The perfect scope [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The perfect scope

RWBlue
01-20-2010, 20:46
Spec. out the perfect rifle scope for hunting East of the Mississippi and in Europe. Explain why you would spec it out that way.

Assume dusk, dawn shots in the US, assume night shots in EU.

Assume stationary shots as well as stalking.

Assume close up shots as well as those over a bean field.

Yes, I am trying to spec out a generic, do everything scope. IF I do this, I will buy more than one and.... mount it on a 22LR, mount is on a 223, mount it on a 308... And I know I could buy specific scopes for each setup, but play along for now.

PS. I don't want you to tell me to buy this brand or that brand, If you love a specific scope transfer the spec. then tell me the brand and model.

Max1775
01-20-2010, 21:03
Really can't go wrong with a good 3-9x40 to 2.5-10x44 with good glass. Small enough to be mounted on light calibers, yet powerful and clear enough for 800 yard shots with a .308. Excellent light gathering and durable. Great all around scope if you can afford one is the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42. I like Nikon for inexpensive scopes, and still use Leupold as well. Zeiss will probably be my next purchase for the 25-06...

vafish
01-20-2010, 21:12
Assuming you are talking big game hunting.

Power: 2-7x
Objective lens: as big as you can get
Tube diameter: as big as you can get
Lenses fully coated or multi coated

My suggestion Leopold 2-7x33 European with 30MM tube. Only thing I think it is missing is a lighted reticule.

2x is low enough power for walking up on game and 7x is plenty for any reasonable shot on big game.

Might go higher power on a .223 meant for varmint hunting.

RWBlue
01-20-2010, 22:26
Assuming you are talking big game hunting.

Thinking one scope make model, multiple platforms.
Small game, medium game, large game, self defense......

The only thing not on the menu is gofers out west.

vafish
01-21-2010, 15:01
Thinking one scope make model, multiple platforms.
Small game, medium game, large game, self defense......

The only thing not on the menu is gofers out west.

I think you are much better off having different scopes for the specific rifles job.

But a 2-7X is a good all around scope.

I have no experience with them and I'm sure they cost a lot, but Trijicon has a 2.5-10X 56MM Objective 30MM tube with dual illumination system that might be the perfect all around scope.