Need best 9mm load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need best 9mm load

muchocranium
01-19-2010, 19:25
I'm looking for your best 9mm loads. These will be used in a Glock longslide. Thanks

Boxerglocker
01-19-2010, 19:31
Whats your manual say for the choices of bullet or powders you have available? What type of PF are you looking for? Are these for practice / plinking / competition / simulated SD ? Are you concerned about shooting lead in your stock barrel or do you intend to get an aftermarket BBL?

DEADLYACCURATE
01-19-2010, 19:37
Whats your manual say for the choices of bullet or powders you have available? What type of PF are you looking for? Are these for practice / plinking / competition / simulated SD ? Are you concerned about shooting lead in your stock barrel or do you intend to get an aftermarket BBL?

^^^ needed info

dudel
01-19-2010, 19:45
I'm looking for your best 9mm loads. These will be used in a Glock longslide. Thanks

My best load may not work worth a darn in your gun. Likely it won't as you won't be able to find the same components I use. Then you'll end up substituting components, and it won't be the same load.

The way to find the best load for your gun is to start with the load manual, and get components in small quantities (don't go out and by 1000 pills and an 8# keg of powder). Many projectile companies will sell you sample packs to work up loads. Get your powder in 1# canisters or borrow 100 grains from a buddy. Offer to swap some powder with him.

Once you have components, start your load development. Shoot from a rest and steady bench. Keep good records. Use a chronograph. Keep an eye out for pressure signs, hard extraction, proper cycling.

Given all the variables, the load books will give you as good a starting point as you will get here, plus, it will give you more options.

shotgunred
01-19-2010, 20:12
115 wwB.

njl
01-19-2010, 21:07
115 wwB.

And shoot with me so I can keep your brass :)

Seriously, "best" all depends on what you want it to do.

shotgunred
01-19-2010, 21:46
POST"12"

Seriously there are two or three treads on the first page alone with all kinds of 9mm info on them.

And shoot with me so I can keep your brass

I will trade you all the brass you want for primers and even throw in a good 9mm load.

decibels5
01-19-2010, 21:51
hey, you might want to read a little. you should already know, no one can tell you anything without type of powder and weight of bullet. I am not being a smart *** by no means, it is just dangerous. read up a little, lot of different information available online and get a BOOK OR TWO

fredj338
01-19-2010, 22:42
hey, you might want to read a little. you should already know, no one can tell you anything without type of powder and weight of bullet. I am not being a smart *** by no means, it is just dangerous. read up a little, lot of different information available online and get a BOOK OR TWO
As noted, best load for what? JHP +P for Sd, most accurate, light recoiling for targets, what?:dunno:

ron59
01-20-2010, 06:13
Typical powders are TiteGroup, Unique, and there are several Solo-1000 users in here (I like it). Of course other powders are used, but those are probably the most popular. Much success can be had with other powders, but when I was doing the same research as you, that's pretty much what I found.

As was mentioned... it's tough to give you "a load", without knowing what your intentions are. If you're just wanting to shoot... 115gr bullets would be fine. If you're thinking about competing you might want to look at 147gr bullets.

I run 147gr Montana Gold bullets over Solo-1000. Solo is a little difficult as there isn't much load data available for it. But if you used something like TiteGroup, you could easily google "9mm 147 load TiteGroup" (without the quotes), and get PLENTY of load data. Do the same thing with ANY POWDER you're interested in (and grain bullet), and you'll start getting some numbers.

Best to work your way up with a chronograph. For $100 or so from Midway, the "Pro Chronograph" can't be beat.

sourdough44
01-20-2010, 08:06
I'm easing back into the 9mm after many years away. I ordered a few 100 of Rainier plated 115 grn bullets(on sale at Midwayusa). I think I will start out with a modest charge of w-231, the 4.0 grn area seems about right. I still have some old reloads to burn through but that's where I'm going with the new stuff.

recycooler
01-20-2010, 08:14
I also use Solo 1000,4.25 gr,Montana Gold 115 fmj,these are great target rounds with little recoil in a glock 26/19.

Colorado4Wheel
01-20-2010, 09:17

AA#9 with the Max loading in your load manual.

OR

Solo 1000 with min loading

I'm not really sure.

Patrick Graham
01-20-2010, 09:27
My WWB 115gr 9mm duplication load.

115gr FMJ, Winchester Small Pistol primer and 5.3gr Unique.

Seated to and overall lengeth of 1.15".

