Mossberg 500A Upgrades [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500A Upgrades

CarRamRod
01-19-2010, 12:55
I have a Mossberg 500A that I bought a few years ago strictly for HD. Its the SG Big-5 always has on sale (20 inch barrel). Anyway, I haven't done anything to it except shoot it every few months for piece of mind. Are there any parts on there that should be upgraded to make sure it goes boom each and every time? I'm not talking about tacticool parts either. Is there some plastic or metal on there that are prone to early wear and should be replaced with something after-market? I realize that this SG is not the best out there but it was all I could afford at the time and I want to keep it functional for years to come. So is this an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation or are there good upgrades?

israel 54
01-19-2010, 13:45
A barrel clamp and tac- light are simple and necessary. It doesnt have to be fancy, just functional.

Jon_R
01-19-2010, 14:02
If you have a lot of rounds through it replacing the magazine tube springs and possibly the follower if worn might be warranted. Other then that they are built pretty solid.

vafish
01-19-2010, 14:05
The plastic thumb safety occasionally breaks. You can order metal ones from Brownells or Midway. Mossberg Metal ones run about $17. Vang Comp's oversize run about $29. Brownells has one with an over sized hump for $19.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=52902/sku/Moss__500_Safety_Button

I've never broken one, but some folks don't like the plastic trigger guards. They also can be replaced with a metal unit.

A Wolfe extra power mag spring wouldn't hurt either. Although a new Mossberg spring is all of $5.

CarRamRod
01-20-2010, 15:34
A barrel clamp and tac- light are simple and necessary. It doesnt have to be fancy, just functional.

What do you have?

CTfam
01-21-2010, 09:28
I have yet to change out the plastic safety but I will.... I really like the Spec Ops stock and find I shoot my shotgun much more now that I have it. Training is always a good thing. I also have a TLR-1 on a cheap mag tube mount and it works great!

A good light and a stock that fits you is all you really need.

Thrillhouse700
01-21-2010, 11:25
I have the spec ops stock on my big 5 mossberg500a. Its awesome. One of my buddies is not a fan of it, but everyone else that has shot it loves it.

The one thing about our big 5 guns is the slide action tube, it doesn't really have one. The big 5 guns were made to be cost effective (If you have the same one I am thinking about). If you look at the end of your slide and there is no retaining nut then more than likely the slide and the "action tube" are built in as one piece. So if you ever break your plastic slide (don't know how you would but just incase) you will need to buy a slide action tube, retaining nut, and new slide.

Hope it helps a little bit.