Double Checking Reloads Before Use [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Double Checking Reloads Before Use

LukeG
01-19-2010, 15:49
Hey Guys (and Gals), 45ACP has been a pain for me to find lately and I have access to quality reloads (not lead) from a local company (GS Customs in Tampa). I have friends that use them and so far so good. I have read a lot about the Glocks not liking reloads and in some cases resulting in KB's. So I would like to use reloads because I cans save money in the long run, but I want to be safe with it. I have gotten an LE Wilson 45 Case Gage Checker that should let me know if the case is deformed in any way. I was thinking of taking it one step further though...

Would it be feasible to get a small digital scale and weigh each round to check for consistency in weight and make sure there isn't one with a double charge of powder? From what I have read it seems like the case or an excess of powder is the cause of most of the KB's.

Any thoughts or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Luke

Snapper2
01-19-2010, 21:56
Seems like alot of trouble. Why not go an extra step and reload? Weighing each round isnt reliable. Too much variation in brass and bullets. If you trust someones reloads, just dont rapid fire. A squib round cause a KB faster than a DC.

RWBlue
01-20-2010, 12:50
This is not going to work.

Bullets have been known to be off by 1 gr.
Brass can be off a grain.
Powder should be consistant, doesn't have to be exact to fire reliably.

Either go to the effort of reloading or trust the manufacturer.

CanyonMan
01-20-2010, 15:36
Seems like alot of trouble. Why not go an extra step and reload? Weighing each round isnt reliable. Too much variation in brass and bullets. If you trust someones reloads, just dont rapid fire. A squib round cause a KB faster than a DC.

I agree with my friend here, IF i am understanding you correctly. I would NOT buy reloads from another source. I would reload them myself, or buy factory loads. Weighing each load as snapper said is not a good idea. To many varibles as he said.

Simple put, and i agree with snapper. reload your own, or get factory loads and stick with them.......

CanyonMan

Gunnut 45/454
01-20-2010, 15:45
I'd say if they are selling ammo then they are insured and lincensed to do so correct? Shoot away!! If they are not stay far far away!!:whistling: They do have to post there lincense to manufacture ammo where you buy it!

cmspeedy
01-20-2010, 16:00
I have a rule of never shooting other peoples reloads. There are some real idiots out there and all it takes is one double charge to have a serious accident.

After you have gone through all the steps you just mentioned - you might as well have loaded it yourself as you should be able to turn out at least 250 rounds per hour on a Dillon 550. Invest the $500 or so to get a basic set up and never look back. If you shoot .45 alot you will thank yourself later.

I was intimidated and now I love reloading - very rewarding to outshoot others with ammo you assembled.

I won't sell my ammo to anybody - WAY too much liability and way too many lawyers.

recycooler
01-20-2010, 16:08
+1 on reloading,I spend today in the "room" with 500 bullets making them into shootable stuff.Dillon 550

CanyonMan
01-20-2010, 17:26
I'd say if they are selling ammo then they are insured and lincensed to do so correct? Shoot away!! If they are not stay far far away!!:whistling: They do have to post there lincense to manufacture ammo where you buy it!

Gunnut, I like your post and usually agree. But bud, there are sooooo many hombres out there that say they are " lincensed " My dog has a lincense but can't reload for squat. haha.

I do NOT at all mean to be rude to you, but man, to many flakes loading bullets out there. I would not buy a reloaded bullet from anyone.

Again I stand on this: Reload your own, or buy factory. I have reloaded for 40 + years. Trust what i do, and do not sell them. I never have a problem cause i am a dope that does every load one at a time if it takes one hour to do 50 rds. Done it this way for 40 odd years. My bullets go where i aim them, and never one problem.... Slow yes. Accurate and safe yes. I do not even trust others... I see in the gun shows Like in Dallas, when we drive from the ranch into big D, 5 hours away, all the "reloads for sale." Man who did them? Was he drinking? does he know what he's doing"? blah blah blah...

Not to be a wise acre here. but never trust another mans reloads..... Not even mine ;)

Good shooting to you

CanyonMan

PghJim
01-20-2010, 18:53
I have to agree. I will not even use cases left at the range for reloading. I reload thousands of rounds a year and would advise anyone who plans on shooting a thousand rounds a year to get into reloading. Also, it is more than cheaper ammo. You can make more accurate ammo for your gun than factory. I have calibers, where I have never bought a single factory round, started reloading from the start.

I have seen too many incidents with reloads, that I totally agree with CanyonMan - Do not trust other people's reloads. I had a 44 Magnum blow up right beside me. Fortunately no one was hurt, but he was using his buddy's reloads.

RWBlue
01-20-2010, 18:58
I'd say if they are selling ammo then they are insured and lincensed to do so correct? Shoot away!! If they are not stay far far away!!:whistling: They do have to post there license to manufacture ammo where you buy it!

Although I agree with the sentiment.....They do not have to post their manufacturer's license where he/she/it is making a purchase. As I understand it it has to be posted at the location of manufacturing.

LukeG
01-21-2010, 07:49
Thanks for all the responses guys! Much appreciated. Any recommended resources to start reading up on reloading?

cmspeedy
01-21-2010, 09:39
49th edition of the Lyman manual would be a good start.

Reloaders are all over the web, have fun reading - it's very very addictive.