Sling on a Remy 870 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sling on a Remy 870

SATX man
01-20-2010, 00:06
What options do I have for putting a sling on a 870express? I am taking a tactical course and need a sling any recommendations?

aippi
01-20-2010, 01:20
Depends on the mounting points you have. What are they?

If you have a QD on the stock and mag cap, or the barrel bracket then go with a two or three point.

If you want a single point then get a single point plate to go between the stock and the receiver. There are all kinds out there.

Go to www.rockymountaintactical.net (http://www.rockymountaintactical.net) and check out the Sumit sling if you want a single point. You can also check out the other slings while on the site if you want something else. Best value on the net for sure.

SATX man
01-20-2010, 09:21
Ok thanks for info will something like this work?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=48141/pid=/sku/LH_Loop_Adapter__Rem__870
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=29821/pid=/sku/Rem__870_Mount

David Armstrong
01-20-2010, 13:26
I like just a simple 2-point standard sling. Works just fine, nothing fancy to figure out, work with, or think about.

aippi
01-20-2010, 16:57
The first link you show is a single point so if you get that and the Sumit single point sling that is all you need. The ones in the picture are not for a Remington but the product number match the one for Remington so it is good to go.

Just use it for the Tactical Course and then take it off when the weapon is being used for home defense.

Navitimer
01-20-2010, 21:45
I'll admit that I'm kind of picky when it comes to slings. For a shotgun I like a two point sling so I can carry it on my back. That comes in handy when tracking through the woods. For a carbine, I prefer a single point for quick and easy access.

RMTactical
01-20-2010, 22:07
I like just a simple 2-point standard sling. Works just fine, nothing fancy to figure out, work with, or think about.

Nothing beats a single point for a tactical training course. You simply cannot do all of the transitions and stuff with a two point. Especially a simple 2-point. It's way too slow.

wacopilot
01-26-2010, 17:54
I have found after using a few diffrent types of mounts, that the Mesa HK mount and a Gear Sector single piont sling wirks well for me.

Faulkner
01-26-2010, 20:23
I decided not to put a slingie thingie on my Remy, but I do have one on my Mossy. http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/2189969/306801442.jpg

Sling on a Remy 870

When you get to your tactical course let us know how calling your shotgun a Remy works out for you.

marlinfan
01-26-2010, 22:52
OH MY GOD HE CALLED HIS SHOTTY A REMY>??!!! *head explodes*

aippi
01-26-2010, 23:16
Easy now, I don't pick on you guys when you are calling parts on a 870 things like, Lifter, Elevators and all those other names some of you come up with.

He paid for it and can call it what he wants. I call my Mustang plus II "Baby" and my Commander "Bad Boy". We love our weapons and can call them sweet things if we want to.

Be nice.

Faulkner
01-27-2010, 18:23
Hey, I was just trying to help a brother out . . . don't want him to embarrass himself in front of the big boys at the tactical class. :whistling: Better to learn here than there.

David Armstrong
01-28-2010, 12:10
Nothing beats a single point for a tactical training course. You simply cannot do all of the transitions and stuff with a two point. Especially a simple 2-point. It's way too slow.
Well darn it, I guess all those tactical shotgun courses I went through with a standard sling, and all those tactical shotgun courses I taught over the years with the standard sling and all those students who went through them with me must have just imagined it all. And it is sure going to surprise folks like John Farnam and Clint Smith and the Gunsite people to find out their standard slings just don't work out.:upeyes:

B Coyote
01-28-2010, 12:40

Yep. Simple works best, overall.

bc

aippi
01-28-2010, 13:10
Dave, each has its merits and I am as anti sling on anything as you can find, however, having trained with some very fine SWAT, HRT and other teams, Local, State and Federal, I noticed something. To a man they used single point slings on long guns and SMG's. The only time I saw a two point was on a 37MM gun. Must be a reason for this. I do not have enough expirience on this subject to explain why.

I know that any time subjects like this come up, there is a lot of preference stated. I Have read your articles I certainly know you are a very expirienced and knowledgable Instructor, however, your expiriences may simply be different then others.

