View Full Version : .45 ACP vs .45 GAP or... "why the .45 GAP?" post

cowboy1964
01-19-2010, 22:05
How do they compare in the following areas:

- recoil
- flip
- noise
- muzzle flash

I would think GAP would be more recoil, flip, and noise, in comparable guns, since it operates at higher pressure. About the only real difference is you can get a smaller grip. Is there any other real advantage to GAP?

I've only shot a few .45 ACPs (G30/G36, some old 1911) and the flash from the Glocks was substantial. Was using Blazer aluminum rounds. Are the 3.78" barrels just too short? How long would the barrel have to be to eliminate the flash (or reduce it substantially)?

Glolt20-91
01-19-2010, 22:50
Recoil is based upon bullet weight/velocity, amount of powder needed to achieve MV and firearm weight.

There are formulas and recoil charts, I figure it the old fashioned way; software. :supergrin:

Bob :cowboy:

rns-glock37
01-20-2010, 04:53
before you beat me up let me say from the start that i'm not an expert at all. i've shot both the acp and the gap and i can say both are very accurate. i'm a little more accurate with the gap and i've noticed that the gap has less perceived recoil than the acp. ballistically speaking from what i've read and learned is that the gap is at worst equal to acp and in a lot of cases is actually better. the gap is slightly behind +p acp. the big advantage of the gap is the smaller grip. the gap grip is even smaller than the sf line of glocks in acp. the acp is a proven round with a very long and rich history. i don't believe that it will ever go away; however, the gap is a more modern round using todays technology and is a viable alternative for those who want 45 caliber but has smaller hands. the gap also comes in all three sizes- full, compact, and a true sub compact. in essence one is not better than the other it just gives the would be gun owner an additional option in the 45 caliber. just my .02

gary newport
01-20-2010, 16:05
How do they compare in the following areas:

- recoil
- flip
- noise
- muzzle flash

I would think GAP would be more recoil, flip, and noise, in comparable guns, since it operates at higher pressure. About the only real difference is you can get a smaller grip. Is there any other real advantage to GAP?

I've only shot a few .45 ACPs (G30/G36, some old 1911) and the flash from the Glocks was substantial. Was using Blazer aluminum rounds. Are the 3.78" barrels just too short? How long would the barrel have to be to eliminate the flash (or reduce it substantially)?

Recoil is not directly determined by the working pressure of a cartridge. Consider that the 9mm works at a considerably higher pressure than either of the .45s.

I find little difference in recoil, flip or noise between the .45 ACP and .45 GAP when using comparable loads. Muzzle flash is often greater with shorter barrels for a given load, but the type of propellant used in different loads also plays a role. Incidentally, I haven't found muzzle flash to be a big issue in either the G30 or G39.

Some premium defense ammo claims to have reduced muzzle flash.

The main advantage of the .45 GAP is that it allows .45 ACP performance in a 9mm-sized frame. It does that well.

packinaglock
01-20-2010, 16:20
before you beat me up let me say from the start that i'm not an expert at all. i've shot both the acp and the gap and i can say both are very accurate. i'm a little more accurate with the gap and i've noticed that the gap has less perceived recoil than the acp. ballistically speaking from what i've read and learned is that the gap is at worst equal to acp and in a lot of cases is actually better. the gap is slightly behind +p acp. the big advantage of the gap is the smaller grip. the gap grip is even smaller than the sf line of glocks in acp. the acp is a proven round with a very long and rich history. i don't believe that it will ever go away; however, the gap is a more modern round using todays technology and is a viable alternative for those who want 45 caliber but has smaller hands. the gap also comes in all three sizes- full, compact, and a true sub compact. in essence one is not better than the other it just gives the would be gun owner an additional option in the 45 caliber. just my .02

Well said!

Butch
01-20-2010, 19:06
The main advantage of the .45 GAP is that it allows .45 ACP performance in a 9mm-sized frame. It does that well.
Yup!

And I think that when the grip frame better fits the shooters hand, the gun is more pleasant to shoot, and more shootable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC08412.jpg

Berto
01-20-2010, 19:10
The more, the merrier.
Celebrate diversity.:supergrin:

G8Kpr
01-20-2010, 21:59
And I think that when the grip frame better fits the shooters hand, the gun is more pleasant to shoot, and more shootable.

This is what I've found, and why I've dropped everything out of my SD battery except full frame 1911's (5" & Commanders) and mid-frame Glocks - the best of which, FOR ME, is the Glock 38.

I am most confident, comfortable, and competent day-to-day with the G38 platform / caliber combination of all the various makes and models I've carried, and that's what makes it the right choice for me. Just my $0.02.

CB lastmanout
01-21-2010, 10:33
Wow, I own and shoot 37 and 38 glock 45 GAP pistols. They function flawless and are accurate (even my handloads). I owned 40's (3) and the muzzle blast and recoil speed 'seems' less with the GAP. The small grip fits my hand better than any 1911's I owned (6). The 38 is my chosen carry piece also. Nice to see others share my veiw of this competent yet hated calliber.

Dexters
01-21-2010, 11:10
Well said!
shouldbewrittenwellsaid

gary newport
01-22-2010, 15:04
Yup!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC08412.jpg

:wavey: Hi, Butch!

Lately, I've been shooting more .45 ACP (through a G21SF) than .45 GAP for two reasons: first, I want to conserve my small pistol primer supply and second, I shot the last IDPA match in CDP (which requires .45 ACP). The G21SF is a great pistol--but I like the G37 more because it fits my hand better and just seems better balanced!

Unfortunately, I can only shoot GAP Glocks in IDPA SSP (or ESP), against folks shooting 9mm bunny-fart loads. In desperation, I've started reloading 9mm (:faint:) and working with my G34s. Of course, that means I'll be dipping into my supply of small pistol primers! :crying: