New Colt LE6920 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Colt LE6920

CAInstructorTX
01-18-2010, 13:36
Well, finally went down the black rifle road I guess you could say. Bought it recently, and so far, have no rounds through it, but handling it, I don't see any problems I've sometimes read about concerning fit and finish. I've never really seen that problem for myself, but hey, I might just be lucky. Anyway, I left the shop with a Magpul MOE stock put on, and have on order a MIAD grip kit, and MOE forend. I'm going to leave the detachable carrying handle on, and just buy an optic mount to go on top, (snicker all you want, but call me old fashioned, I like the old school carrying handle look.) I have no need for a quad rail either, ( I haven't reached that rank in the Armchair Army), so rails and vertical foregrips and the like serve no purpose to me. It's a range/fun gun, and I'm not trying to fool myself into thinking I'll be clearing a house with this weapon any time soon. Haha. Besides, for a lot of people, not everyone, but most enthusiasts, there is no practical need for a laser, a designator, vertical foregrip, 3 flashlights, a magnifier, 2 optics, and a kitchen sink to be hanging off a gun anyway, regardless of who you are (see: import cars covered bumper to bumper with vinyl stickers). So yeah, keeping it light, simple, and that should do fine. So far all I have on it is the buttstock, but as soon as I get the rest in, as well as pick an optic to throw on it, I'll post some photos. Wish me luck.

Glockdude1
01-18-2010, 13:37
Congrats on the new rifle. How much OTD?

:cool:

NeverMore1701
01-18-2010, 13:51
Congrats on a nice rifle.

Don't assume what works for you is what others need/want.

CAInstructorTX
01-18-2010, 14:07
I never assume that my view is the end-all/be-all. I'm simply stating what does work for me. To each his own, and for the individuals that shoot 100 or so rounds a year, with all that stuff on their rifle, so be it, and for those who shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds a year with the same setup, same thing. Point is, buy what you want, spend what you want, but in the end, the most important thing you can buy for your gun, besides range time, is bullets to go with it. K.I.S.S. comes to mind, but anyway, to each his own. Makes for sexy magazine covers though, right? Didn't mean to step on toes, just my humble opinion.

lawman800
01-19-2010, 01:30
Here, hope this gives you some ideas on how to do it right... sounds pretty close to what you want, but no kitchen sink.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9767/funny397.jpg

Arr6
01-19-2010, 01:37
Congrats. I love my 6920. I like it keep it stock and still have the iron sights. Might get a red dot optic but that's about it.

RUSH2112
01-19-2010, 05:09
for a lot of people, not everyone, but most enthusiasts, there is no practical need for a laser, a designator, vertical foregrip, 3 flashlights, a magnifier, 2 optics, and a kitchen sink to be hanging off a gun anyway,

Speaking strictly fun factor, lasers and holosights are nifty for a while, but in the end I enjoy iron sights much more.

@ lawman800 that is the greatest picture ever. (The key ring :rofl: )

CAInstructorTX
01-19-2010, 06:52
couldn't have said it better myself Rush, and yes, that photo is awesome, I'm sure there's room for a sink somewhere on there.

Vigilant
01-19-2010, 17:46
Here, hope this gives you some ideas on how to do it right... sounds pretty close to what you want, but no kitchen sink.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9767/funny397.jpg

WHAAAAAAAT? No bayonet?

Rookie. :supergrin:

internal
01-19-2010, 19:03
Why does it matter what other people spend their money on since that seems the be the true focus of your thread.

lawman800
01-19-2010, 20:51
Sorry about the bayonet but I think the Swiss Army knife covered it.

Navitimer
01-19-2010, 21:20
Congrats on the 6920 - they are the gold standard as it relates to M4s. Enjoy!

Alaskapopo
01-20-2010, 00:52
Speaking strictly fun factor, lasers and holosights are nifty for a while, but in the end I enjoy iron sights much more.

@ lawman800 that is the greatest picture ever. (The key ring :rofl: )

I can understand the desire to shoot something obsolete. I get a kick out of firing my cap and ball revolvers and precussion single shot 50 caliber Kentucky pistol as well. But when it is time to hit the target with precision and speed glass beats iron.
Here is my Colt. I love it.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/ColtDesc.jpg
Pat

RMTactical
01-20-2010, 02:53
I agree.

I actually like irons and all, but if I have the choice, I would much prefer quality optics. They make you faster and more effective.

RUSH2112
01-20-2010, 03:52
Like I said, for pure enjoyment, I have more fun using iron sights. I would never go to a two way range and leave an aimpoint sitting on the dresser.

I forgot to say congrats on the 6920.

Congrats on the 6920!!

Alaskapopo
01-20-2010, 04:01
Like I said, for pure enjoyment, I have more fun using iron sights. I would never go to a two way range and leave an aimpoint sitting on the dresser.