Average velocity at 73 degress out of a Beretta 92 is 1149fps.

Jim Watson
01-20-2010, 09:32
115 gr Sierra HP and a moderate load of N320.

But Sierras and Vihtavuori cost more and I find myself shooting bulk Remington or Zero JHPs, Hornady "blems" when available, or moly coated cast Billy Bullets. HP38 works as well as any popular priced powder I have tried.

dudel
01-20-2010, 17:44

WWB duplication is your best load? :rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
01-20-2010, 18:12
I don't get what so funny. Lots of people like to make a WWB duplication load.

unclebob
01-20-2010, 18:20
I love people that shot WWB. Most of them do not reload and I get their brass.

GioaJack
01-20-2010, 18:51

See that dudel... now you've confused, and quite possibly insulted C4W... it appears that both you and RustyFN have to learn to behave yourself. Tsk, tsk, tsk. :whistling:

Jack

WRXcelration
01-20-2010, 20:04
Hey guys I have a quick question, I loaded some 9mm 124gr FMJ w/ 4.2gr of W-231. The only issue is that I set the OAL to 1.117. If I am right I should have set it to 1.130. Would the 1.117 OAL be safe to shoot or should I just pull them?
Thanks Guys

dudel
01-20-2010, 20:28

OP asked for BEST load. WWB is a best load? :wow:

dudel
01-20-2010, 20:29
See that dudel... now you've confused, and quite possibly insulted C4W... it appears that both you and RustyFN have to learn to behave yourself. Tsk, tsk, tsk. :whistling:

Jack

Jack, I hope you live long enough to see that. You've got many, many years ahead of you.

don

unclebob
01-20-2010, 21:09
Hey guys I have a quick question, I loaded some 9mm 124gr FMJ w/ 4.2gr of W-231. The only issue is that I set the OAL to 1.117. If I am right I should have set it to 1.130. Would the 1.117 OAL be safe to shoot or should I just pull them?
Thanks Guys

Since 4.2 is a starting load and the Lee manual list the Min COL as 1.095 I would go ahead and shoot them.

Patrick Graham
01-21-2010, 06:40

Yep.

My best load may not work worth a darn in your gun. ..........................

Unlike your load, mine works great in all 9mm firearms. :whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 09:12
OP asked for BEST load. WWB duplication load is a best load? :wow:

I fixed it for you. Still don't get it.

chineseboxer
01-21-2010, 12:32
Thanks Guys

Your fine, I load exactly the same but at 1.120-1.125. I have another batch 124 FMJ with 4.6 of 231 at 1.130-1.135. Shoots great, but don't take my word without doing your homework!

dudel
01-21-2010, 17:50
Yep.

Unlike your load, mine works great in all 9mm firearms. :whistling:

Yep, we can all throw away all our pet loads, and just use WWB duplicate loads because it "works great in all 9mm firearms". :rofl:

When I develop a load, I don't care it it doesn't work well in all guns; just MY guns. Commercial ammo has to work in all guns, mine doesn't. As a result, they make compromises, I don't have to. I can tune the load for my purpose, and my guns.

The whole purpose of reloading (at least to me) is to find the right load, the best load, for a particular gun. Do you really believe that WWB is a great load for "all" 9mm firearms?

I got some waterfront property for you.

A buddy of mine shoots WWB. Since he doesn't reload, I get the brass. So, I love WWB, I just don't shoot it anymore. I don't because I can do better, much better.

People duplicate loads all the time. Normally they try to duplicate a high priced commercial SD load. That way, when they practice, they are practicing with same/similar, recoil, rise, blast, penetration, etc. By duplicating a high priced load, they save money.

Why would anyone want to duplicate the cheapest, least stellar commercial, lowest QCed, mass produced load available? :wow: Is there a less stellar load than WWB? If there is, I can't think of it. WWB is what people get when they can't find/afford anything else. I've never heard of WWB being anyone's first choice for ammo unless they were just wanting to make noise or they didn't know better. BTW, my buddy gets it because he just wants to make noise.

Yep, all the top shooters are using WWB. :yawn:

Patrick Graham
01-21-2010, 18:17
Yep, we can all throw away all our pet loads, and just use WWB duplicate loads because it "works great in all 9mm firearms". :rofl:

When I develop a load, I don't care it it doesn't work well in all guns; just MY guns. Commercial ammo has to work in all guns, mine doesn't. As a result, they make compromises, I don't have to. I can tune the load for my purpose, and my guns.

