Do you think 10% off for Idiot scatch is fair? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you think 10% off for Idiot scatch is fair?

ajgranda
01-20-2010, 09:45
Here is a pic of the gun. Its a dealer demo, 150 rds through it. Appears to be in great shape except for this idiot scratch which dealer did during cleaning and reassembly to sell. Offering 12% off asking which is already discounted about 13% from MSRP. What do you think?
Thanks

Edit: Its about 12% off Dealers asking for a new discounted version. I had also posted about this once before, but I'm trying to talk the dealer down another $100. I hadnt noticed the idiot scratch prior to that although it was advertised as being 99%. Don't think I will go for it if he doesn't bulge.

up1911fan
01-20-2010, 09:46
10% off new cost or the used asking price?

engineer151515
01-20-2010, 09:55
If it is not a showpiece, going to get more skuffs anyway, and 10% = $50 or better, I'd say good to go. Would be really sweet if the discount covered any sales tax.

If this was intended to be a safe queen, then the marks on the slide would be annoying too.

hatidua
01-20-2010, 09:58
That little scratch, on brushed stainless, would take but a couple of minutes to remove. 10% off because it's January, sure. 10% off because it's Tuesday? why not. 10% off because a dealer doesn't know how to reassemble a 1911? absolutely!

But 10% off for that little scratch? -whatever helps him sell it I guess.

ajgranda
01-20-2010, 10:05
That little scratch, on brushed stainless, would take but a couple of minutes to remove. 10% off because it's January, sure. 10% off because it's Tuesday? why not. 10% off because a dealer doesn't know how to reassemble a 1911? absolutely!

But 10% off for that little scratch? -whatever helps him sell it I guess.

It's hard chrome, not SS, thanks.

ajgranda
01-20-2010, 10:07
If it is not a showpiece, going to get more skuffs anyway, and 10% = $50 or better, I'd say good to go. Would be really sweet if the discount covered any sales tax.

If this was intended to be a safe queen, then the marks on the slide would be annoying too.

It's going to be a rotating carry piece. Not a showpiece, but a $3K retail semi-custom.

ajgranda
01-20-2010, 10:09
10% off new cost or the used asking price?

12% off of a discounted new gun, although dealer keeps stating it's basically new since it was only taken out to the range once and fired for about 150 rounds.

engineer151515
01-20-2010, 10:32
It's going to be a rotating carry piece. Not a showpiece, but a $3K retail semi-custom.

So, per the edit, are you asking for $100 or $300 off for the scratch?

Jeff82
01-20-2010, 10:43
12% off of a discounted new gun, although dealer keeps stating it's basically new since it was only taken out to the range once and fired for about 150 rounds.

Dealer is a rip off artist. New is new. A gun with 150 rounds through it is not new, it's used. Period. I wouldn't work with a shifty dealer like that.

You can buy a new pistol at a fair price somewhere else.

ajgranda
01-20-2010, 11:14
So, per the edit, are you asking for $100 or $300 off for the scratch?

Well he said the pics of the gun ,that he stated was in 99% condition, showed that scratch, which it did, but I didnt notice. I offered him a price not realizing the scratch, which he accepted. Now that I did see it, I told him I wanted another $100 off.

glockrace
01-20-2010, 11:27
Seems to me your offer is more than fair, hold to your offer if he doesnt go for it then it wasnt meant to be. (I think it would be his loss and he should accept your offer)

ajgranda
01-20-2010, 11:56
Seems to me your offer is more than fair, hold to your offer if he doesnt go for it then it wasnt meant to be. (I think it would be his loss and he should accept your offer)

Thanks, that's what I am going to do.

faawrenchbndr
01-20-2010, 12:11
I'd pass,......I hate idiot scratches with a passion!
I'd be asking for about 20% off MSRP

ronin.45
01-20-2010, 12:34
That is a big mistake for a dealer who carries high end 1911s. He knows he screwed it up. If he won't come down let him rip someone else off.

chuckman
01-20-2010, 12:54
Ask for the discount. Get it or walk. As for an idiot scratch, it's a gun, not a new kidney. I'd have no problem buying a gun with a scratch or two (for the right discount).

ajgranda
01-20-2010, 13:58
Yep, I decided to pass on this again. The dealer has been kind of sketchy with details about the gun and keeps re-listing it on gunbroker with 0 bids. I think there is more to this gun than just the idiot scratch.