I forgot to say congrats on the 6920.

Congrats on the 6920!!

To each his own. I enjoy competing with a rifle too and optics makes shooting more fun as you can hit things faster and further out. I also enjoy shooting a gun with just irons from time to time.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/Saber.jpg
Pat

Starbelly
01-20-2010, 13:08
Congrats. I Bought my first AR a little while back, also a Colt 6920, and I love mine. Like you, it will be kept mostly stock, but I did end up trying a cheap red dot that I bought for my 10/22 and It is really fun to shoot with. I will end up getting some high end optics for it, but that will probably be it... I will spend my money on ammo and spare parts as need. So far, I am getting close to 1000 rnds and no hiccups of any kind. I do have to admit that the red dot does make it more fun to shoot, you just raise it up from low ready and where ever the dot is, that's where the bullet goes. I do wonder if I am missing some valuable technique by not working on getting better with the irons though. Maybe I will switch back to the carry handle rear sight?

CAInstructorTX
01-20-2010, 15:47
Optics or no optics, it's always a good idea to atleast learn and practice the fundamentals of rifle shooting with iron sights. Whether or not you ever use them practically, it's still a valuable skill to atleast have in your arsenal. And going back to what I said at first, I'm not trying to take away from what anyone chooses to put on their weapon, I'm simply stating what I choose to have on mine, and why. My idea of a simple weapon platform comes from experience, and in my mind, for my purposes, I'm setting mine up accordingly. Obviously that's hard to explain to some, but can't win 'em all I guess. Anyway, that's the rifle I chose to invest in, and the modifications I chose to invest in as well, and that's the reason for this post, as well as to get some feedback on the setup.

Alaskapopo
01-20-2010, 17:00
Optics or no optics, it's always a good idea to atleast learn and practice the fundamentals of rifle shooting with iron sights. Whether or not you ever use them practically, it's still a valuable skill to atleast have in your arsenal. And going back to what I said at first, I'm not trying to take away from what anyone chooses to put on their weapon, I'm simply stating what I choose to have on mine, and why. My idea of a simple weapon platform comes from experience, and in my mind, for my purposes, I'm setting mine up accordingly. Obviously that's hard to explain to some, but can't win 'em all I guess. Anyway, that's the rifle I chose to invest in, and the modifications I chose to invest in as well, and that's the reason for this post, as well as to get some feedback on the setup.
With respect in your original post you made a value judgment about what you felt most people needed.

"Besides, for a lot of people, not everyone, but most enthusiasts, there is no practical need for a laser, a designator, vertical foregrip, 3 flashlights, a magnifier, 2 optics, and a kitchen sink to be hanging off a gun anyway, regardless of who you are (see: import cars covered bumper to bumper with vinyl stickers)."

Myself and some others gave you feedback and refuted that claim. If your happy with your choice that is what matters. However if this is a serious gun for self defense the basic approach is not the best. The so called keep it simple stupid is stupid. Anything that increases my chance of winning (gunfight or rifle match depending on the gun) is going to be put on the rifle.
Pat

DasBulk
03-14-2010, 11:27
With respect in your original post you made a value judgment about what you felt most people needed.

"Besides, for a lot of people, not everyone, but most enthusiasts, there is no practical need for a laser, a designator, vertical foregrip, 3 flashlights, a magnifier, 2 optics, and a kitchen sink to be hanging off a gun anyway, regardless of who you are (see: import cars covered bumper to bumper with vinyl stickers)."

Myself and some others gave you feedback and refuted that claim. If your happy with your choice that is what matters. However if this is a serious gun for self defense the basic approach is not the best. The so called keep it simple stupid is stupid. Anything that increases my chance of winning (gunfight or rifle match depending on the gun) is going to be put on the rifle.
Pat
You make a good point. As far as lasers and lights are concerned.
However, I think we can all agree that a laser target designator unit sitting on top of your hand guard is dead weight. It serves ABSOLUTELY no use in the civilian market. Whens the last time you heard anyone call up an airstrike with laser guided JDAMs to deter a home invasion.
Im a big fan of the KISS rifle like CAInstructor, but I can see the benefit of a good weapon mounted flashlight and maybe a laser as well. VFGs and the like are all personal preference, but I would much rather see that user become proficient in a STANDARD set up before going out and buying the newest and baddest tactical tupperwear the same day he buys his AR. Same concept of being proficient on irons before you go out and buy glass that cost more than your wives wedding ring. Learn to shoot, and shoot well, a standard off the shelf rifle. Then, if you still feel like it, roony that thing up the way you want.