Maybe two point or Single is like 'Boxers" or "Briefs". When I answer a Post I list "Why" and break it down to key points. This helps the OP decide. I can't do that for this point because I don't know enought about the subject.

RMTactical
01-28-2010, 16:34
Well darn it, I guess all those tactical shotgun courses I went through with a standard sling, and all those tactical shotgun courses I taught over the years with the standard sling and all those students who went through them with me must have just imagined it all. And it is sure going to surprise folks like John Farnam and Clint Smith and the Gunsite people to find out their standard slings just don't work out.:upeyes:

Times are changing. It's not that they don't work. It's that they don't work well in comparison. ;)

Although you gotta use the right tool for the job.

David Armstrong
01-28-2010, 18:03
from aippi:
Dave, each has its merits and I am as anti sling on anything as you can find, however, having trained with some very fine SWAT, HRT and other teams, Local, State and Federal, I noticed something. To a man they used single point slings on long guns and SMG's.
I have noticed the single point on lots of subguns, very few on shotguns. Whenever some of the most respected and prolific trainers in the business agree on a point I tend to think they might have a pretty good idea what is going on, particularly when it comes to equipment, given the large number of folks they see in operation and the wide variety of equipment that they see in operation. When their recommendations coincide with my experiences I think we might be on to something!:winkie:

In this case, given the OP, I'd hazard a guess that he is not particularly experienced in the business since he isn't aware of the options and is looking for recommendations. What might be a good recommendation for an experienced SWAT officer is not always the best recommendation for someone starting out.

from RMTactical:
Times are changing.
Not really. Same kind of problems, same kind of BGs, same kind of solutions. What has changed is the marketing, and we often see solutions that are good for and tailored toward fairly narrow situations being presented as the preferred general solution. I think the single point sling has its place, but it is not for general purpose use of the defensive shotgun. YMMV.:fred:

aippi
01-28-2010, 21:24
Dave, again...very valid points. I also try to gauge my response to the OP question. I even explained a part and where to find it as it was obvious from just the fact he asked the question, the type of question he asked and the verbage he used that he was a novice.

I know I offend people with my response at times as I always give basic responses with simple term and guys jump back at me as they think I am insulting them. I am a professional in this business with liablity insurance to be concerned about and if I do not make a response clear then they can come at me. So, I answer with that in mind

Same on the phone with a client. A guy new to shotguns and wanting an HD is going to be a very different conversation then one the DEA guys calling for a weapon.

Your responses show a lot of knowledge and exprience and that may be lost on a novice. I understand the tacticla applicantions of a sling on a shotgun and for me, I don't F'n need nor want one. I have a Sumit for my AP4 and a second one for the rare times I do use one on a shotgun, which is mostly when giving range instruction so I don't have to lay the weapon on the ground.

Great points you made on the subject, keep 'em coming.

David Armstrong
01-29-2010, 10:58
I know I offend people with my response at times as I always give basic responses with simple term and guys jump back at me as they think I am insulting them. I am a professional in this business with liablity insurance to be concerned about and if I do not make a response clear then they can come at me. So, I answer with that in mind

No problem from my end of it, as I tend to do much the same. My apologies if it came across otherwise, to you and others. The internet is at best a difficult medium for communication, at worst it sometimes actually hampers it.

RMTactical
01-29-2010, 16:22
Not really. Same kind of problems, same kind of BGs, same kind of solutions. What has changed is the marketing, and we often see solutions that are good for and tailored toward fairly narrow situations being presented as the preferred general solution. I think the single point sling has its place, but it is not for general purpose use of the defensive shotgun. YMMV.:fred:

That doesn't mean that there are not new ideas and ways of training. You have to be open to new ideas or you stop learning.

I will agree that the single point sling has a very narrow mission use, but it is unmatched in accomplishing that mission. I would also agree that it is not the best sling for the majority of uses or users.

I hope you don't feel like I was attacking you in my original post. I wasn't. I respect you and your opinion.

L-2
01-29-2010, 21:08
deleted