I prefer to buy new anyway. Just need to save up a little more and do it right. Thanks

DYLANB80
01-20-2010, 16:15
Yep, I decided to pass on this again. The dealer has been kind of sketchy with details about the gun and keeps re-listing it on gunbroker with 0 bids. I think there is more to this gun than just the idiot scratch.

I prefer to buy new anyway. Just need to save up a little more and do it right. Thanks

Sounds like a good decision. Find a new one you can scratch. :cool:

ajgranda
01-20-2010, 16:41
Sounds like a good decision. Find a new one you can scratch. :cool:

I'll be using this :supergrin: :

http://1911-ispt.com/

tango44
01-20-2010, 17:51
Here is a pic of the gun. Its a dealer demo, 150 rds through it. Appears to be in great shape except for this idiot scratch which dealer did during cleaning and reassembly to sell. Offering 12% off asking which is already discounted about 13% from MSRP. What do you think?
Thanks

Edit: Its about 12% off Dealers asking for a new discounted version. I had also posted about this once before, but I'm trying to talk the dealer down another $100. I hadnt noticed the idiot scratch prior to that although it was advertised as being 99%. Don't think I will go for it if he doesn't bulge.

How much for the gun?
What's the discount for the Idiot scratch?
Keep it simple bro.
Thank you.

faawrenchbndr
01-20-2010, 17:57
I'll be using this :supergrin: :

http://1911-ispt.com/

Do this instead!

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653&highlight=idiot+proof

Navitimer
01-20-2010, 21:34
I think you made a wise decision. Based on your perception that he may not be 100% honest, who's to say his representation of 150 rounds isn't significantly more?

Javelin
01-20-2010, 21:39
Dealer is a rip off artist. New is new. A gun with 150 rounds through it is not new, it's used. Period. I wouldn't work with a shifty dealer like that.

You can buy a new pistol at a fair price somewhere else.

This.

DAT85
01-21-2010, 03:46
Well he said the pics of the gun ,that he stated was in 99% condition, showed that scratch, which it did, but I didnt notice. I offered him a price not realizing the scratch, which he accepted. Now that I did see it, I told him I wanted another $100 off.

I work at a gun shop and if a customer tried to sell us a gun like that as "99%"condition I would say no deal.
As this piece is hard chromed,you SHOULD be able to use a polis(Flitz,etc)to rub it out or at least make it less noticable.
But as has been previously stated,if the gun walks out the door at a shop,even if it hasn't been shot,it's used.
Caveat Emptor

Regards,
DAT85

Big_Drunk
01-21-2010, 07:58
I thinking two things.

If you feel like the dealer is a little shady, the deal isn't great, and something else might be wrong with the pistol TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. There will be other 1911's available.

If there is some little thing that bothers you while you are looking at the gun in the gunshop (pre-ownership). You will end up hating that thing that slightly bothered you before you bought. Imagine yourself getting home with the pistol after purchase and looking at the shallow mark in your living room. Could you live with it? (Not to contradict myself, but it actually looks really faint in the picture. I actually think it could be greatly reduced with polishing).

Big_Drunk
01-21-2010, 08:00
Also, regarding the value aspect of the deal. You pointed out that the dealer was having trouble selling the pistol, even on line.

If he's having trouble, so would you if you decide it's not the right pistol for you. It's a sure indicator that the price is set too high.

bubbaskyjacker
01-23-2010, 14:39
i saw a night hawk with over 50k rounds through it and i though it maybe had a couple hundred. so you really want a honest person selling you one of those, awesome gun no matter what