Alaskapopo
03-14-2010, 12:55
You make a good point. As far as lasers and lights are concerned.
However, I think we can all agree that a laser target designator unit sitting on top of your hand guard is dead weight. It serves ABSOLUTELY no use in the civilian market. Whens the last time you heard anyone call up an airstrike with laser guided JDAMs to deter a home invasion.
Im a big fan of the KISS rifle like CAInstructor, but I can see the benefit of a good weapon mounted flashlight and maybe a laser as well. VFGs and the like are all personal preference, but I would much rather see that user become proficient in a STANDARD set up before going out and buying the newest and baddest tactical tupperwear the same day he buys his AR. Same concept of being proficient on irons before you go out and buy glass that cost more than your wives wedding ring. Learn to shoot, and shoot well, a standard off the shelf rifle. Then, if you still feel like it, roony that thing up the way you want.

If I could call in an air strike by adding a gizmo to my rifle I would. :supergrin:
Pat

lawman800
03-14-2010, 13:14
Sometimes on a gang fight call or when pulling over traffic on a car blasting stupid rap beats for the whole housing tract to share, I wish I can call in an airstrike.

ctaggart
03-15-2010, 21:56
CAInstructorTx, I know exactly what you're saying with the love for simplicity. I've enclosed a picture of my rifle that I use for work. The only thing(s) I would add would be an eotech with RRA Dominator rail to cowitness and a tritium/fiberoptic front post.

The more crap you have on your rifle, the heavier it is and you have a bigger factor of eventual failure. Weight, I believe, is a big factor in a gun I could be clearing a school with, which may take at least an hour. I'm more than confident in my shooting skills with the gun I have with just iron sights (which are almost never going to fail me). Just my opinion. Others are free to agree or disagree.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm95/Ctaggart/IMG00163-20091122-1910.jpg

furioso2112
03-16-2010, 19:22
I've carried my rifle and plenty more many a mile, and the weight of my rifle has never been any more than an afterthought, generally in comparison. Oh, yeah, this rifle is lighter/heavier than that one I carried for 3 months and countless miles. While I do consider weight, I have never decided not to install an item, to change an item, or not purchase an item based on its weight. Likely, I have not considered all the options.

I do have one 'stock' AR - plastic handguards, typical grip, stock, etc. I have a Sig 556 with an aluminum rail, and would highly recommend getting rid of their crap plastic handguards to any range shooter or work user - that's a relatively front-heavy gun, too; I have a competition AR, complete with 12" aluminum rail, fat grip, and a number of items on it that I wouldn't put on other ARs, but I consider worth the expense, weight, etc. because they let me push my limits with the 'latest and greatest' - or at least the latest and greatest parts for me. Everything on it is used and increases my speed and either increases accuracy, handling, or reliability, and does not compromise any of those factors.

OP - I believe you when you say you intended message was 'to each their own' but part of it wasn't worded that way, that's why some have come with the comments we have. Glad you like your rifle and got what you wanted.

To say something serves absolutely no use in the civilian market is wrong. There is nothing in the 'military market' that does not have an equal or greater use for or by civilians. You just need to know the number to call for an airstrike. Some items make more things necessary. If I had 10,000 loaded magazines, for example, I would need a donkey to cary them for me, and food, water, and health care items for the donkey. Not to mention a shovel, a bucket, and a rope.

Some people are of the mind that 'less is more.' Less is not more. More is more. more people shooting more configurations of ARs more often more safely is definitely more, so I applaud your idea of KISS for your application, and recommend that you consider using some of the other items, just because you can. Plenty of people can't, legally, and many of them are our neighbors. Happy Shooting.

furioso2112
03-16-2010, 19:23
If I could call in an air strike by adding a gizmo to my rifle I would. :supergrin:
Pat

HA! Truer words have not been written. AS true, yes. More true, no.

DasBulk
03-16-2010, 21:15
To say something serves absolutely no use in the civilian market is wrong. There is nothing in the 'military market' that does not have an equal or greater use for or by civilians. You just need to know the number to call for an airstrike. Some items make more things necessary. If I had Shooting.

Hah wow man...

Im just going to go ahead and stick to my previous statements of it serving ABSOLUTELY, no purpose on a civilian rifle. If you disagree.. Ill tell you what. When the zombie apocalypse does happen, you'll have the honor of guiding in that first drop, there Chief.

lawman800
03-16-2010, 21:25
Hah wow man...
Im just going to go ahead and stick to my previous statements of it serving ABSOLUTELY, no porpous on a civilian rifle. If you disagree.. Ill tell you what. When the zombie apocalypse does happen, you'll have the honor of guiding in that first drop, there Chief.

As the Battle of Yonkers proved, conventional military weapons are not effective against a zombie horde.

Daisy bombs, cluster bombs, MLRS "steel rain", flechettes, claymores, area denial weapons, HE warheads, RPG's, artillery, airstrikes, all are pretty much useless unless you happen to get a piece of shrapnel into the brain.

