Educate Me About AR Handguards [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me About AR Handguards

doc540
01-19-2010, 11:27
I'm putting together a non-LEO, non-combat, shoot-once-in-a-while SHTF Sabre Defence SBR.

I'd like to have rail options.

I don't need a floater.

But the prices for railed handguards/foregrips are all over the map.

Polymer? Aluminum? Unobtainium?

What's the best quality railed handguard for the most practical price?

And why?

Thanks

internal
01-19-2010, 11:34
The DD Omega rail has had some sales lately for $179-$199.

IMO that would be the best rail for the $$$.

Kona2004
01-19-2010, 11:46
I have the Magpul MOE on one of my rifles and really like the look and feel of it. The only accessory I wanted to mount was a light so I just got the following MI rail to attach to the handguard.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/MCTAR-03-2T.jpg

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MCTAR-03

kgain673
01-19-2010, 13:04
Look around for some used ones like YHM if your lucky. As long as they are a good manufacturer you will not have any problems other then cosmetic. People may be willing to trade you if your willing to part with something you don't need. Most of the good labels are hard as rock and you should not worry about bent metal, just scratches. I would never buy new expensive rails as long as they were not bent or stolen.

Briley9
01-19-2010, 13:05
I've used several quad-rail fores in the last couple years...

1) UTG 2 piece - $60 - well made, nice finish & fit, bit heavy, range use, best bang for $

2) Mid West Ind 2 piece - $135 - well made, good fit and finish, good tight fit

3) Surefire Mid 2 piece - $205 - very well made, good fit and finish, good tight fit, heavy

4) Samson 10" - $275 - very well made, very good finish and tight fit, very heavy

Sold 1, 3 & 4, kept the MI 2 piece. Not too heavy, felt the best to me...

Quad-rails fall in the personal preference category. You'll have to handle a few before you get the feel; especially, the weight difference, as in the balance of the rifle. Carbine & Mid length gas systems - will feel different to you than to me using different brand quad-rails.

Hope this helps...

ottomatic
01-19-2010, 15:46
YHM is the best buy for the buck. No reason not to go freefloating

doc540
01-19-2010, 16:46
YHM is the best buy for the buck. No reason not to go freefloating

Is a free floater easy to install if you've never done one before?

any special tools or pieces required?

if so, do they come with the floater?

thnx

txpitdog
01-19-2010, 16:59
daniel defense omega rails do not require special tools, if that helps your decision

Seattle206
01-19-2010, 17:06
Plus 1 on the DD Omega. Solid lock up and great machining.

lawman800
01-20-2010, 02:28
I've been told to go with the mostest and bestest I can afford, like the Daniel Defense or Omega Industries. Then again, if the $50-60 UTG works the same and you're only using it casually and not like a soldier, then what the hey? By the time you wear out 4 sets of UTG, you're still ahead of 1 set of DD or OI rails... and I doubt you can go through 4 sets of UTG in a lifetime unless you like throwing them in front of trains.

JASV.17
01-20-2010, 12:18
Is a free floater easy to install if you've never done one before?

any special tools or pieces required?

if so, do they come with the floater?

thnx

Some FF are drop-in, two halves that bolt together.
Other FF are one piece, and require more work and tools (that yes, you'll have to buy). I think most often, this would include an AR wrench. You'll also have to remove the FSB and flash hider/gas tube to slide the rail on. Here's an example...

http://www.laruetactical.us/pics/handguard_video_0001.wmv

For a non-ff, I have this:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Troy-Ind-Tactical-Free-Float-Carbine-p/troy%20mrf%20di.htm

I love it. Took me about 10min to install. Hardest part is holding down the delta ring. Would be easier with an extra set of hands.

doc540
01-20-2010, 15:22
Some FF are drop-in, two halves that bolt together.
Other FF are one piece, and require more work and tools (that yes, you'll have to buy). I think most often, this would include an AR wrench. You'll also have to remove the FSB and flash hider/gas tube to slide the rail on. Here's an example...

http://www.laruetactical.us/pics/handguard_video_0001.wmv

For a non-ff, I have this:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Troy-Ind-Tactical-Free-Float-Carbine-p/troy%20mrf%20di.htm

I love it. Took me about 10min to install. Hardest part is holding down the delta ring. Would be easier with an extra set of hands.

Thanks for the info.

I can do the drop-in's.

I use work gloves and wrap a piece of thick chord around the ring with two pieces hanging down each side. I pull down with both hands while my wife (that second set of hands) removes the other guard.

Works pretty good.

duncan
01-20-2010, 15:34
Love my Magpul MOE handguards. But for a rock solid rifle, nothing more rigid than a ff tube.

Jitterbug
01-20-2010, 16:02
I'm new to AR's and don't own one yet, but I can't help but think, man that's a lot of money for a piece of metal to hang stuff off of. Of course they do look cool too.

