Trimming with a Progressive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trimming with a Progressive

buyobuyo
01-19-2010, 13:20
I recently picked up a LNL AP that I plan to use for loading 9mm, which is what I shoot the most. :wavey:

However, I was wondering if there is a quick & efficient way to trim on the press if I decide to move my rifle loading over to the progressive.

Thanks

Jon_R
01-19-2010, 13:40
Dillon makes a power trimmer that mounts like a die. I don't think there is any reason it could not be used in a non dillon press.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23636/catid/8/Dillon__039_s_Rapid_Trim_1200B_Case_Trimmer

It is not cheap so it just comes down to volume and how much you value your time. Sort of like reloading to begin with. :)

Jumper
01-19-2010, 16:36
I trim .223 on my LnL AP with the Dillon RT1200. With the case feeder it goes very fast. The Hornady press top is a little too thick to use the dillon and the vacuum attachment together but you can squeeze it in there. But I found I like it better without the vac attachment. Also, I don't use the dillon trimmer to re-size. Just trim. I put a resizing die in the first station so that when the case advances to the trimmer station all the trimmer has to do is cut.

Occasionally the trimmer would vibrate loose so I had to anchor it in position with some zip ties. The shims Hornady will provide would probably work to. Also, you know the Hornady is a good press when every case trimmed vary's in length by no more than .001" and very rarely up to .002". Checking cases for length variation gets boring rapidly because there all the same. :cool:

Spoklahoma
01-19-2010, 19:08
Jumper, do you also have a way to chamfer / debur using the progressive?

buyobuyo
01-19-2010, 19:47

That was going to be my next question. Does it take care of both while trimming?

fredj338
01-19-2010, 21:43
IMO, the only way to run rifle loads on a progressive is to use the RCBS 'X' die. Trim once hten size in the 'X' die as part of your regular reloading. It's the only way to fly.

Jumper
01-20-2010, 07:01

Not the way I have it set up but there is a manufacturer that makes a bit for the Dillon that trims, chamfers and deburrs. I probably ought to get one, it would save significant time when your processing batches of 500 and more. Sorry I don't know who makes it but I ran across it before I had a Dillon trimmer.

buyobuyo
01-20-2010, 08:16
RCBS makes a cutter head for their electric trimmer that cuts, chamfers, and deburs. Maybe it fits the Dillon too.

RLDS45S
01-20-2010, 18:28
RCBS makes a cutter head for their electric trimmer that cuts, chamfers, and deburs. Maybe it fits the Dillon too.

Nope two different animals.

Best deal is the Giruad, by hand you can do a lot of trimming in no time with chamfering and deburring.