The whole purpose of reloading (at least to me) is to find the right load, the best load, for a particular gun. Do you really believe that WWB is a great load for "all" 9mm firearms?

A buddy of mine shoots WWB. Since he doesn't reload, I get the brass. So, I love WWB, I just don't shoot it anymore. I don't because I can do better, much better.

People duplicate loads all the time. Normally they try to duplicate a high priced commercial SD load. That way, when they practice, they are practicing with same/similar, recoil, rise, blast, penetration, etc. By duplicating a high priced load, they save money.

Why would anyone want to duplicate the cheapest, least stellar commercial, lowest QCed, mass produced load available? :wow: Is there a less stellar load than WWB? If there is, I can't think of it. WWB is what people get when they can't find/afford anything else. I've never heard of WWB being anyone's first choice for ammo unless they were just wanting to make noise or they didn't know better. BTW, my buddy gets it because he just wants to make noise.

Yep, all the top shooters are using WWB. :yawn:

LOL!!!

I recognize that toxicity.

You've been here before in another life.

dudel
01-21-2010, 18:20
LOL!!!

I recognize that toxicity.

You've been here before in another life.

You must be related to the president. :supergrin: Can't deal with facts.

RustyFN
01-21-2010, 18:46
I fixed it for you. Still don't get it.

WWB is not known for being accurate. Here is an example of WWB accuracy shot from a Ransom rest.

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7313

unclebob
01-21-2010, 18:46
http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2009/2009stx.pdf
If you think WWB is no good go too the link above and look at the times and scores for Tony Clemens. He is known as White Box Tony. That is all that he and his wife shoot. He says he does not have time too reload. Most of the time he doesn’t even get in any practice before a match. And he is a Master Class shooter.

RustyFN
01-21-2010, 18:51

Jack

Jack my New Years resolution was to try and be a little nicer. I haven't mentioned the FCD in at least a week. :rofl:

decibels5
01-21-2010, 19:07
WWB IN THE MOVIE "WANTED". Did you see what that bullet did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_p9VIBYo1E

dsmw5142
01-21-2010, 19:33
If you think WWB is no good go too the link above and look at the times and scores for Tony Clemens. He is known as White Box Tony. That is all that he and his wife shoot. He says he does not have time too reload. Most of the time he doesn’t even get in any practice before a match. And he is a Master Class shooter.

I know lots of folks who shoot WWB and some who do really well with it. Do I think an experienced hand loader can do better? sure. Most gun games don't require pin point accuracy. WWB served me well for the first couple years I started shooting IDPA. Now I reload my own, save a bit of money and have the advantage of finding what works best in each of three guns I shoot for IDPA/USPSA.

I have no issue with WWB. It works well enough in a variety of guns at various ranges. If I was feeling really lazy and was out of my home brewed, I would break out a box or two from the couple cases that have been sitting in my closet for two years.

Brass Nazi
01-21-2010, 19:47

Oh my, I am sure that his loads shoot better than that WWB crap.

GioaJack
01-21-2010, 19:56
Jack my New Years resolution was to try and be a little nicer. I haven't mentioned the FCD in at least a week. :rofl:

Yes Rusty, you've been a very good boy lately... I figured you were sick. :supergrin:

Jack

njl
01-21-2010, 21:05

WWB is clearly good enough...but when you can make slightly better ammo for half the cost, why wouldn't you? Reasons that come to mind...

1) you just don't have time to reload
2) you don't have the space for reloading
3) you have enough $ that you don't care about the cost difference

Those of us of limited skill may even shoot our reloads better than we'd shoot factory. If you're one of the top GSSF masters, then ammo brand and small differences in felt recoil probably make little to no difference.

Colorado4Wheel
01-21-2010, 21:09
I am also trying to be nice and a little funny. I don't think its working.

D. Manley
01-21-2010, 22:17
WWB is not known for being accurate. Here is an example of WWB accuracy shot from a Ransom rest.

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7313

Rusty, that pretty well mimics my experience with it as well. I've only ran through a few hundred rounds of it in a couple of calibers but for me, I'd call the results more of a "pattern" more than a "group". Some people seem to do well with it...I can only surmise this can be explained by the lot qualities being of varied consistency. The same guns shoot both my handloads and several premium defensive loads very well.

dudel
01-22-2010, 12:18
Yes Rusty, you've been a very good boy lately... I figured you were sick. :supergrin:

Jack

Hey Jack, I haven't mentioned Lee's four letter die either in a while......