I like the Magpul MOE's (price) and may go with a carbine length gas system rather then a mid length because of it.

Then again I'm trying to think of what exactly I need a rail for?

A white light might be nice, but I really can't think of anything else at the moment...but that may change 1000 rounds and 6 months later.

duncan
01-20-2010, 16:34
The key is to have adaptability and a rigid platform for optics and sights. Few options with old school handguards

BlutoBlutarsky
01-20-2010, 16:53
DD Omega if you want to float it and Troy drop in if you don't. I picked up the Troy for $125 shipped ans it is rock solid.

HogGlocker
01-20-2010, 17:05
I use a KAC M4RAS.....Knights Armament...Mil contractor, standard issue on our M4. Sturdy, rugged as hell, well made, solid mount...non FF.

Online sites have them from upper $200 to mid $300....not cheap.

I got mine NIB, CAGE and NSN numbers in tact on MIL contract packaging, with 9 rails for way less than going rate. You can find used ones for a tad over $100 on several sites. KAC also sells slightly blemished ones for around $150...?? Have not seen those though.

Troy MRF-DI is also super nice and very well made. This rail is standard on one version of the M&P15. Around $150.

Daniel Defense Omega rail [lite?] is also a superb rail. They run in the mid $200 range I think.....BCM had them on sale for $179 a little while back.

Midwest Industries is also very good equipment.

I had no need for FF and I know KAC quality and reliability so for me it was a no brainer.

Lots of good input on this threade.....lots of good rails out there.

doc540
01-20-2010, 21:25
thnx for all the info

went with a MI non-floater from a member here

$70 shipped, so that outta work for non-union use

FireForged
01-21-2010, 07:38
The only thing I can say for sure is that I realized in short order that it is alot better to remove them with a tool specifically for handguards.

lawman800
01-21-2010, 08:50
The AR handguard removal tool is about $15 from www.sportsmansguide.com and I think I need one too....

furioso2112
01-21-2010, 09:27
I never had a HUGE problem getting the Delta-ring down and handguards off, but I bought the $12 ($15?) tool and it is quite a bit easier. It turned a process that occaionally took a minute or two and turned it into a reliable couple of seconds.

Apparently you already chose a rail - can't go wrong with that. Either it serves your purpose and you'll be happy with it, or you can sell it for about what you paid for it and you'll have a better idea of what you want and don't for the next try.

smokin762
01-21-2010, 10:10
The AR handguard removal tool is about $15 from www.sportsmansguide.com (http://www.sportsmansguide.com) and I think I need one too....

The handguard tool is nice. I have one and now I don't have to wait for a friend to come over to help with removing/installing them anymore.

I would recommend going to the Hardware Store and replacing the plastic tube with one that covers the whole thing so it does not scratch the Delta Ring like I did. :crying:

doc540
01-21-2010, 10:55
Countryboy and countrygirl method:

Stand rifle on butt

Wrap piece of chord around ring leaving two pieces hanging down on each side of rifle

With work gloves, pull down evenly on both pieces of chord releasing ring

Countrygirl removes old guard pieces, installs new guard pieces

Countryboy eases up on rope pieces

Thank and kiss countrygirl for helping with gun project:wavey:

smokin762
01-22-2010, 08:49
Countryboy and countrygirl method:

Stand rifle on butt

Wrap piece of chord around ring leaving two pieces hanging down on each side of rifle

With work gloves, pull down evenly on both pieces of chord releasing ring

Countrygirl removes old guard pieces, installs new guard pieces

Countryboy eases up on rope pieces

Thank and kiss countrygirl for helping with gun project:wavey:

Ah! Those who work on guns together, stay together. :rofl:

J/K.:supergrin:

glockfanbob
01-23-2010, 08:46
Tagged, some good info in here.

Scanner85
01-24-2010, 02:39
I know KAC has the current Mil contract for the SOPMOD kit, but I thought I read Daniel Defense already has the contract for the next gen Mil contract, like SOPMOD II or something like that?

faawrenchbndr
01-24-2010, 07:04
I use a KAC M4RAS.....Knights Armament...Mil contractor, standard issue on our M4.
Sturdy, rugged as hell, well made, solid mount...non FF.

Online sites have them from upper $200 to mid $300....not cheap.

I got mine NIB, CAGE and NSN numbers in tact on MIL contract packaging, with 9 rails
for way less than going rate. You can find used ones for a tad over $100 on several sites.
KAC also sells slightly blemished ones for around $150...?? Have not seen those though.......

My Colt M4 with a $150 "blemish" set. Included KAC covers & VFG.
The blem was a scratch that is all but covered with installed.
Sharpie made the blemish all but invisable.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/ColtM4Carbine.jpg