Did some polishing here and there... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Did some polishing here and there...

ndhill
01-19-2010, 18:46
This last weekend I had some spare time, and after looking at all the great pics of people who had success polishing their barrels, I decided to get to work...

I polished the Barrel, Pins, Slide Release, Extractor, and Slide Stop. Also whited the slide and mag markings.

Soaked the barrel in vinegar for 1 hour, and used a Dremel and Mother's Mag polish to get a nice finish on the barrel. I only used the Dremel and Mag polish for the other items, and used the crayon method for the Magazine and Slide Markings. (I used this method because it is easy to apply and remove using no harsh solvents.) WORKED GREAT & Couldn't be happier.

So here are the pics! (for some reason, with the 23 mag I actually like how it looks with the Glock logo below the butt.)

Here we go...
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/nick_d_hil/IMG_0502.jpg
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/nick_d_hil/IMG_0501.jpg
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/nick_d_hil/IMG_0493.jpg
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/nick_d_hil/IMG_0491.jpg

ndhill
01-19-2010, 22:49
Tried to remove post.

bambikilr
01-19-2010, 23:18
i think you did a good job, looks kinda cool, just not my cup of tea...but that's why there is ALOT of icecream flavors...a taste for everyone...love the .40

pinkertonTJ
01-24-2010, 15:57
I really dig your g27 job. I noticed on your barrel the serial # was off of it. I recently ordered a polished one from a GT user but wanted the #'s off. how did you do it? thanks!!

Brucev
01-24-2010, 18:41
Excellent job! I very much like what you did with your G-27. I have been considering doing something similar to my G-22. I very much appreciate the pictures. Sincerely. Brucev.

ndhill
01-25-2010, 02:20
PM sent to Pinkerton

Excellent job! I very much like what you did with your G-27. I have been considering doing something similar to my G-22. I very much appreciate the pictures. Sincerely. Brucev.

Thanks, I do appreciate it. If you do end up working on your G-22 and run into any problems, let me know if I can help. And Be sure to post pics either way!

faawrenchbndr
01-25-2010, 08:46
Looks good,.....actually very good with the white rollmarks!

randyg27
01-25-2010, 09:42
good job i love it , i going to do it today to my glock 27, what is (crayon method)?

ndhill
01-26-2010, 00:09
good job i love it , i going to do it today to my glock 27, what is (crayon method)?

I just took a blowdryer and heated up the slide (all parts removed) until it was fairly warm to the touch, then take your white (or whatever color you choose) and rub in a circular motion (to get into every crevace) on the slide lettering and let cool a bit. Put some of your gun oil on a paper towel and rub off any extra crayon. Same steps for mags. Just be careful not to get any crayon into the mag holes.

Some may wonder why I chose crayon. To put it simply, I didn't know if I would like the look of it, and I wanted something that could be removed easily without the use of harsh solvents, and after some research I found the white crayon. The wax may become soft after several mags on a trip to the range so just be careful not to smear it. And even if you do, big deal... just clean, and repeat the steps and your as good as new.

bluejdixon
02-03-2010, 11:10
I noticed on your barrel the serial # was off of it. I recently ordered a polished one from a GT user but wanted the #'s off. how did you do it? thanks!!

Seriously? You want to remove the serial numbers? :shocked:

JETHRO29
02-03-2010, 13:37
That no longer looks like a GLOCK to me??:dunno:
It looks like a toy!:rofl:

tercel89
02-07-2010, 15:37
When doing this heavy polishing like this , does it make it any more prone to rust ? I know that Tenifer i only a treatment but I think it goes down into the metal a bit . Good looking job by the way .

ndhill
02-08-2010, 18:47
When doing this heavy polishing like this , does it make it any more prone to rust ? I know that Tenifer i only a treatment but I think it goes down into the metal a bit . Good looking job by the way .

