Carry Cal. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry Cal.

Alliance50
01-20-2010, 13:06
Hello
I have been carrying for a long time and my two favorite Calibers are the 10mm and the 45acp.
My question is why is there so much talk on forums these days about the 10mm not being a good self defense carry rd?

It's seems as that everyone refers to this rd as a hunting or four legged gun, I'm curious why that is i think it makes a hell of a SD gun.

fredj338
01-20-2010, 13:26
I think because most can not shoo the heavier recoiling round as well as the light 40. Same w/ 45acp+P. The extra recoil slows most, including me, down for multiple shots. The object is to hit w/ every shot & extra recoil slows you down in order to get those hits. JMO, & I regularly shoot 44mags & heavy 45colts, but I know I am slower w/ followup shots when going much beyond std 45acp especially in a lt.wt. 1911 or G36.

Free Radical
01-20-2010, 13:30
There is some concern about over penetration and all that implies. Also a 10mm. hand gun will be a larger platform than one in 9mm., 40.S&W, 357.SIG and etc. So it's a given that a larger gun is a little more difficult to conceal.
I don't have problems with either of those issues. Just throwing out some possible reasons for you.

TwinFourFives
01-20-2010, 18:14
Most people can probably do more damage with a 9mm or a good .45 platform quicker than with a 10mm pistol. In self defense situations that raise need for a firearm, there is no time to be wasted.