Troy Folding Battle Rear Sight (P/N 1614001-2) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Troy Folding Battle Rear Sight (P/N 1614001-2)

txpitdog
01-19-2010, 15:25
I just received the Troy Folding Battle Sight I ordered from Cheaper Than Dirt. After tax and shpping, the total was $146. Damn that's a lot, now that I think about it. Oh well, I had the money set aside for it, so that's what the cash was for.

Anyway, the sight is very well built, and the spring lock up in both the up and down positions is very solid and tight. I installed it at the T1 position, and it folds down flat at the top of the receiver just over the bolt assist. There is a push button on the side to help release the lock-up and allow the sight to change positions. The spring in the button is nice and solid, and there is absolutely no wobble whatsoever anywhere on the sight.

The windage adjustment is more of a thumb wheel than a hex-key or big knob adjustment. I haven't jacked with it yet, but i'll provide more detail once i take the rifle for a spin.

My only complaint is that the "down" position on the sight requires the ghost-ring sized aperture to be in place. In other words if you needed to flip up the rear sight quickly (if the red dot goes out or breaks), you would have to take the manual step of flipping the apertures after raising the rear sight. For my eyesight, the ghost-ring is near useless. I'd prefer to have the smaller aperture be the default setting. Good news is that it appears you can disassemble this part of the sight and flip the aperture piece around to accomplish this. Given that the quickest that I will ever need to switch from red dot to irons is probably in between scratching my rear end at the range, this inconvenience isn't by any means a knock on the quality of this sight.

After installing the sight, I played around with the witness between the iron sights and my Primary Arms M3 clone. The red dot sits right on top of the front sight pin when on, and the iron sights line up perfectly in the lower third of the sight picture when off. Perfecto!

Fortunately, my BCM lower is en route, so I will be able to get it all together and shoot it. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, and i hope this review will help others.

Yes....pics to follow...on another thread....after I have the whole thing together.

mvician
01-19-2010, 15:51
My only complaint is that the "down" position on the sight requires the ghost-ring sized aperture to be in place.

They are the top of the line in BUIS, and being a back up, as in "oh poop my optic is down", the bigger aperture is what is preferred by most. :supergrin:

faawrenchbndr
01-19-2010, 16:15
They are a great BUIS,.....but,
Cheaper than Dirt,...they aint!

NeverMore1701
01-19-2010, 17:17
IMO, Troy BUIS are the best out there. I've never had any kind of problem with the few pairs I've had.