to early consideration of an Armalite. Note to self: keep reading the forums.

As the astute previous posters already mentioned, an $800 Armalite is certainly not a bad deal - just a couple things to check out once purchased. That's one of the many great things about an AR platform - start somewhere, go where your experience leads you. Parts abound, experience is a great teacher.