Don

dudel
01-22-2010, 12:19
WWB IN THE MOVIE "WANTED". Did you see what that bullet did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_p9VIBYo1E

Mythbusted. Although, I believe that WWB wouldn't shoot straight.

You think they actually shoot guns in hollywood? :supergrin:

GioaJack
01-22-2010, 12:48
Hey Jack, I haven't mentioned Lee's four letter die either in a while......

Don

Rusty hasn't mentioned the LFCD because he's trying to change his evil ways and be a good boy... you haven't mentioned it because you're so damn old you simply forgot. :supergrin:

Jack

ron59
01-22-2010, 13:06
Anyone else notice that... we're two pages into this thread, and the OP hasn't "been back" since his original post ??

That kinda thing just kills me.... :rofl:

Boxerglocker
01-22-2010, 13:23
Anyone else notice that... we're two pages into this thread, and the OP hasn't "been back" since his original post ??

That kinda thing just kills me.... :rofl:

Move over on the floor ron59, I was thinking the same thing... :rofl:

dudel
01-22-2010, 19:02

That kinda thing just kills me.... :rofl:t

Now that you mention it.....:supergrin:

shotgunred
01-22-2010, 20:52
I am also trying to be nice and a little funny. I don't think its working.

I don't know this struck me as funny.

Lyman Manual Page 364

150gr Lead. Use it for your 155gn bullet and just reduce it a little more. Unique would be a obvious choice.

Page 382 200gr and 225 gr Lead data. Just reduce the load a little more if you have 230 gr bullets. Start with starting loads - a touch and chrono them.

farnorthwintercamper
01-24-2010, 12:47

115gr FMJ, Winchester Small Pistol primer and 5.3gr Unique.

Seated to and overall lengeth of 1.15".

Average velocity at 73 degress out of a Beretta 92 is 1149fps.

Indeed an excellent load! and very accurate in my glock 19. I have never had a issue of any kind w/this load, and it shoots more accurately than me.

I think people must not know how to re-load with some of the idiot comments that I see in here some times.
In fact I would stay far away from these experts ideas of a handload... be careful you'll shoot your eye out..... retards..

farnorthwintercamper
01-24-2010, 12:55
yep, we can all throw away all our pet loads, and just use wwb duplicate loads because it "works great in all 9mm firearms". :rofl:

When i develop a load, i don't care it it doesn't work well in all guns; just my guns. Commercial ammo has to work in all guns, mine doesn't. As a result, they make compromises, i don't have to. I can tune the load for my purpose, and my guns.

The whole purpose of reloading (at least to me) is to find the right load, the best load, for a particular gun. Do you really believe that wwb is a great load for "all" 9mm firearms?

A buddy of mine shoots wwb. Since he doesn't reload, i get the brass. So, i love wwb, i just don't shoot it anymore. I don't because i can do better, much better.

People duplicate loads all the time. Normally they try to duplicate a high priced commercial sd load. That way, when they practice, they are practicing with same/similar, recoil, rise, blast, penetration, etc. By duplicating a high priced load, they save money.

Why would anyone want to duplicate the cheapest, least stellar commercial, lowest qced, mass produced load available? :wow: Is there a less stellar load than wwb? If there is, i can't think of it. Wwb is what people get when they can't find/afford anything else. I've never heard of wwb being anyone's first choice for ammo unless they were just wanting to make noise or they didn't know better. Btw, my buddy gets it because he just wants to make noise.

Yep, all the top shooters are using wwb. :yawn:

fail!

RustyFN
01-24-2010, 15:55
Indeed an excellent load! and very accurate in my glock 19. I have never had a issue of any kind w/this load, and it shoots more accurately than me.

I think people must not know how to re-load with some of the idiot comments that I see in here some times.
In fact I would stay far away from these experts ideas of a handload... be careful you'll shoot your eye out..... retards..

:popcorn:

flyhigh511
01-24-2010, 16:03
I hate to ask this stupid question, but.. What is WWB?

Patrick Graham
01-24-2010, 16:06
I hate to ask this stupid question, but.. What is WWB?

Winchester White Box.

dudel
01-25-2010, 12:01
it shoots more accurately than me.

:rofl: Hate to be you.

Pot meet kettle.

MSgt Dotson
01-25-2010, 17:01

My friend has a 17L, and uses berry's 130 gr FP over 3.5 gr of Titegroup, 1.12" OAL....; 1020 fps from 6" LW bbl...