The Tenifer should not have been impacted. I didn't do any sanding and took no metal off. Only took off the layer of "nitride". I can't find any research suggesting polishing this off can make it more prone to rust. I'm still confident I can drop my Glock in a creek and go hiking for a few days before cleaning without rust.

ndhill
02-08-2010, 18:51
That no longer looks like a GLOCK to me??:dunno:
It looks like a toy!:rofl:

If you want to come shooting with me, I'm sure I can convince you this is no toy...

nraman
02-08-2010, 22:15
I'd like to highlight the magazines like you did with something more permanent.
I have a bunch of 9mm and 40 mags and it would be nice if the numbers sick out.

tercel89
02-08-2010, 22:32
The Tenifer should not have been impacted. I didn't do any sanding and took no metal off. Only took off the layer of "nitride". I can't find any research suggesting polishing this off can make it more prone to rust. I'm still confident I can drop my Glock in a creek and go hiking for a few days before cleaning without rust.

Where do you get that Mothers Mag polish and what kind of dremel brush did you use ? Man it looks AWESOME!!!!

ndhill
02-09-2010, 00:26
Where do you get that Mothers Mag polish and what kind of dremel brush did you use ? Man it looks AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for the compliment! Much appreciated. I got the Mothers Chrome Mag polish from O'reillys Autoparts. I'm sure you can get some at just about any autoparts store. Look in the wax and wash area.

As for the dremel tip, I used two. My FAV is a BULLET Tip. I couldn't find the tip by itself at my Lowe's, but i found it in a kit. But heres a site that has some... http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-polish-felt-bullet/BCZ30

I liked this tip vs. the other polishing tips because it was firmer, and the point is nice for smaller areas. Good luck, send me some pics when you're done!

tercel89
02-09-2010, 22:30
Thanks for the compliment! Much appreciated. I got the Mothers Chrome Mag polish from O'reillys Autoparts. I'm sure you can get some at just about any autoparts store. Look in the wax and wash area.

As for the dremel tip, I used two. My FAV is a BULLET Tip. I couldn't find the tip by itself at my Lowe's, but i found it in a kit. But heres a site that has some... http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-polish-felt-bullet/BCZ30

I liked this tip vs. the other polishing tips because it was firmer, and the point is nice for smaller areas. Good luck, send me some pics when you're done!

When polishing around the muzzle of the barrel , how did you do it ? I have heard that you should leave the muzzle end alone or it will affect accuracy . This maybe just mainly with rifles. But did you polish around the tip-end of it too ? It looks like you did cause the whole thing is shiny .

ndhill
02-09-2010, 23:12
When polishing around the muzzle of the barrel , how did you do it ? I have heard that you should leave the muzzle end alone or it will affect accuracy . This maybe just mainly with rifles. But did you polish around the tip-end of it too ? It looks like you did cause the whole thing is shiny .

I did polish the flat part on the end of the barrel. But did NOT go into the barrel at all, which should not effect accuracy at all because no material was taken from the inside of the barrel. My dremel bit had a nice flat side which made this easy to do. No worries.

ALSO.... when soaking in the vinegar I plugged the barrel ALL THE WAY with a high density foam which did not let any of the vinegar into the barrel. I didn't want to mess with the inside.

tercel89
02-10-2010, 08:09
I did polish the flat part on the end of the barrel. But did NOT go into the barrel at all, which should not effect accuracy at all because no material was taken from the inside of the barrel. My dremel bit had a nice flat side which made this easy to do. No worries.

ALSO.... when soaking in the vinegar I plugged the barrel ALL THE WAY with a high density foam which did not let any of the vinegar into the barrel. I didn't want to mess with the inside.

What does the vinegar do ? Does it "soften up " the black paint/nitride ?

tercel89
02-10-2010, 09:43

I sure hate to keep bothering you . Can you tell me which Mothers polish you used ? I went to Oriely's Auto Parts and they had the chrome polish in a plastic bottle and it was the liquid . And they also had the Mag Polish in the little can that was a paste .
Which did you use the paste or the liquid ?
If you dont mind , can you tell me the UPC code on the back of the bottle or can ? There is so much Mothers polish I cant tell one from another .
Also , Did you let the polish dry first then use the dremel on it or just dremel it while the polish was wet ?
Thanks so much , if I hear from you today , I'll do it and post pics.

