Not a caliber war! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Not a caliber war!

GoonGlock21
01-18-2010, 14:01
Im stuck i dont know if i want a G23 .40 cal or G32 .357 sig. I dont know Which way to go, i know they are both good rounds and i dont want to get in to " this round has more stoping power than that round" as that is all hearsay, i want to know which is the more reliable, more accurate round. Id really like to hear from those who have shot both rounds, espically in these two platforms.
Thanx Goon

Brass Nazi
01-18-2010, 14:23
Both of those are equal in reliablilty and performance. I would stick with the straight wall cartridge as it is easier to reload for if you are into that. You will not be able to tell a difference in accuracy in a gun like a Glock.

Mrs_Esterhouse
01-18-2010, 14:50
They are both very reliable and accurate, but the slight edge goes to the 357SIG. Remember, with 357SIG we are feeding a 9mm bullet into a 10mm sized chamber hole. With 40SW, it's a 10mm sized bullet feeding into a 10mm sized hole - less room for error.

Brucev
01-18-2010, 15:42
Im stuck i dont know if i want a G23 .40 cal or G32 .357 sig. I dont know Which way to go, i know they are both good rounds and i dont want to get in to " this round has more stoping power than that round" as that is all hearsay, i want to know which is the more reliable, more accurate round. Id really like to hear from those who have shot both rounds, espically in these two platforms.
Thanx Goon

There is essentially no meaningful difference in the results obtained with either the .40 S&W or the .357 Sig. Both are very reliable, very effective and very accurate. For SD/HD, either round would be an excellent choice. Educate yourself and then make an informed decision. Do not pay attention to hype and hot air put out by armchair commandos. Use your common sense as you read and weigh the facts. For SD/HD either round is going to be a very good choice. Far more important is that after making a decision one practice sufficiently to learn how to best use the pistol/caliber you have selected.

Scott in Houston
01-18-2010, 15:43
I personally am waiting on a G23 until the 4th gen is available only because of the threads I've read about their issues when using an attached light. I have a G19 with a light attached (Insight WX150), and it's flawless. However, I now have the bug for a larger caliber in that frame size to use as a night stand gun. The G32 is my pick and I should have it this weekend.

I currently own a G27 (.40) and love it. I'm sure if I got a G23, it wouldn't have the FTF issue (with a light attached), but I don't want to chance it, so a G32 is NEXT. And I'll end up with a G23 later down the line.

The .40 cartridge is VERY easy to find and cheaper than .357 SIG, so that's a big advantage for the G23... keep that in mind as well.

edrobert
01-18-2010, 15:48
I doubt anyone shot with either would be able to tell the difference.

.45Super-Man
01-18-2010, 15:59
It makes no difference! If you get a G23 just get a .357SIG conversion barrel or vice versa.

fredj338
01-18-2010, 17:33
It makes no difference! If you get a G23 just get a .357SIG conversion barrel or vice versa.
This is what i would do. I have shot both & prefer the recoil of the 357sig for faster followup shots. I also like rounds traveling above 1300fps. While it may be argued that high vel. impacts & the trauma caused may not add to wounding, I'll take anything I can get in a gunfight.

coal
01-18-2010, 18:55
Thanx Goon

.357sig = proven (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868400), novel, costly
.40sw = proven (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868400), common, less costly
9mm = proven (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868400), common least costly
.45acp = proven (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868400), common, costly

Me:
1) 9mm: Citizen: Caliber Acedemic? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934135)
2) .45acp
3) See #1 and #2

PghJim
01-18-2010, 21:26
I have both the G23 and G32. With their best loads, the nod goes to the 357 Sig and far as accuracy and long range use. It is true that 357 Sigs are harder to reload, but not that bad. I size the body first using a 40 S&W die then the neck and shoulder with very little lub. I carry the 357 Sig with 125gr Cor-Bon JHP's. I have owned both for over 12 years and shot just about everything execpt a person, and I hope I never have to do that. That particular 357 sig round out of a G32 is very devrstating. However, I have carried the 40 S&W with 135 gr. Cor-Bon, 155 gr. GD and 165gr GS. I believe the 180 grain bullets are not as effective. However, I have to agree to buy one and the conversion barrel for the other tp start. I am sure everone has an opinion, but the KKM barrels have served me well as does my Jarvis in 40 S&W.