It's 2010...Is the GAP round still a dying breed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : It's 2010...Is the GAP round still a dying breed?

tarheelman23
01-21-2010, 19:02
Ok guys, I am fairly new to the world of Glocks, and I have noticed that the g37, 38, and 39 can be bought on gunbroker for 389.00. That is a great price, but there has to be a reason why the guns are so cheap. So that leads me to believe that the GAP is on its way out. I would love to have one! What do you guys think?

dougader
01-21-2010, 19:03
:popcorn:

KiloBravo
01-21-2010, 19:14
That is a great price for a Glock, and from everything I have read and heard about the .45 GAP, it is an outstanding round.

However, I personally will stick with .45 ACP myself. It has been proven for a very long time and ammo is easier to find around these here parts than the GAP is.

Just my $0.02. :wavey:

crenca
01-21-2010, 21:01
Even if it is "on it's way out" it will take a long time. If it is not in decline, then it is slowly increasing. Either way it will always be a niche caliber because the 45 acp has such market penetration and dominance.

If you are thinking about it, just plan on trying harder to find ammo and spending a little more when you do.

I shoot 6.8 (AR variant round). It's expensive, hard to find, but it's not 'dying'. Will it ever be as cheap and plentiful as 5.56? No. But it serves a purpose...

Butch
01-21-2010, 22:22
So that leads me to believe that the GAP is on its way out.
If it's 'on its way out', it sure is taking its time leaving.

Do you know when it was first made?

Get one! Most that do so really like them, especially the G38.

9mm +p+
01-22-2010, 00:09
Yep, and it should die off as it's completely unecessary. It was foisted on the gun buying world just so glock could get their name on a cartridge, marketing BS, period. I does nothing the easy to find and very capable 45 ACP doesn't already, and spare me the "it fits in a smaller frame" horse excrement excuse. My petite 5'1" GF shoots all of my full sized 45's just fine no need for a kiddie sized frame. Let it go, no one will miss it...

TACC GLOCK
01-22-2010, 00:22
Still carry my G37 and loving it every day

tjpet
01-22-2010, 00:24
Yep, and it should die off as it's completely unecessary. It was foisted on the gun buying world just so glock could get their name on a cartridge, marketing BS, period. I does nothing the easy to find and very capable 45 ACP doesn't already, and spare me the "it fits in a smaller frame" horse excrement excuse. My petite 5'1" GF shoots all of my full sized 45's just fine no need for a kiddie sized frame. Let it go, no one will miss it...

Foisted? I doubt it. More likely Glock saw there was a niche that needed filling.

Good that your GF can shoot fullsize .45s without problem - a lot of folks can't. For those people the the smaller frame/GAP is a blessing.

mhmills
01-22-2010, 01:00
The G39 is one of the best Glocks made. It has 7 rounds of .45 in a true sub-compact.

pmj
01-22-2010, 07:10
I've carried a full-size 1911 for several years and still do. Also carry the GAP on occasion - I like it. Also have a couple of pistols chambered in .357 Sig - I like them and the cartridge as well.

As far as the GAP being "necessary" or not - could say the same about the short magnum rifle cartridges. Long action - short action. To each his own and different strokes for different folks. For instance, the .308 Win. for hunting, Military or LE work. It's a great round but there are other calibers that are more efficient and offer better performance in all three arenas.

Maybe Mr. Glock did want his name on a new cartridge, maybe not. So what? Could say the same about Sig with the .357 Sig. and I remember all the hoopla about that caliber when it first came out. For certain - the .357 Sig is doing well and Mr. Glock already had his name out there on pistols made by his company that are being used world-wide - just like Sig. At least we have choices.

Perhaps it's in the eye of the beholder/user but could any caliber, or gun for that matter, be considered a "niche" or fill one? Maybe it depends on the needs/requirements of the user? Don't exactly know - just food for thought.

The debate is good. Same thing about new and different guns, calibers and gear. It means that the industry hasn't gone stagnant and the companies are still working and doing research and development. Also causes us in the gun world to get out and shoot and support the industry - which is just what the anti-gun crowd does NOT want to see happen.

Again, I do like the GAP and will use it as it does fill a "niche" in my personal needs and requirements. If it doesn't do that for you and yours, that's OK too.

BOGE
01-22-2010, 09:57

Just as .45 ACP was FOISTED upon us by the U.S. military in 1911 when we had the venerable .45 Colt, right? :upeyes::supergrin:

sgt rock
01-22-2010, 21:57

Its just another cartridge that has taken advantage of the modern propellents. If it becomes more popular the world wont end, the 45acp wont magically vanish , your girl friend wont leave you for a GAP guy so please grow up.

big68
01-22-2010, 22:19
Get the 45GAP Pistol and a Dillon press to reload. I will stick to the 9mm and 45acp.

wavetrain75
01-22-2010, 22:33
Get the 45GAP Pistol and a Dillon press to reload...

Pretty much what he said. Or even just a little single stage press, they work fine if you learn to pace yourself and aren't trying to load 1000 rounds in one sitting.

From everything I've heard it's a perfectly good round, I'd just hate to have to pay to feed it. Hence reloading. If you reload you can shoot whatever oddball or obsolete round you want. Just don't expect to find much for range pickup brass, you'll have to buy it all to start with and then keep track of it.

AWESOMO 4000
01-23-2010, 01:38
Hey the more the merrier! The G38 is intriguing to me...8+1 in a G19 sized package is a compelling argument. Yes the G30 holds more but it is a chunky little guy. Screw it, get both, at $389 for a new Glock, how can you go wrong? :supergrin:

PATRICE
01-23-2010, 08:45

tarheelman23
01-23-2010, 09:11
I think AA makes a .22 conversion kit for the GAP series.

mesteve2
01-23-2010, 09:25
The people who shoot it love it.

Here to stay.

Growing in use.

LEO's are going to it.