Bowtie
02-10-2010, 10:28
Get the paste in a can..

tercel89
02-11-2010, 22:57
WEll I am half way there on my barrel polishing job . Man I spent an hour on it so far and I am going to bed . I should have pics up tommarrow . '
Is the barrel supposed to heat up so much when polishing it ? Mine was geting hot .
I got a bunch of the nitride off but I say I may have about 1/3 rd left to go . I'll show you guys tomarrow .
By the Way , is the slide-stop just plain metal or what ? I am afraid if its plain ole carbon steel , it may rust if I take the finish off of it .

Bowtie
02-11-2010, 23:13
WEll I am half way there on my barrel polishing job . Man I spent an hour on it so far and I am going to bed . I should have pics up tommarrow . '
Is the barrel supposed to heat up so much when polishing it ? Mine was geting hot .
I got a bunch of the nitride off but I say I may have about 1/3 rd left to go . I'll show you guys tomarrow .
By the Way , is the slide-stop just plain metal or what ? I am afraid if its plain ole carbon steel , it may rust if I take the finish off of it .

Its going to warm up a little but it shouldnt get hot..Not that its going to hurt anything, it gets a helluva lot hotter when you're shooting. I pollished a few slide stops and have never had anyone tell me they rusted, I havent done any on my guns.

ndhill
02-12-2010, 00:08
Its going to warm up a little but it shouldnt get hot..Not that its going to hurt anything, it gets a helluva lot hotter when you're shooting. I pollished a few slide stops and have never had anyone tell me they rusted, I havent done any on my guns.

Bowtie, thanks for chiming in... YOU sir are always welcome here.

My barrel heated up enough for it to be pretty warm in my hand. I just put it down for a minute while I grabbed a drink. When I got back, It was gtg.

I polished my slide stop, but I keep a clean gun. So i'm not worried about rust... even so, a slide stop is EXTREMELY cheap. If you want, you can even just polish the ends, so the part that you see are polished, Thats what I did. (just because it was quick and easy.)

Looking forward to pics!

Bowtie
02-12-2010, 00:12
Bowtie, thanks for chiming in... YOU sir are always welcome here.

My barrel heated up enough for it to be pretty warm in my hand. I just put it down for a minute while I grabbed a drink. When I got back, It was gtg.

I polished my slide stop, but I keep a clean gun. So i'm not worried about rust... even so, a slide stop is EXTREMELY cheap. If you want, you can even just polish the ends, so the part that you see are polished, Thats what I did. (just because it was quick and easy.)

Looking forward to pics!

Anytime, You did a great job on your gun..

tercel89
02-13-2010, 11:08
well i got some pics and its done , i just cant seemt o load them up on here .

ndhill
02-13-2010, 16:53
well i got some pics and its done , i just cant seemt o load them up on here .

welp, upload them to photobucket.com and used the "inset image" button to put the link of the photo. Should work.

Are you happy with your work!? If you're happy, I'm happy.

tercel89
02-13-2010, 19:49
welp, upload them to photobucket.com and used the "inset image" button to put the link of the photo. Should work.

Are you happy with your work!? If you're happy, I'm happy.

Thanks for telling me how to do it . I did everything like you except the extractor .
I do belive I may go back and do my barrel a little bit more . I was just a little hesitant that I may go too deep and interfere with the Tenifer .

tercel89
02-14-2010, 20:28
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/tercel89/g26003.jpg

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/tercel89/g26002.jpg

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/tercel89/g26001.jpg

tercel89
02-14-2010, 20:31
I hope these pics are okay . I will better ones up later . I now need to learn how to keep my serial number hidden and My brother is showing me that .

As you can tell I did everything except the extractor .

tercel89
02-14-2010, 20:32
Also , sorry But I got alot of polish on my frame and slide left over !!!! That stuff gets everywhere!!!!

tercel89
02-14-2010, 20:34
A big THANKS goes out to ndhill for showing me how to do this polishing and to my brother for showing me how to post pics! Thanks so much to both you guys!!!!!!!

ndhill
02-14-2010, 23:01
A big THANKS goes out to ndhill for showing me how to do this polishing and to my brother for showing me how to post pics! Thanks so much to both you guys!!!!!!!

Hey dude, NO PROBLEM! I'm glad I could help. Good Job! Of course I like it! and... If you're happy, I'm happy! :wavey:

Now, just pass the buck, and help someone else out.