The Army's mistake was to place all of its faith into the conventional weapons which would be useful against living creatures without thinking about the backup plan.

All the heavy ordnance did was to create a lot of blown up zombies that are still ambulatory and dangerous. There were also lots of incidences where a zombie was blown in half but the top half of the torso was still able to crawl with its 2 arms toward the soldiers, who did not look down until it had already bitten the soldier in the ankle or shin.

If you did happen to blow one up to smithereens, yes, then you have defeated that one zombie, but for every single zombie that you disintegrate or blow up beyond efficacy, there are going to be tens, if not hundreds more that will keep advancing, undeterred. They know no fear nor pain.

Careful, aimed fire with a rifle or carbine is the only effective stand off strategy against a zombie horde. Shotguns and pistols are too limited in their range if you have to engage a horde. You will be overrun when you run out of ammo. With a rifle or carbine, you can keep a distance of 100 yards or more as you plink them off one by one.

lawman800
03-16-2010, 21:28
BTW, napalm or incendiary weapons will destroy a zombie once it burns them down beyond a point where there's any muscle or tendons to move the corpse. However, it might take longer than you are comfortable with and in the meantime, you have a lot of flaming, walking zombies that will set everything else around you on fire as well while they troddle about aimlessly.

DasBulk
03-16-2010, 21:32
I like the way you think.

Kegel
03-16-2010, 21:34
I can understand the desire to shoot something obsolete. I get a kick out of firing my cap and ball revolvers and precussion single shot 50 caliber Kentucky pistol as well. But when it is time to hit the target with precision and speed glass beats iron.
Here is my Colt. I love it.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/ColtDescription.jpg
Pat

Theres nothing left of that "colt". Remember, Colts are the best. Theres no need to replace 90% of the rifle with aftermarket parts. ;)

All you would have to do is add a better barrel and you'd have a Noveske (almost). LOL.

Edit...really nice rifle, by the way. :)

I have the same scope (only with an ADM mount). You know of any flip-up's that work well with it?

Edit....Picture mysteriously disappeared...hmmm. LOL.

lawman800
03-16-2010, 21:37
I like the way you think.

I'm just trying to save some lives because if we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it.

I don't want that guy to call down civilian airstrikes from his buddies at the local airstrip flying their Cessnas and Piper Cherokees and then find out that the zombie horde is still advancing on his trailer park.

Kegel
03-17-2010, 21:17
Alaskapopo, could you fix the photobucket link? I want to check out that "Colt" again. :whistling:

furioso2112
03-17-2010, 23:08
BTW, napalm or incendiary weapons will destroy a zombie once it burns them down beyond a point where there's any muscle or tendons to move the corpse. However, it might take longer than you are comfortable with and in the meantime, you have a lot of flaming, walking zombies that will set everything else around you on fire as well while they troddle about aimlessly.

THIS is what I'm talking about. If I'm defending against the zombie hordes (plural because I presume that there will be more than one flavor of zombie - the horde of ex-human zombies, elephant zombies, chimpanzee zombies, dog zombies, fish zombies, etc.), then I am going to be experiencing a rather zen high of being right, while all the no-guns-nuts who live around me hope that I don't say 'I told you so' and will throw them a bone, or maybe even a bone-shaped gun and a box of ammo.

Just so the nay-sayers never forget, I HOPE that the zombies will burn a good long while, wandering around, setting other things on fire, dropping pieces as they stumble around. I want the most horrific scene possible to unfold. We all know that when the zombies attack and are fought back into submission, the gun-grabbers are going to deny it ever happened, and demand that 'surplus' civilian arms be destroyed. A few pictures of burning zombies to remind them is better than a few pictures of just regular non-flaming zombies. I mean, really - which are they more scared of, some creepy-ish dead guy saying 'brains' and ambling around, or a burning elephant zombie maniacally catterwalling down the street?

Yeah, I'll stick with my stance 'if the military has it, I want to have access to get proficient in its use in case I ever get to.' In fact, not just the military. If it exists even as an idea only, I want one. Maybe two. Otherwise, it's anti-civilian-ownership logic: the military only needs to design items that currently have 'no civilian use' in order to weed out civilian access to effective arms. I'll pass on that dish, and take an extra helping of "if a military item exists, I want some."

Heck, when the AR was trotted out, it was widely percieved to have no civilian application - same can be said about pretty much any military firearm or weapon, but many of them have been made available to civilians, and are now obsolete, replaced by more useful items that some say have no civilian application.

By federal statute, able-bodied males between age 18 and...is it 48? are part of the US militia. That includes me.

remat
03-17-2010, 23:19
I keep seeing kitchen sink being mentioned, but the pics are lacking. I don't think any of you even have kitchen sinks attached to your AR's.