Can I convert a handgun to DAO by just removing sear? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can I convert a handgun to DAO by just removing sear?

dberry
01-20-2010, 15:12
I was detail cleaning my Taurus PT99 and removed sear and was thinking if I left the sear out would the gun function long term like this. I put everything back together adn shot a mag through it and everything was fine other than the heavy trigger pull. The safety was unuseable but that is not a factor to me. Is this ok mechanically to keep like this?

DJ Niner
01-21-2010, 01:49
No, probably not.

Without the sear to hold the hammer to the rear as the slide closes after the first shot, the hammer may "follow" the slide with enough energy to strike the firing pin and fire the next cartridge as the slide closes. This may result in uncontrolled full-automatic firing, or (if it fires before barrel/slide locking is completed) a burst casing and/or blown-up weapon.

Definitely not recommended.

Brucev
01-21-2010, 05:59
If I understand your post correctly, after detail cleaning your PT99 you reassembled it but did not install the sear. You subsequently fired the pistol with no apparent problems. You ask if this is mechanically a good idea. First, the sear is what holds the hammer cocked until firing. If in actuality you removed the sear, the pistol would not fire as the hammer would just follow the slide down in the recoil cycle. You might want to look at a parts list of the pistol as the part you chose not to reinstall is most likely not the sear. If you want to set your PT99 up for DAO, you may be able to purchase the parts for such a conversion from Gunparts Corp. or Numrich, etc. But just looking at schematic of the PT99, conversion of your pistol to DAO using the factory stock sear, trigger bar, etc. does not look workable unless one is able to do some parts substitution. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.