Sig 556 - Classic versus Patrol? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig 556 - Classic versus Patrol?

SVTNate
01-20-2010, 16:40
I've been looking at the Sig 556 rifles as an alternative to the AR platform, which I'm not thrilled with and prefer my Rifle Dynamics AK's to my Noveske AR's most of the time. Sig has a lighter, more compact "Patrol" variant of the 556 rifle, which to my very limited understanding of this gun has a shortened action. Does anyone know anything about the short action 556 rifles, whether they're less reliable, just as good, any other input? Any input on the 556 rifles in general? I've really been thinking about selling my AR's, which rarely get used, but I've got mags and ammo stockpiled so it'd be a waste to not at least have *something* that'll shoot that ammo, use those mags, and I figured a 556 would be something new and fun that is also affordable (unlike the SCAR)

hardeyes
01-20-2010, 17:11
I've been looking at the Sig 556 rifles as an alternative to the AR platform, which I'm not thrilled with and prefer my Rifle Dynamics AK's to my Noveske AR's most of the time. Sig has a lighter, more compact "Patrol" variant of the 556 rifle, which to my very limited understanding of this gun has a shortened action. Does anyone know anything about the short action 556 rifles, whether they're less reliable, just as good, any other input? Any input on the 556 rifles in general? I've really been thinking about selling my AR's, which rarely get used, but I've got mags and ammo stockpiled so it'd be a waste to not at least have *something* that'll shoot that ammo, use those mags, and I figured a 556 would be something new and fun that is also affordable (unlike the SCAR)

Hello;

Saw some at a the shop, but had some doubts, not about the 556 per say, but about the quality of Sig Arms.

They seem to be producing products with some issues, and that was always on my mind.

Anyways, there have been reports of satisfied owners. Just do you're research, and make sure Sig will stand behind thier warrenty.

good luck

hardeyes

CW Mock
01-20-2010, 19:36
I have never shot one, and only got to glance at one a single time in person.

From that limited hands on experience, and then what I have researched, I like the looks of the Classic more than the Patrol. The Classic has the more proven design of the two (short vs long action). I like gas piston guns, and wish I could afford a SiG. But like all things SiG, it seems you are paying premium rates for average products. There seems to be nothing revolutionary about the SiG556 rifle, but they charge like its solid gold, and a blaster from the future. if I had the chance though, I'd probably swap one of my ARs and some cash for a Classic.

If you do get one, please give us a review. There are a lot of AR threads here, and I am always interested in other options.

SVTNate
01-21-2010, 02:14
A local shop has both the Classic and the Patrol in stock. I talked to the guy today and he said he prefers the Patrol, because the Classic feels a bit nose-heavy, and he also told me that they've sold a lot of Patrols with the short action and he hasn't heard any complaints about reliability, recoil, or anything else associated with the short action. I haven't found anything online either, but then again I haven't had much luck finding a wealth of user experience with the 556 rifles either. Seems that the guys who do own them are happy. I'm sure the limited aftermarket has a lot to do with the lower numbers of owners, but I've been there, done that with AR's and I just want a bone-stock rifle with an EOTech on top of it.

Daekwan
01-21-2010, 10:30
Consider this a late Christmas present:

$300 off rebate form for an 556 purchase

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/984406/

hardeyes
01-21-2010, 15:35
Hello;

If it's not against the rules, maybe you can find you're answer here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=45

hardeyes

SVTNate
01-27-2010, 00:53
Well I found both the Classic and Patrol to be too heavy. The Patrol was balanced better, but still felt heavy, and fit/finish was IMO not up to par with top tier AR builders like Colt/Noveske/LMT.

I ended up purchasing a full LMT rifle... 16 inch MRP upper with a Defender lower (SOPMOD stock and 2-stage trigger). I figured I'd try the 2-stage trigger after handling that and the standard single-stage several times in the shop. The 2-stage is a bit smoother, maybe a bit lighter... obviously hard to tell since it's just the lower and you have to hold your finger against the hammer to prevent it from slamming into the receiver... but I plan on running an ACOG for some longer range shooting and I figured the 2-stage might be a bit better for that. Plus, it'll be fine for training and other CQB distance shooting. Is it worth the extra 100 bucks? I don't know, but it's something different to try, and considering how much it all cost the 100 bucks is not a big deal.

I'll probably replace the standard ergo grip with a MIAD, pick up some Troy folding BUIS, and call it a day. I can't wait to shoot it!

hardeyes
01-27-2010, 14:30
Hello;

I don't own a AR system yet, but I am certainly looking into the Noveske/BCM/LMT Rifles.

I did see and handle a Sig 556 Classic, but it did not impress me as something better than the AR.

That and the customer service, and Quality Service with Sig (I owned a Mosquito & Sig 239), was the final draw.

Anyways, Be sure to give some range reports on you're new rifle.
:cool:

hardeyes