Eotech XPS heads up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Eotech XPS heads up

Travclem
01-21-2010, 12:23
I recently aquired 3 XPS2-2 sights and just wanted to bear warning that the two dots within the circle look more like a vertical line than 2 dots. I'll admit that they doo look better out in the sunlight but still not very clear. I called Eotech and am trading them for 3 XPS2-0 which have the original Eotech reticle. Just a heads up incase you were curious about this new reticle.

MARSH1
01-21-2010, 23:47
I recently aquired 3 XPS2-2 sights and just wanted to bear warning that the two dots within the circle look more like a vertical line than 2 dots. I'll admit that they doo look better out in the sunlight but still not very clear. I called Eotech and am trading them for 3 XPS2-0 which have the original Eotech reticle. Just a heads up incase you were curious about this new reticle.

Were you looking through the sight at the target or looking at the reticle. We get customers calling all the time when they first get one of our red dots, a EOTech or Aimpoint saying there is something wrong because the dot is not clear or they see multiple dots. 98% of the time they are looking into the optic and their eye can not properly focus. 1% need glasses. 1% have a astigmatism. It is just like irons in that it might take a little practice to get a clear sight picture.

Norcal911
01-21-2010, 23:56
Also turn it down. Mine was real fuzzy when I got it. It hasn't changed, I just learned to look at the target and turn the brightness down as much as I can and still see the reticle-Norcal911

Jer
01-22-2010, 01:24
This is also why I opted for the standard EO reticle. The other one seemed like a good idea but I decided it would be too busy. You can always hold over the same spot that 2nd dot is pretty easily.

Three-Five-Seven
01-22-2010, 08:29
People with astigmatism have trouble with the display when not wearing their corrective glasses.

kiole
01-22-2010, 08:38
first time i got my eotech i thought the thing was broken. Until i realized it was my astigmatism along with the brightness being to high. After lowering the brightness the dot was much clearer and I was able to use the sight much easier.

Travclem
01-22-2010, 20:00
Were you looking through the sight at the target or looking at the reticle. We get customers calling all the time when they first get one of our red dots, a EOTech or Aimpoint saying there is something wrong because the dot is not clear or they see multiple dots. 98% of the time they are looking into the optic and their eye can not properly focus. 1% need glasses. 1% have a astigmatism. It is just like irons in that it might take a little practice to get a clear sight picture.
I was looking at the target on a low setting. I called EOTech and they said they were having problems with this particular reticle.

Travclem
01-22-2010, 20:01
Also turn it down. Mine was real fuzzy when I got it. It hasn't changed, I just learned to look at the target and turn the brightness down as much as I can and still see the reticle-Norcal911
tried it at all settings, it sucks.

Kentak
01-22-2010, 20:04
Folks new to EOTechs may tend to crank the brightness up much higher than really needed. That makes a *big* difference in the "crispness" of the reticle.

Whatever the ambient light conditions may be, crank the brightness down until the reticle becomes hard to see. Then bump it up just until you get a clear, noticeable reticle, then stop. If you're shooting late in the day, bump the brightness down as dusk approaches.

(posted before reading the above, so if my advice doesn't help, then maybe this particular reticle is having problems)

KalashniKEV
01-23-2010, 11:35
Folks new to EOTechs may tend to crank the brightness up much higher than really needed. That makes a *big* difference in the "crispness" of the reticle.

+1000

I think this is the main reason why people talk about the "speckle" and "haze" and "busy" on the interwebz.

I've only confirmed it once, but I had someone say he was GTG at the range, but he only experienced "speckle" in his house and had determined that his EOtech was no good indoors. (!?!)

He handed me the rifle to determine if it was broken and the reticle was on BLAZE.

You have to be smarter than the equipment you're working with. Up and down arrows are pretty self explanatory though...

Kentak
01-23-2010, 14:45
+1000

I think this is the main reason why people talk about the "speckle" and "haze" and "busy" on the interwebz.

Yes, sir, thank you. I call the effect of an overly bright setting "grainy." It's as if the reticle was being projected through a glass beaded screen. Just turn that puppy down and it will become nice and crisp and with plenty of contrast.'

Obviously, if you're in a "tactical" situation where you have to go abruptly from a dim interior to a bright exterior, you could lose the reticle. But, that's where the co-witnessed front sight comes in, if you have one. You can still be in the fight until you get a chance to up the brightness. (I don't know this from personal experience, just repeating what I've read on the interwebs) Of course, this kind of situation is where light-gathering fiber-optic sights shine (pun intended).